Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 5:50:00 AM EDT
Remember way back when.  DST was for farmers to have more daylight to work.  Here in Texas it doesn't get dark until 9 pm.  But you have to get up in the dark.  It's more of the puppet masters micro management.  Wouldn't it be good if they would quit screwing with the time?  Then we might have a sense of the changing seasons.  Rant, rant, rant ... it pisses me off every year.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I will finnaly have some daylight to enjoy when I get home from work past 6pm.

Sorry.  I like it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard that too about the children won't have to be in the dark to go to school, but, if you move the clock up an hour, it makes it dark when they go to school.  Go figure.  And another thing:  Summer Vacation; it originally was for kids to help their families on the farm.  Now it's an entitlement.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
My second retirement check should arrive in the mail tomorrow.....so I just looked at the clock, laughed...and went back to sleep..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
In 2007 DST will start in March and end in November due to a new federal law.  Now, since the time zones were originally designed to assist trains in moving between large geographic areas and provide for regular service I suppose the fact that most people no longer ride trains should provide the evidence for a cessation of time zones?
Go to bed and take a nap....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#7]
We can blame ZE EFFICIENT GERMANS for this hour shift crap. Time is relative we still have the same amount of daylight. Besides last night WE GAINED an hour not lost it! That comes in the fall. We should just stay on DLST all the time or ST stopall this shifting bullshisse.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I already get up at 4:30am for work.

I'm not looking forward to 3:30am tomorrow

GM

But staying light until 8:00pm =  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I will finnaly have some daylight to enjoy when I get home from work past 6pm.

Sorry.  I like it.

+1
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Just about twice every year right after the time changes that they blame some car accidents on people who were groggy because they hadn't adjust to the new time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We can blame ZE EFFICIENT GERMANS for this hour shift crap. Time is relative we still have the same amount of daylight. Besides last night WE GAINED an hour not lost it! That comes in the fall. We should just stay on DLST all the time or ST stopall this shifting bullshisse.

How do I gain an hour when I move the clock straight from 2am to 3am???

Woody
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought they did it for children - so that they wouldn't have to go to school in the dark back when kids walked to school in the 1960s and 70s and for went they rode the bus in the 1980s. Now that every kid's mom drives them to school does it really matter?

I want my hour of sleep back!

DST was, IIRC, about aligning the 'work day time' to save energy... IIRC it goes back to either WWI or WWII....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In 2007 DST will start in March and end in November due to a new federal law.  Now, since the time zones were originally designed to assist trains in moving between large geographic areas and provide for regular service I suppose the fact that most people no longer ride trains should provide the evidence for a cessation of time zones?
Go to bed and take a nap....

Well, unless you want the whole damn world on Zulu time, it's not so bright....

It's 2338 where I am right now... Absolutely pitch dark...

I doubt it's like that for you guys as we speak...

Time zones have their purpose...

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought they did it for children - so that they wouldn't have to go to school in the dark back when kids walked to school in the 1960s and 70s and for went they rode the bus in the 1980s. Now that every kid's mom drives them to school does it really matter?

I want my hour of sleep back!

DST was, IIRC, about aligning the 'work day time' to save energy... IIRC it goes back to either WWI or WWII....

+1

"It is sometimes asserted that DST was first proposed by Benjamin Franklin in a letter to the editors of the Journal of Paris. Read the full text. However, the article was humorous; Franklin was not proposing DST, but rather that people should get up and go to bed earlier.

It was first seriously proposed by William Willett in the "Waste of Daylight", published in 1907, but he was unable to get the British government to adopt it despite considerable lobbying.

The idea of daylight saving time was first put into practice by the German government during the First World War between April 30 and October 1, 1916. Shortly afterward, the United Kingdom followed suit, first adopting DST between May 21 and October 1, 1916. Then on March 19, 1918, the U.S. Congress established several time zones (which were already in use by railroads and most cities since 1883) and made daylight saving time official (which went into effect on March 31) for the remainder of World War I. It was observed for seven months in 1918 and 1919. The law, however, proved so unpopular (mostly because people rose and went to bed earlier than in current times) that it was later repealed."

and

"Starting March 11, 2007, daylight saving time will be extended another four to five weeks, from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November. The change was introduced by the Energy Policy Act of 2005; the House had originally approved a motion that would have extended DST even further from the first Sunday in March to the last Sunday in November. Proponents claimed that the extension would save "the equivalent of" 10,000 barrels of oil per day, but this figure was based on U.S. Department of Energy information from the 1970s, the accuracy and relevance of which the DoE no longer stands by. There is very little recent research on what the actual positive effects, if any, might be. (See this article, for example.)"
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#15]
More info than you need (or care), to know about DST

Personaly, I wish DST would stay in  effect 365 days a year.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Now i only got 5 hours of sleep last night.... and i'm hungover and slighty high. AND I must depart for work in 2 minutes!!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Fuck yeah...  Drill weekend too!

Mother Fucking DST!
~Dg84
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I love it!  Now I can tee off at 3:30 and still get 18 in!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Bush's fault.

It's part of why I voted for him.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I love it!  Now I can tee off at 3:30 and still get 18 in!

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
More info than you need (or care), to know about DST

Personaly, I wish DST would stay in  effect 365 days a year.

I like that idea too.
And I think the accidents are caused by people updating their car clocks in the morning.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Back in the day, I bought some mountain property in Trinity Co. in Northern Cal. I was at 4000 feet, adjacent to a huge national wilderness.  I did not own a watch.  I built a cabin, planed a garden and fenced it; shot game, made jerky, canned food, did some tree falling (logging) in the short summer, chopped a lot wood (10-11 cords a year); and never knew what time it was.  After the first 9 months, I felt like a great weight had been lifted.  All those "city things" had slipped away.  I felt in synch with planet.  I should have stayed there.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top