Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2006 5:37:29 PM EDT
Subcommittee Chairman Howard Coble (R-NC) and ranking member Bobby Scott (D-VA) agreed on the need to focus BATFE’s efforts on enforcing current laws against serious criminals, while not pursuing petty violations or undermining civil liberties.  To that end, the “Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Modernization and Reform Act of 2006” will soon be introduced.  This bipartisan bill will update the legal standards for disciplining violations by FFLs.  It also calls for a review of BATFE’s enforcement practices, and clarifies BATFE’s responsibilities to keep the Bureau focused on its core mission.

NRA-ILA

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for future updates.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Subcommittee Chairman Howard Coble (R-NC) and ranking member Bobby Scott (D-VA) agreed on the need to focus BATFE’s efforts on enforcing current laws against serious criminals, while not pursuing petty violations or undermining civil liberties.  To that end, the “Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Modernization and Reform Act of 2006” will soon be introduced.  This bipartisan bill will update the legal standards for disciplining violations by FFLs.  It also calls for a review of BATFE’s enforcement practices, and clarifies BATFE’s responsibilities to keep the Bureau focused on its core mission.

NRA-ILA

If this isn't another April Fools joke, then TAG.  If it is, then I hate you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Hearings Put Spotlight On Need For BATFE Reform

Friday, March 31, 2006

At back-to-back hearings on Tuesday, March 28, the House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security, continued to focus on enforcement abuses at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), and also aired opinions about a new bill to correct several issues in federal firearms law.

First, the subcommittee heard testimony from people with first-hand experience dealing with BATFE.  Virginia lawyer Richard Gardiner, who has represented many gun owners and dealers, focused on the way BATFE handles cases against federally licensed firearms dealers (FFLs)--often seeking to revoke FFLs for “trivial, immaterial violations” based on “undefined legal standards.”  Gardiner described one case where a dealer lost his license even though BATFE itself agreed his records were 99.96% accurate, and the few errors posed no threat to public safety.  

Next, Lt. Michael Lara of the Tucson Police Department recounted his personal horror story at the hands of BATFE.  After buying a gun as a gift for a friend, Lt. Lara found himself facing federal felony charges as a “straw purchaser.”  Lt. Lara lost his job, and didn’t get it back before a three-month legal nightmare cost him more than $200,000 in legal fees, lost pay and other costs.  BATFE never even interviewed him during its investigation, and the jury acquitted him in less than an hour.

At the second hearing, the subcommittee focused on H.R. 5005, Rep. Lamar Smith’s (R-TX) bill to make various technical changes and corrections in federal firearms law.  Anti-gun advocates have gone through the roof over one provision of H.R. 5005: a section that prohibits disclosure of firearms trace data outside of law enforcement investigations.  That language simply makes permanent a policy that Congress has enacted through annual appropriations riders for the past several years.  Yet at this hearing, anti-gun New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (R) hysterically denounced it as a “God-awful” bill that would “facilitate the shooting deaths of thousands of innocent Americans every year.”  Of course, Bloomberg’s real goal--besides publicity in the Big Apple media--is to use this confidential law enforcement information in the city’s suit against the firearms industry.  Attorney Gardiner took the opportunity to point out that “what the Mayor is saying about this bill simply is not true,” because the trace system is designed to help solve crimes, not to do statistical research.

2005 Firearms Law & Second Amendment Symposium

NRA-ILA Election Volunteer Coordinators

Grassroots-Election Workshops

NRA-ILA Speakers Bureau

Help Spread The Truth and Promote Activism -
Identify "Second Amendment Activist Centers"  

Click here for more

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Subcommittee Chairman Howard Coble (R-NC) and ranking member Bobby Scott (D-VA) agreed on the need to focus BATFE’s efforts on enforcing current laws against serious criminals, while not pursuing petty violations or undermining civil liberties.  
 NRA-ILA

But if they don't go after pretty offences, how will they get any convistion to justify their existence?

p.s.  Hello BAFTE Internet monitoring overlords!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
A democrat wants to reign in the ATF? They don't want the domestic terrorist bureau to imprison gunowners?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
OOOoooooh.    I'm gonna call my representatives on monday and tell them exactly what i think of this:

They better get behind it or they will have lost my vote FOREVER!

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Subcommittee Chairman Howard Coble (R-NC) and ranking member Bobby Scott (D-VA) agreed on the need to focus BATFE’s efforts on enforcing current laws against serious criminals, while not pursuing petty violations or undermining civil liberties.  
 NRA-ILA

But if they don't go after pretty offences, how will they get any convistion to justify their existence?

p.s.  Hello BAFTE Internet monitoring overlords!

There will always be the morons to go after, like s-n-s, or the tax evaders for the drugs.

that is where they got their start anyhow, ya know?

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]
And todays date is......
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If this isn't a freakin April 1st joke Im all for it-

Its high time the ATF was dealt with, but they need to be disbanded IMO
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#11]
This is an NRA press release

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
oh yea! what did the hand say to the face?

SLAP!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Outstanding
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Got a link?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got a link?

Geez, 4700 odd posts and you don't know about the NRA-ILA??  Mebbie you should come out from under that rock once in a while.  

Before you get cranky, I am just messin with ya...  OK, here ya go..

www.nra-ila.com/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=2104

BTW, it wasn't an April fools post, it was dated the 31st....
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=2104

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=191888&page=1
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got a link?

Geez, 4700 odd posts and you don't know about the NRA-ILA??  Mebbie you should come out from under that rock once in a while.  

Before you get cranky, I am just messin with ya...  OK, here ya go..

www.nra-ila.com/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=2104

BTW, it wasn't an April fools post, it was dated the 31st....

I won't get cranky.....I'm a lazy bastard. Google hates me and how can I get so many posts if I go looking at other sites?

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Need to take gn enforcement from the JBTs and limit them to alcohol, tobacco, arson and explosives. If there was any justice, a lot of the ATF guys would be in jail. They even admit they lie
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, but everyone knows the the NRA is no good , ineffictive and a waste of your time and money.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagged for updates. This would be a very nice piece of federal legislation!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#22]
and people say the NRA doesnt do anything.
well come on people there doing something.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yes, but everyone knows the the NRA is no good , ineffictive and a waste of your time and money.  

and only cares about hunters.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
and people say the NRA doesnt do anything.
well come on people they're doing something.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Yet at this hearing, anti-gun New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (R) hysterically denounced it as a “God-awful” bill that would “facilitate the shooting deaths of thousands of innocent Americans every year.”  
What the hell is a matter with this guy? Will he ever get a life?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#26]
TAG
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Tagged
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#28]
tag

CALL YOUR REPS!!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I think some of the JBT assholes at the BATF forgot they had to answer to congress.
It's way past time they get a bitch smacking, fuck em!
I hope they clip their wings so hard they end up disarmed and writing tickets for bad parking at gun shows.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Umm, its April 1st, folks.....
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yet at this hearing, anti-gun New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (R) hysterically denounced it as a “God-awful” bill that would “facilitate the shooting deaths of thousands of innocent Americans every year.”  

I think it's funny to see the rich, who can afford armed security details, denounce the right for the rest of us to protect ourselves.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Umm, its April 1st, folks.....

I doubt the NRA is playing a joke - that stuff is off their website, and HR5005 is a real live bill...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Yet at this hearing, anti-gun New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (RINO) hysterically denounced it as a “God-awful” bill that would “facilitate the shooting deaths of thousands of innocent Americans every year.”  

fixed it
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I think the pro-gun lobby has touched on a raw nerve among the anti-gunners.  The gun lobby is doing its job.  We should all join a pro-gun organization.

Life member NRA & CRPA(Calif Rifle & Pistol).
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#39]
tag
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Found this bill http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d109:10:./temp/~bdCKAk:@@@L&summ2=m&
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#41]
The bill should be kept simple, like this.
The BATFE is hereby disbanded.
All current BATFE employees are FIRED!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#42]
I think they should just reform the agency into this:

BATE  

Leave out the firearms and let the local yocals handle enforcing the laws.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Well that's a good sign......honestly one of the biggest issues I have with BATFE is their habit of making up rules as they go along.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#44]
This better go through all ready...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Talk about "creep". The ATF was done at the end of Prohibition but somehow managed to stay afloat a LOOOOOONG time. It is indeed about time to flush this stinky bowl!
Josh
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Bump so the lazy can be motivated.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#48]
This is cool. It's good to know there are at least a few politicians trying to reinstate rights rather than take them away.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#49]
This bill has not been introduced yet.

HR 5005 is seperate
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#50]
If I had my way, they would be the bureau of alcohol and tobacco, and they would be in the commerce department. Their arson investigation units would be transferred to someone else.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top