Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2006 4:51:49 PM EDT
Guys,  

I need help, my mother-in-law  is going off about how in May gas will be $5/gal.  

She's got my wife worked up about, so much that they are looking at autotrader for a TDI jetta.

Please help me guys, I don't want to loose my man card.  I like my v-8 vic.

Did I miss something or is she just nuts?

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Right now gas is near $3.00/gal in my area. It is reasonable to believe that it will be $4.00 a gallon by December of 2007.

If we invade Iran, even just dropping bombs, it is reasonable to expect fuel to be between $6.00 to $10.00 a gallon. The Arabs only have one usable weapon aganist us, and that is oil.

Chance favors the prepared mind.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Weren't the Lib's saying the war in Iraq was all about oil???????????????????
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The diesel VW cars are hard to find right now because even with gas at 3 dollars they make a lot of sense.

I don't think a diesel makes you lose your man card either, look into the torque spec of that little turbo diesel engine and then go look at some of the mods around for that engine.

I am afraid to say that the more someone studies where fuel comes from, how it is transported, how the change over from mtbe to ethanol is effecting supply, and then look into the hurricane disruptions last year and I think it is easy to realize that having a fuel efficient diesel is smart and also having a few thousand gallons already bought and paid for and stored on site would be even nicer.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've asked her to clairfy, she said it's going to be May '06.

Something about "greedy .gov" is the reason.

If it does, I'll tele-commute and burn no gas.

I just wanted to make sure, there was no blend change or an additional tax to be added
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm just guessing here, but I think it'll be between $3.50 and $4.50 before the end of the year.

Just watch the events in Iran....

HH
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It's very unlikely, crude would have to more than double from current levels for that to happen.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The diesel VW cars are hard to find right now because even with gas at 3 dollars they make a lot of sense.

I don't think a diesel makes you lose your man card either, look into the torque spec of that little turbo diesel engine and then go look at some of the mods around for that engine.

I am afraid to say that the more someone studies where fuel comes from, how it is transported, how the change over from mtbe to ethanol is effecting supply, and then look into the hurricane disruptions last year and I think it is easy to realize that having a fuel efficient diesel is smart and also having a few thousand gallons already bought and paid for and stored on site would be even nicer.

How does one decide between a buying a new car: alt fuel type & better miles vs. a completely paid off car which mine is?

That would be my real deciding factor.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget hurricanes.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Y'know, in the long run, I almost think really expensive (not insanely expensive, like $6 or $7 on up, but like $3 - $4) gas could be good: it would be a really great incentive for congress to either start drilling in Alaska/find a way to make use of our shale oil/give more support to research for non gasoline-powered cars/etc.

It would be bad for a while, but the Europeans seem to survive allright with $5 a gallon, I guess I could live with it if it furthers the benefits I cited.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Just watch the money section of  your local paper. In Alabama, for every $28 in the price of a bbl of oil, (lgt swt crude), gas will be $1 a gal. at the pump.(approx) The price in the paper is for delivery in 30 days, for gas to reach $5 a gal, oil would be roughly $140 a bbl, right now it's $66 a bbl, and our gas went from 2.39, to 2.44 Fri (87 oct). Iran is the killer in the deal, if we go to war with them, oil will sky rocket for awhile. How high? Who knows. I'm not wishing for higher prices, but everytime gas goes up, the gals I sale go up, and so do inside sales, and that is where I make my money. I get  4cents a gal on gas, regardless of price. At some point that will change. There is a price out there, I don't know what it is, but when we reach it, I'm sure sales, both inside and out, will drop in a big way. FWIW, My station is an independent, but our gas is Conoco-Phillips. Being a smaller store, we are generally 7-8cents lower than larger branded stores. All this makes me worry about the future of being in the conv. store biz. and the economy in general. Buying a small, good on gas car, might be well worth the investment, as an alternate vehicle. I own a tahoe, and an F150, and the idea of $125 a fill up, is mind boggling. I've been looking for a good used small car, for day to day driving, and parking the other two.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Crude oil stocks in this country are at their highest levels in 7 years.  The traders are reacting to world events and are disconnected from the supply side.

If gas prices keep going up in this country there will be a recession as people curtail other discretionary spending to buy fuel and heat their homes. A recession in this country will have a ripple effect across the world and crude oil demand will fall off quite a bit, to the point that OPEC will curb production.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]
The bottleneck is the refining capacity which has been hampered by the seasonal switch to summer blend low Reid vapor pressure type.

Congress needs to step in and get the provision in the Clean Air Act removed, making way for ASTM to work with refiners and automobile manufacturers to settle on one, consistent blend.  Why?  Because when the CAA was instituted(1970), no vehicles has vapor control measures.  Now every car since 1996 has had complete vapor control systems that must operate correctly, otherwise a malfunction indicator is turned on...the dreaded check engine light in most cases.  Technology has eclipsed the need for this provision yet Congress is afraid of doing a damn thing because of the leftist environmental lobby.

But it NEEDS to be done NOW.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#13]
2.39$ a gallon here. 5$ by May?  No way.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a TDI Jetta.  I most certainly still have my man card.  It gets ~50 miles to the gallon with a manual transmission and works just fine for what I need it for.  Its got a lot of torque, and has never felt sluggish or slow.

Less money spent on fuel means more money for guns.

I like Crown Vics, but would you rather spend all of your disposable income keeping your V8 fed, or would you rather spend it on guns?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Currently $2.59 a gallon here for the cheapest priced gas.  I would expect $2.90-$3.15 a gallon by Memorial Day, depending.  Chances are $3.50 a gallon by the 4th of July.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

So did Cheny and a few other of the Bush crew. So what? What did you think this was about? Imaginary nukes? Saddam murdering a few Kurds here and there? Get real man. We are going to be fighting a lot more wars for oil in the 21st century. Make sure your son is ready to die for nylon.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Crude oil stocks in this country are at their highest levels in 7 years.  The traders are reacting to world events and are disconnected from the supply side.

If gas prices keep going up in this country there will be a recession as people curtail other discretionary spending to buy fuel and heat their homes. A recession in this country will have a ripple effect across the world and crude oil demand will fall off quite a bit, to the point that OPEC will curb production.

Wall street is driving oil prices now, there is no shortage in supply, only in refining capacity, along with fear and uncertainty. War with Iran, will decrease the global supply, and push prices way up. I don't know if a stable gov in iran is possible, but in the long run, getting rid of the nut in power could only be a good thing, and not just for oil prices. As you said, with higher prices, demand will drop. Can Saudi Arabia make up the difference? Don't know. Drilling in AK will help, but it would still be a long way from reaching the market. Mexico just discovered a big oil deposit, and supposedly very big. They could also help the supply, but it to will be years from reaching the market. So higher prices, are going to be with us for a good while, unless somthing really wild happens to change things.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#20]
At $5.00 a gallon it is still cheaper than beer.

I want beer prices to go down
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#21]
If that happens, there is going to be a LOT more syphoning going on around here.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The bottleneck is the refining capacity which has been hampered by the seasonal switch to summer blend low Reid vapor pressure type.

Congress needs to step in and get the provision in the Clean Air Act removed, making way for ASTM to work with refiners and automobile manufacturers to settle on one, consistent blend.  Why?  Because when the CAA was instituted(1970), no vehicles has vapor control measures.  Now every car since 1996 has had complete vapor control systems that must operate correctly, otherwise a malfunction indicator is turned on...the dreaded check engine light in most cases.  Technology has eclipsed the need for this provision yet Congress is afraid of doing a damn thing because of the leftist environmental lobby.

Hit the nail on the head there, as I understand it, there are 84 different blends of gas, and that is stupid, we need to settle on one, and stick with it. That would increase refinery cap. by a huge amount, and go a long way in reducing prices. W has tried to get this done,  the enviro libs, have killed it. We could choose the least polluting, and refine only it, and still be way ahead of where we are now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Currently $2.59 a gallon here for the cheapest priced gas.  I would expect $2.90-$3.15 a gallon by Memorial Day, depending.  Chances are $3.50 a gallon by the 4th of July.  

this is my thinking too. gas futures are as high as they were any time last year, except for katrina spikes, and the summer driving season hasn't even started yet. gas supplies are tight.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Time to drill my own well!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I remember after Katrina and prices went up to $3.00 I read post after post where people were crying that the sky was falling, and prices would hit $5.00 a gallon nationwide....and would NEVER go below $2.50 again.

Bullshit I said, isn't going to happen.

And, I was mocked. I remember someone telling me I was a mindless lemming.

Well, it didn't hit $5.00 a gallon, matter of fact within a year I was paying $1.89 a gallon.

But hey, it's probably all different this time around, so any Chicken Littles who feel like mocking me a second time feel free. I won't come back in a year and say "I told ya so".

BTW, gas just fell here to $2.39 from $2.69.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hit the nail on the head there, as I understand it, there are 84 different blends of gas, and that is stupid, we need to settle on one, and stick with it. That would increase refinery cap. by a huge amount, and go a long way in reducing prices. W has tried to get this done,  the enviro libs, have killed it. We could choose the least polluting, and refine only it, and still be way ahead of where we are now.

84 seems rather high for unleaded gasoline. i seem to recall it being less than 20 nationwide..including summer and winter formulations. if you are talking about all the possible transportation fuels though..
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#27]
5$ A gallon ! ,     FU@KIN TRI-LATTERAL COMISSION
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is my thinking too. gas futures are as high as they were any time last year, except for katrina spikes, and the summer driving season hasn't even started yet. gas supplies are tight.

Actually oil supplies are not tight --right now inventory levels here in the US are higher than they have been in 6-7 years  (CNN, FOX etc have all reported this)

__________________________________________________________________________________  

"
United States  
Oil and Gas Inventories
Updated: 3/29/2006 10:32 AM
Actual: 340.7 MB
Analyst: Rakesh Shankar in West Chester

First Take
Crude oil inventories rose 2.1 million barrels for the week ending March 24, according to the Energy Information Administration, besting expectations of a 0.8 million barrel build. Gasoline inventories fell by whopping 5.4 million barrels, well above the 1.3 million draw expected, and distillate inventories fell by 2.5 million barrels, also above expectations. Despite the unexpected build in crude inventories, the sharp draw in gasoline and distillates will likely keep up recent bullish pressure on prices.  "

from      https://www.economy.com/home/login/ds_proLogin.asp?script_name=/dismal/pro/release.asp&r=usa_eia

__________________________________________________________________________________

As has been the pattern for the last few months speculation in the commodities market has kept prices high,  and I am of the belief that there are many people with money tied up in oil futures who dont know what they are doing and are headed for a big disappointment soon --most are fgollowing the advice of brokers and reacting to rumors with no substance that always pop up when the price begins to dip -- the price of crude in is being kept artificially high IMHO the fall in gas stocks is due to demand and the fact that right now approx 20% of our refining capacity is offline to change over to summer blends (remember just a few short months ago we were using %100 of our capacity and had to bring in already refined product from outside the country when a few refineries went offline for a few weeks due to katrina/rita.)  
Since crude stocks are so high and some refineries offline and the winter heating season effectively over Demand for crude should FALL and thus the price.  Once the refineries switch over the refined gas stocks should come up and reduce that price also.
I also remeber that a few months ago many pundits (oil futures brokers ) were predicting $100 barrel crude beofre the end of the year. Many folks listened and bought into the oil futures market. See "enron" and "worldcom" where folks who had no idea what they were doing invested and trustred people they had no business trusting and investing with --- in the end the fund managers pulled thier money out and ran and left thousands finacially ruined in thier wake. I predict here and now that in the next few weeks you will see the same thing hapen in the comoodities market. I dont think the bottom will fall out but the laws of supply and demand will prevail.  

another good link :
www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/steo/pub/contents.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#29]
If Iran starts contesting shipping in the Straits of Hormuz I think the oil company's will have there excuse to rip us off even more...hopefully not $5.00 a gallon but it wouldn't  suprise me if those thieves try.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Some third world cockroach who happens to live on oil resreves farts and the speculators have fits and gouge accordingly.
Oh and get ready for summer driving holidays !!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#31]
i was going to say that i hope it does, but then again i have a conflicting interest on more than one level

fossil_fuel:
-energy sector investor
-geology/petroleum engineering student
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually oil supplies are not tight --right now inventory levels here in the US are higher than they have been in 6-7 years  (CNN, FOX etc have all reported this)

what you say is true and it clearly shows the price of gas is driven by factors other than crude availability. as mentioned, the refining issues and ethanol have things a bit off right now. consider, also, that gas futures have risen about .50 a gallon in the past month. most people can expect to see a similar increase in pump prices over next 30 days. however, geographics and other market variables may mitigate this somewhat.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Good one! I got my wife with the same thing this morning.

April Fools Day!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So did Cheny and a few other of the Bush crew. So what? What did you think this was about? Imaginary nukes? Saddam murdering a few Kurds here and there? Get real man. We are going to be fighting a lot more wars for oil in the 21st century. Make sure your son is ready to die for nylon.

12 years of Saddam IGNORING cease fire mandates.  But the only mandate you know of is that fag you went out to dinner and a buttfuck.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I know some of you "freepers" dont want to hear this but it's really the excesses of capitalism that drive the price in most cases by 75%. In a short term crises it's all about the commodities speculators. For example during Katrina the Gov't released the patroleum reserve so the prices should'nt have gone that high, but it did anyway. Why? Cause some guy wants to make a couple of millions off our national crisis. NOt just the Speclators but the companies as well all on down the line.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And another big factor driving price up is certain states have ceased allowing MTBE/TAME as oxygenates in gasoline.  Again, this provision in the Clean Air Act needs immediate gutting because of technology AGAIN.  Fuel injected vehicles show NO improvement using oxygenated blends.  How many new vehicles are running carbs?

The downside to this ban of ether oxygenates is the price for ethanol, the only allowed oxygenate in these states, has more than DOUBLED in the past year.  

Why don't oxygenates work?  Because every fuel injected vehicle has an exhaust gas oxygen sensor and the fuel injection computer uses this to adjust the fuel-air ratio, making oxygenates USELESS.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

"Man Card"?  Don't you mean stupid card?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I know some of you "freepers" dont want to hear this but it's really the excesses of capitalism that drive the price in most cases by 75%. In a short term crises it's all about the commodities speculators. For example during Katrina the Gov't released the patroleum reserve so the prices should'nt have gone that high, but it did anyway. Why? Cause some guy wants to make a couple of millions off our national crisis. NOt just the Speclators but the companies as well all on down the line.

Prices rise to keep dumb fuckers from hording a commodity but alas, some dumb fuckers have the money to do just such.

Remember the supply weakness in our refining system.  The refineries, at PEAK production, only produce enough fuel to provide each vehicle on the road today with about 1.73 gallons PER DAY.  Since the average vehicle has on average, somewhat less than a half tank of fuel and each tank is about 16 gallons on average, the rumor of a price hike has the potential of sucking up 4.5 times the refinery output!  If 1/4 of the population believes there is a run on fuel, the supply RUNS FUCKING DRY AND THEN THE PRICES WILL RISE INFINITELY BECAUSE WITH NO FUEL, NO ONE GOES ANYWHERE.

You conspiracy types need to lay off the dope.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My natural gas bill was $92 last month more than double last years. I can't belive that the cost of producing natural gas has doubled. I keep the electronic thermostat at a maximum of 68 degrees and drop it down low over night.

Got to do something to keep warm around here.

The cost of production hasn't gone up, the supply is tight.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Brew your own!  I got mine down to $.50 a gallon for a good lager using my own yeast stock.  Damn hops is the most expensive part.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brew your own!  I got mine down to $.50 a gallon for a good lager using my own yeast stock.  Damn hops is the most expensive part.  

I was thinking the same thing with respect to fuel. (VW turbodiesel here)
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing with respect to fuel. (VW turbodiesel here)

Good luck!  You cannot find WVO anywhere.  The stuff is now gold.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#44]
How does one decide between a buying a new car: alt fuel type & better miles vs. a completely paid off car which mine is?

Run some searches to see about how you would figure out operating cost per mile for your paid for vehicle vs. whatever you are looking at.

Generally the reliable paid for vehicle will be way cheaper to run than getting a new vehicle.  

You can even sit down and calculate your operating costs with fuel at 5 dollars a gallon.  

I tried to justify getting a small fuel efficient car when I was driving a one ton pickup with a gas engine, mileage was 12 mpg or so.  Basically there was no way for that 2nd car to pay for itself since the cost of upkeep and insurance and purchase bought lots and lots of extra gas for the pickup truck.

Of course I was wanting to keep the pickup truck in that example since I needed to haul stuff now and then.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Man Card"?  Don't you mean stupid card?

Okay tough guy break it down for me what would you do? I'm apparently a little slow...

You have a car, it's paid off, it gets 20 mpg.
When do I pull the trigger, trade it in to get an extra 4-8 extra mpg?
Don't forget the car is paid off, so  buying a new car will require a financing for an additional $5K-$15K.  

So what would you do...
keep the car or trade it?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Even at $5/gallon, $5K-$15K (probably at the very least) will buy a lot of gas for the 20mpg car.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Run some searches to see about how you would figure out operating cost per mile for your paid for vehicle vs. whatever you are looking at.

Generally the reliable paid for vehicle will be way cheaper to run than getting a new vehicle.  

You can even sit down and calculate your operating costs with fuel at 5 dollars a gallon.  

I tried to justify getting a small fuel efficient car when I was driving a one ton pickup with a gas engine, mileage was 12 mpg or so.  Basically there was no way for that 2nd car to pay for itself since the cost of upkeep and insurance and purchase bought lots and lots of extra gas for the pickup truck.

Of course I was wanting to keep the pickup truck in that example since I needed to haul stuff now and then.

Finally a smart poster!  Yes, buying  new car for mileage is dumb.  But buying a used, efficient vehicle is usually a better option.  I bought a used TDI Jetta for such reasons and run only liability for such reasons.  And now I have a 72 MPG motorcycle for when the weather allows and that too is only carried on liability.  My agent thinks I am crazy but I told him with a backup, my needs are covered.  These are just choices.  Do not skimp on uninsured motorist because there are plenty of illegals out there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

biere,

Thank you for your honest opinion!!!!

I threw the numbers into excel and compared it to a TDI and HY, I'd save 50% on fuel but that would be offset by the approx $4k /yr in a car loan.

I'll keep the Vic, for now.

and with that, Gentlemen, goodnight

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If Iran starts contesting shipping in the Straits of Hormuz I think the oil company's will have there excuse to rip us off even more...hopefully not $5.00 a gallon but it wouldn't  suprise me if those thieves try.

I would think the Navy can keep Iran from restricting the Straits...

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And another big factor driving price up is certain states have ceased allowing MTBE/TAME as oxygenates in gasoline.  Again, this provision in the Clean Air Act needs immediate gutting because of technology AGAIN.  Fuel injected vehicles show NO improvement using oxygenated blends.  How many new vehicles are running carbs?

The downside to this ban of ether oxygenates is the price for ethanol, the only allowed oxygenate in these states, has more than DOUBLED in the past year.  

Why don't oxygenates work?  Because every fuel injected vehicle has an exhaust gas oxygen sensor and the fuel injection computer uses this to adjust the fuel-air ratio, making oxygenates USELESS.

You'll love this one

The reformulation requirement was dropped by the EPA, however CONGRESS, IN A DIP TO THE CORN LOBBY, REQUIRED 10% OF ALL GAS SOLD NATIONWIDE TO HAVE ETHANOL IN IT...

So now we don't have to have reformulated gas, but they're making all the 'speciail blend' areas keep the crap gas because it's good for corn farmers....

Oh, BTW, Ethanol is actually bad for older cars, and hurts fuel milage... Plus, it costs more in energy input (aka fossil fuel burned) to produce it than it produces....

But don't tell the E-85 fanclub that one...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top