Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/1/2006 6:58:34 PM EDT
we were shutting down at work and stopped by one of the ponds to turn off a machine and spooked this guy up. He went down with two shots from my sig trailside. the shot gun is just for refrence. forgive the face it was a long day at work and the camera was a disposable.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/blackandsilver4x4/mesnake.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/blackandsilver4x4/shotgunsnake.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/blackandsilver4x4/snake2.jpg
damit can't get pics to work.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
we were shutting down at work and stopped by one of the ponds to turn off a machine and spooked this guy up. He went down with two shots from my sig trailside. the shot gun is just for refrence. forgive the face it was a long day at work and the camera was a disposable.

damit can't get pics to work.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Nuke 'em from orbit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.

Mount it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]
i'm currently salting the hide.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice shooting!
I had one like that size and two smaller ones nesting near the lake behind my house couple years ago.  I was afraid of my dogs gettin gbitten so I took care of them one day with a 7 feet piece of 2" PVC pipe.  Sorta like hand-to-hand combat

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw his cousin last spring. Lucky for him I wasn't packin' at the time.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
That will make a nice belt
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/f8463685-c869-4476-9868-d05a531fcea7.jpg

how big was that gator, err moccisin?

Cotton mouths aren't suppossed to be this far north, but 1 was up a small creek me and dogs are in commonly on the other side of the mountain last year. Somehow it must have gotten upstream to this area from the new river I guess. It shouldn't have been in that either.
At least it wasn't flying the mexican flag though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Are they edible?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's a crock of fucking bullshit.  No way those damn things should be able to get away with being alive.  Motherfucker, I like the south but I could never live there - you've got those spawn of satan in the east, and fucking snakes of all kinds AND scorpions (and big spiders too) in the west.

Fuck, I saw a rattler in the road a few summers ago, and about jumped into the passenger seat of my truck because my window was open when I passed the bastard at 30MPH.  Yes, I have a fear of fucking snakes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Good Job, that fucker deserves to be dead
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a crock of fucking bullshit.  No way those damn things should be able to get away with being alive.  Motherfucker, I like the south but I could never live there - you've got those spawn of satan in the east, and fucking snakes of all kinds AND scorpions (and big spiders too) in the west.

Fuck, I saw a rattler in the road a few summers ago, and about jumped into the passenger seat of my truck because my window was open when I passed the bastard at 30MPH.  Yes, I have a fear of fucking snakes.

wow... you know.. you can seek therapy for this, and most of the time it will be covered by your medical.  I had a friend who was like that with birds... just something from her childhood.  She went and saw a professional, It helped her bigtime.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am just getting used to living in the same part of the state as rattlesnakes so I know how you feel.  However, I just run the SOB's over.

SBG
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow... you know.. you can seek therapy for this, and most of the time it will be covered by your medical.  I had a friend who was like that with birds... just something from her childhood.  She went and saw a professional, It helped her bigtime.

Well, the guns help.  If I ever see a rattler in the wild, I will probably unleash more firepower upon that fucking thing than a whole armored division can muster.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Well, the guns help.  If I ever see a rattler in the wild, I will probably pull down my pants and take a few pictures of it with my erect penis on it's cheek.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, the guns help.  If I ever see a rattler in the wild, I will probably pull down my pants and take a few pictures of it with my erect penis on it's cheek.  

Good idea.  I can humiliate the motherfucker to death.....

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#19]
no reason to fear rattle snakes or copperheads in my opinion, moccisins are agressive though.

I saw some discovery channel show years ago about africa, I kid you not they showed this snake that must have been 15 feet long and black going through the tall grass in the plains, said it was poisionous and aggressive.  It raised it's head up about 2 feet off the ground to look at them.
We have it made it the u.s.., except for florida and some of the southeastern states with their gators.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I also read something about some explorer there who saw something that looked like a small child crawl into the brush from the side of the trail a ways ahead, .... a spider.
I know, people say they can't get that big but people are often wrong about nature.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Thats no snake , its the Locness monster !!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#22]
poor snake
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:48:23 AM EDT
[#23]
This thread gives me the heebee jeebees. I freakin' hate water moccassins and have come close on several occassions to getting bit by them while walking through the woods behind my house.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Are they edible?

Yep (or, at least, rattlesnakes are and, since moccassins and rattlers are both apart of the same family of snakes, moccassins probably are as well).
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:52:43 AM EDT
[#25]
About two weeks ago I'm in the desert out in Arizona.  I'm moving along in the truck with my arm hanging out of the window as low as I can get it with my spotlot.  Up ahead I see a kangaroo rat frozen in fear.  Sucker doesn't move, just sits there paralized until I get a few feet away and finally comes to it's senses and hops off into the darkness.  Pretty weird I thought.  So I go a few more feet in the truck, look down and there is a coiled up rattler checking me out, right under my arm  Guess I messed up his dinner plans.

A little spooked I was.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Cotton mouths aren't suppossed to be this far north, but 1 was up a small creek me and dogs are in commonly on the other side of the mountain last year. Somehow it must have gotten upstream to this area from the new river I guess. It shouldn't have been in that either.

It was probably a harmless water snake. There are several species, and they're often mistaken for cotton mouths. Even most of the "cotton mouths" seen in the deep south, especially the ones that hang in trees above the water, are actually non-venomous species.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was probably a harmless water snake. There are several species, and they're often mistaken for cotton mouths. Even most of the "cotton mouths" seen in the deep south, especially the ones that hang in trees above the water, are actually non-venomous species.

Kill 'em all (or, at least, the ones that look poisonous) . I'd rather be wrong than in the emergency room.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I saw some discovery channel show years ago about africa, I kid you not they showed this snake that must have been 15 feet long and black going through the tall grass in the plains, said it was poisionous and aggressive.  It raised it's head up about 2 feet off the ground to look at them.
We have it made it the u.s.., except for florida and some of the southeastern states with their gators.

Black Mamba?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:09:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Keeeee-rist!
That is a god-awful big viper.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:16:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw his cousin last spring. Lucky for him I wasn't packing' at the time.

That bad mofo's  picture was taken on the Cheatam Wildlife Management Area just North of Nashville, TN. When we first saw him he was about 10 feet away on a levy. He grinned at us with that big white mouth open. My dear wife was packing the camera and was too startled to get it out any sooner as he stared us down. When I backed up and threw a stick at him was when he backed down and slithered into the water.

I've often wondered if I'd been packed (which I should have been) and I'd shot that sumbitch (which I would have) could we have gotten out of there before a WMA Game Warden got to us? I do believe if he'd seen that snake he'd of let me go free, maybe even bought me a beer
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw his cousin last spring. Lucky for him I wasn't packing' at the time.

That bad mofo's  picture was taken on the Cheatam Wildlife Management Area just North of Nashville, TN. When we first saw him he was about 10 feet away on a levy. He grinned at us with that big white mouth open. My dear wife was packing the camera and was too startled to get it out any sooner as he stared us down. When I backed up and threw a stick at him was when he backed down and slithered into the water.

I've often wondered if I'd been packed (which I should have been) and I'd shot that sumbitch (which I would have) could we have gotten out of there before a WMA Game Warden got to us? I do believe if he'd seen that snake he'd of let me go free, maybe even bought me a beer

Well, don't forget your 3 S's: Shoot, shovel and shut up.

"Gunshot? What gunshot, officer? I didn't hear no gunshot?"
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Mamba.  

Very, very deadly.  They can hit 12 mph on flat ground, and are one of the few snakes that chases people.  

Venom is neurotoxic and just about 100% fatal if you aren't very close to a hospital, which are in short supply in Africa.

http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/black_mamba.htm
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, the guns help.  If I ever see a rattler in the wild, I will probably unleash more firepower upon that fucking thing than a whole armored division can muster.  

Save your ammo brother, just whack the snake upside the head with the butt of your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:18:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#35]

That snake doesn't look dead in the first pic.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#36]
They also smell like raw sewage.   You don't want to eat a water mocasin. Yuk.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Save your ammo brother, just whack the snake upside the head with the butt of your rifle.

I say fix bayonet and charge...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That snake doesn't look dead in the first pic.

They move a lot even after they are dead.

Scares the shit out of you the first few times you experience it.

I killed a rattlesnake in Texas that was close to 6' long.  I was carrying it back to camp when its body suddenly jerked upward.  I dropped it and jumped back... even though I had already cut its head off.  Reflexes told me to get the hell away from that twitching bastard.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#39]
I like snakes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:30:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in southwest Virginia and I've seen them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Ive seen em in south eastern ky before, gotta be careful when going fishing in a pond in ky....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am afraid not, what  you are seeing are banded or northern water snakes.  The only place cottenmouths (watermocasins) are found is the southeastern tip of VA south and east of Colonial Heights.

There are also no cottonmouths in Eastern Ky either.

ETA this is what y'all are seeing

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am afraid not, what  you are seeing are banded or northern water snakes.  The only place cottenmouths (watermocasins) are found is the southeastern tip of VA south and east of Colonial Heights.

www.hoganphoto.com/Northern_Water_Snake.jpg
studioedwards.com/photos/Img11522_4w.jpg

Sorry, Chief, I beg to differ.  I grew up in SWVA (Martinsville), and I have seen cottonmouths at the local watering holes.  Believe me, when you smell sewage, have a pitch black snake open his mouth at you, and see the white of his mouth, you know it's a water mocasin.  The snakes I saw look nothing like the ones in your pics.   They may have migrated, but they were definitely there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, Chief, I beg to differ.  I grew up in SWVA (Martinsville), and I have seen cottonmouths at the local watering holes.  Believe me, when you smell sewage, have a pitch black snake open his mouth at you, and see the white of his mouth, you know it's a water mocasin.  The snakes I saw look nothing like the ones in your pics.   They may have migrated, but they were definitely there.

Watersnakes can also be very dark colored and are aggressive.  There are no cottenmouths in Martinsville.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone would have to be pretty ignorant about snakes to mistake that for a Cottonmouth.  Cottonmouths have a triangular head and slit eyes like most other poisonous snakes.  That one has a round head and eyes.

You can never say for sure where a snake can or can't be found.  Nature surprises scientists all the time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Son of a bitch! I just thought we had some good-sized cottonmouths here in NC, but that's a FAT bastard you've got there! Good thing you got it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone would have to be pretty ignorant about snakes to mistake that for a Cottonmouth.  Cottonmouths have a triangular head and slit eyes like most other poisonous snakes.  That one has a round head and eyes.

You can never say for sure where a snake can or can't be found.  Nature surprises scientists all the time.

Most people see dark snake, in or near water and instantly scream cottonmouth.  If someone finds a cottonmouth living in its natural environment west of I95 in Virginia kills it and brings it too me I will give them $120.  Animals, esp. snakes to do not move 200 miles outside of their natural range.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When there are venomous birds flying around biting people, your advice will make sense, until then it doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone got  links to those cottonmouths someone's dad saw on an oil rig after Katrina?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top