Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 4:54:38 PM EDT
The dog empathy thread reminded me of my niece. She is all of 18 months old. She can just get around and say a few worlds. But she is amazingly communicative with gestures and facial expressions.

My Mom was upset one day and was crying.  My baby niece saw this and must have realized that she was sad.

My niece looked around found her bottle and offered it to my mom and smiled at her.  She also smiled at her and hugged her.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Her names not Maggie is it?  It sounds like a Simpsons moment
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yes it does!  No her name is Anouke.  Dont ask me why.  Ask my sister.  But she is a doll, much more talent in her communication abilities then her sister was at her age.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I must have missed the empathy thread.    Something would be very wrong to think dogs are better than humans, although they have talents humans do not.   I for example, would never bite another person in the crotch, no matter how appropriate i might think it would be to damage someone in that manner.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
ferrets>kids
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
After a long difficult day at work all I have to do and come home and look at my baby's face and he smiles at me.  I forget everything about the day and remember what is really important in life.  Babies are amazing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it does!  No her name is Anouke.  Dont ask me why.  Ask my sister.  But she is a doll, much more talent in her communication abilities then her sister was at her age.

How is that pronounced?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ferrets>kids

ferrets>Napoleon_Tanerite
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Dogs don't go through all the teen-age shit that makes you want to pull out your hair!

edit for drukedness
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is that pronounced?

Anouke - An Egyptian goddess of war
I think its pronounced "Ah-Nuke", sorta like "Ah-Nuke-It" from the air.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup thats it.  I think its actually a phrench version.  But we call her Nookie.

Another strain on my wallet.

Her sister just called me from Sydney.

"Uncle ARDOC, I need a $169 dollar helmet to for horse jumping lessons. Can you buy it for me?"

WTF am I going to say?  I just dont get to shoot for the next few months.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Babies are better then dogs

Babies don't clean up thier own vomit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Babies are better then dogs

Babies don't clean up thier own vomit.

This is true.  But I think you have a jadded view because private rootbeer isnt your spawn.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think its actually a phrench version.  

Phrench as in Frog?

In that case...

Anouke - An French goddess of surrender
It is pronounced "Ah-No" as in "Ah-No-Shoot-I- Surrender"
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ferrets>kids

we're gonna have to see the ferret's post count to decide this one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#15]
---In Related News--- Dogs apparently tell excelent baby jokes.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ferrets>kids

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#17]
We have  3 labs,  they are 8, 7, and 1. Dogs are special creatures, worthy of all the love we can give them.  We now  have a baby on the way,(first one)  everyone I've ever talked to says, no matter how much you may love your dogs, you have no idea how much you can love something until you have a child. This is almost scarey. I already love this child with all my heart, and my wife is only 3months and 3 weeks along.  I can only imagine what it will be like when the baby is actually here. My oldest lab goes riding with me, hunting, when we had more time, he was one hell of a duck dog, we go  fishing, play ball, shooting, etc.. etc.. Now we're going to have a partner to go with us, damn it's a hell of a good feeling.  I told Mrs. Treeman the bottle story, and she  cried, thats been happening a lot lately, over just about anything. I feel really blessed,and happy, and love talking about it, sorry for the long post........Treeman........ ETA- Mrs. Treeman had her sonagram, It's to early to be certain, but it looks like a  boy, the nurse said don't go painting rooms, but from the size of those nuts, she is pretty sure. I showed the pic to my crazy uncle, he said "yep, he's one of us, all beans, and no frank".  It doesn't matter girl or boy, I'll be just as happy, she can learn to fish and hunt too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ferrets>kids

my ferret is on the facebook.  look up Mr. Cujo Ferret
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
We have  3 labs,  they are 8, 7, and 1. Dogs are special creatures, worthy of all the love we can give them.  We now  have a baby on the way,(first one)  everyone I've ever talked to says, no matter how much you may love your dogs, you have no idea how much you can love something until you have a child. This is almost scarey. I already love this child with all my heart, and my wife is only 3months and 3 weeks along.  I can only imagine what it will be like when the baby is actually here. My oldest lab goes riding with me, hunting, when we had more time, he was one hell of a duck dog, we go  fishing, play ball, shooting, etc.. etc.. Now we're going to have a partner to go with us, damn it's a hell of a good feeling.  I told Mrs. Treeman the bottle story, and she  cried, thats been happening a lot lately, over just about anything. I feel really blessed,and happy, and love talking about it, sorry for the long post........Treeman........ ETA- Mrs. Treeman had her sonagram, It's to early to be certain, but it looks like a  boy, the nurse said don't go painting rooms, but from the size of those nuts, she is pretty sure. I showed the pic to my crazy uncle, he said "yep, he's one of us, all beans, and no frank".  It doesn't matter girl or boy, I'll be just as happy, she can learn to fish and hunt too.

Treeman, congrats!   I totally agree with you.  Until you have a kid you really dont know what love is.  I am even talking love for your wife.  Children supercede everything.  They are basically the reason we live and work.  There is nothing more special. I would give up all my guns for my child.  I think most of us would.

Treeman it might be a tad early to count on the ultrasound for a sex check.  You might twist your Docs arm a little to get another look when the baby is bigger.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Treeman,

Why don't you just wait until the baby is born to know the sex?
My wife and I decided from the beginning to not know until the baby was born.
Wife had the sonagram done three time and had amnio done by the 5th month (I think it was 5th month) so the OB knew the sex but we waited.  Everytime we met the OB the first words out of our mouth was "don't tell us the sex".  From the beginning I thought it was going to be a boy but for the last two weeks I was sure it was a girl.  My wife thought it was going to be a boy from the beginning to the end.  When the baby finally came out first thing I looked at was the limbs... two arm and two legs... then I heard the nurse say its a boy.  Total surprise for both of us.

Let the OB keep it a secret... it will be a wonderful surprise for both of you... doesn't matter if its a boy or girl.

BTW.  our OB told us about 95% of her patients want to know the sex before the baby is born.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Babies are better THAN dogs

Normally I wouldn't say anything, but I expect more from you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#22]
My Mom was upset one day and was crying. My baby niece saw this and must have realized that she was sad.

My niece looked around found her bottle and offered it to my mom and smiled at her. She also smiled at her and hugged her.

nothing my dogs can't do.

.......But I'm certain your neice is a wonder joy for yall to have and wish yall years of good and safe lives.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Treeman,

Why don't you just wait until the baby is born to know the sex?
My wife and I decided from the beginning to not know until the baby was born.
Wife had the sonagram done three time and had amnio done by the 5th month (I think it was 5th month) so the OB knew the sex but we waited.  Everytime we met the OB the first words out of our mouth was "don't tell us the sex".  From the beginning I thought it was going to be a boy but for the last two weeks I was sure it was a girl.  My wife thought it was going to be a boy from the beginning to the end.  When the baby finally came out first thing I looked at was the limbs... two arm and two legs... then I heard the nurse say its a boy.  Total surprise for both of us.

Let the OB keep it a secret... it will be a wonderful surprise for both of you... doesn't matter if its a boy or girl.

BTW.  our OB told us about 95% of her patients want to know the sex before the baby is born.  

Well that is somthing we have discussed over and over, Mrs. Treeman wants to know, I'm kinda torn. Their are advantages to both. We will have too wait until the 5th month to know for sure, from what we have been told. We will make the final decision then. Thanks for the advice, and I agree a suprise would be awesome, so like I said we are still up in the air............ARDOC, It is to early to know for sure, but the nurse was pretty sure, who knows? At first I wanted a little girl, but I know she could wrap me around her little finger, I think more than a boy, but then I am a rookie at this. Then I thought about a boy, and realised, I'm 36, and there hasn't been a baby with my last name since me. He would carry on the family name. In reality it does'nt matter. When you speak of love, and respect  for your wife, I'm already understanding that, I look at her in a totally different way now. I loved her unconditionly before, but it has grown to a level I never knew existed. I still try to do my best to remind her My love for her is strong with or without the baby, and she is special just for being her. It is a totally new experience and appreciation for everything, I seem to view the whole world with a new perspective. Thanks for the congrats, take care...Treeman
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Yobo, We discussed your idea again today. The more I thought about it last night, the more I liked it. Mary is warming up to it also. We are by no means rich, but we are comfortable, so preps giving a financial leg up is not that big of a concern, This will be the first birth with my last name since me, (36 yrs ago) so the whole family is excited, it's also my mother's first grandchild, she will be trying to spoil it to death. My Dad died two years ago, and the thought of him not being here really hit me hard last week, I'm not ashamed to say I cried like hell  thinking of him, and feeling bad for our child for not being able to meet a great man. That was off  the subject, but on my mind, sorry for the downer. Take care, and hope all is well with you and your's....Treeman
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top