Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/2/2006 3:41:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 3:41:34 AM EDT by COZ]
They want $87 for one and $110 for two. I've seen people build thier own battery packs for RC Planes etc.. FRIGGIN NICADS, I'll be glad when they invent a better battery for these drills, tools.

Post #2600! I'll never understand how some of you can get up into the 10,000+ numbers.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:46:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By COZ:
They want $87 for one and $110 for two. I've seen people build thier own battery packs for RC Planes etc.. FRIGGIN NICADS, I'll be glad when they invent a better battery for these drills, tools.

Post #2600! I'll never understand how some of you can get up into the 10,000+ numbers.

Most likely it's a NiMH or Li-Ion battery, not a NiCD...

Big price diff
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:47:31 AM EDT
google rebuilt dewalt batteries
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:50:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dave_A:

Big price diff

That's why it's aggravating, They are ni-cads. If they were NiMH or Li-Ion they wouldn't get trashed so easy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:19:59 AM EDT
Go on ebay and get one there. I just got one for work (genuine dewalt) and it was 29.00 cheaper than anywhere else.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:01:47 AM EDT
NiCd is great stuff...

<­BR>

If you have the proper charging algorithm the battery would outlast the device. There's too much money to be lost if your NiCd batteries lasted as long as technology allowed. NiMH or Li-Ion are "dry" chemistry cells. They pack alot of punch for their size/weight but no way to make them last "forever" like a wet cell. The trick is keeping the hydrogen genie in the bottle.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:09:32 AM EDT
these tools are so handy I don't think twice about having to buy a new battery. i believe there are three levels of Dewalt batteries. Go to a Dewalt dealer and talk to them, sometimes they can repair your battery. If not, buy thebest one he has, XRP or something like that....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:13:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 5:14:01 AM EDT by JFP]

be thankful you're not a post whore, I've surfed this site many hours a day since 2000 (registered a year later) but I, generally, try not to post "bogusly" (literary license)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:15:53 AM EDT
How old is it? Dewalt will give you a new one if it's not that old. [More than a couple of years old.] I take bad ones in once every couple months and get exchanges.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:56:00 AM EDT
Check in your yellow pages and see if you have a Batteries Plus store around. They will rebuild 18/14.4/12 Volt batteries for about 1/3 of what new ones cost. Similar battery type stores may offer similiar services
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:17:00 AM EDT
Don't waste your time. On E-Bay you can get them for half price sometimes. Check with the HD or Lowes in your area and ask when the rep is comming buy. Tell the rep the battery is shot. I have always gotten a new battery for Free. its worth a shot. You can even call the rep and they will call the store for an exchange. Its worth a try.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:36:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lakeguy:
Check in your yellow pages and see if you have a Batteries Plus store around. They will rebuild 18/14.4/12 Volt batteries for about 1/3 of what new ones cost. Similar battery type stores may offer similiar services

I setup RF manufacturing and inventory control systems.
The batteries for the handheld RF terminals can run big bucks for certain models.
When they're broken (wrapping or contacts), I take them to Batteries Plus and get them fixed for 1/10th the price of new ones.

Good advice on a very viable option.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:33:21 AM EDT
I just got my 14.4 Dewalt rebuilt at Batteries Plus for $37 out the door. The last fall onto a concrete floor was just too much for it...I too am annoyed at the poor life ya get out of these things...after only 9 years of building numerous decks, driving lagbolts and such, it just gives out because of a simple little fall...hope the other battery pack I got also 9 years ago isn't so fragile...of course, some would say that 9+ years is pretty good life for a Nicad battery...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:01:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dave_A:

Very few cordless tool battery packs are NiMH or Li-Ion - Until very recently, the lower cost and lower interal resistance of NiCads made them the preferred cell in this application. Generally, the few exceptions advertise the fact that they are NiMH on the outside of the pack.

You might also consider posting an inquiry on the Candlepower Forums, in the FLASHLIGHT ELECTRONICS - BATTERIES INCLUDED section - Should be no shortage of folks there who have attempted something similar.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:06:52 PM EDT
All three of my 18v batteries died within two weeks of each other.
Top Top