Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 3:51:51 PM EDT

Killing Bin Laden will inspire 10 more: Dalai Lama
Mar 31 10:57 PM US/Eastern
 Email this story
The Dalai Lama says that were Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden killed that hatred would cause another 10 like him to spring up, in an interview with a British newspaper.

The exiled Tibetan spiritual leader told The Daily Telegraph that terrorists should be treated humanely.

He also revealed the workings of his relationship with US President George W. Bush, said Westerners had become too self-absorbed and repeated his opposition to homosexuality in a wide-ranging interview.

The Dalai Lama said modern terrorism was born out of jealousy of Western lifestyles.

"Fundamentalism is terrifying because it is based purely on emotion, rather than intelligence," the 70-year-old monk said at the seat of his government-in-exile in the northern Indian hilltop town of Dharamsala.

"It prevents followers from thinking as individuals and about the good of the world.

"This new terrorism has been brewing for many years. Much of it is caused by jealousy and frustration at the West because it looks so highly developed and successful on television. Leaders in the East use religion to counter that, to bind these countries together."

Terrorists, he warned, must be treated humanely.

"Otherwise, the problem will escalate. If there is one Bin Laden killed today, soon there will be 10 Bin Ladens. Awesome. Ten Bin Ladens killed, the hatred is spread; 100 bombed, and 1,000 lose members of their families."

Although he appeared not to approve of the war in Iraq, he was admiring of Bush.

"He is very straightforward," said the monk.

"On our first visit, I was faced with a large plate of biscuits. President Bush immediately offered me his favourites, and after that, we got on fine. On my next visit, he didn't mind when I was blunt about the war.

"By my third visit, I was ushering him into the Oval Office. I was astonished by his grasp of Buddhism."

The Dalai Lama fled Tibet in 1959 when Beijing crushed an anti-Chinese uprising there.

He is the first Dalai Lama to travel to the West and has been accused of being obsessed with the trappings of fame there.

"I never asked people like (US actor) Richard Gere to come, but it is foolish to stop them," he told the Telegraph.

"My attitude is to give everyone some of my time. If I can contribute in any way to their happiness, that makes me happy."

He told the broadsheet that Westerners had become self-absorbed, burdened with too much choice.

"It is fascinating. In the West, you have bigger homes, yet smaller families; you have endless conveniences -- yet you never seem to have any time. You can travel anywhere in the world, yet you don't bother to cross the road to meet your neighbours," he said.

"I don't think people have become more selfish, but their lives have become easier and that has spoilt them. They have less resilience, they expect more, they constantly compare themselves to others and they have too much choice -- which brings no real freedom."
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
hmm, Don't know what to think, although he seems to be a very wise man

ETA: IBN_T
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm. I can see his viewpoint.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Me too.  His philosophy of not resisting his enemies has worked out so splendidly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
He's got a W'04 sticker under his robe
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Me too.  His philosophy of not resisting his enemies has worked out so splendidly.

Can't say it any better than that.  Pray tell, what strategy should we adopt pertaining to Ben Ladin and other terrorists, oh wise Lhama.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
hmm, Don't know what to think, although he seems to be a very wise man

ETA: IBN_T

Wisdom is something lacking in most modern leaders...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't say it any better than that.  Pray tell, what strategy should we adopt pertaining to Ben Ladin and other terrorists, oh wise Lhama.  

This statement reveals you know nothing about Buddhism.  The ideals you see on TV are not what really happens.  There are Buddhists fighting back.  Not many, but there were not many to begin with.  Also he wouldnt fight because he is a monk.   This isnt KungFu.   There were warrior monks in the past.

Also he owned Richard Gere.    Didnt invite him but he came anyway.  

Interesting that he liked GWB.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]

He told the broadsheet that Westerners had become self-absorbed, burdened with too much choice.

"It is fascinating. In the West, you have bigger homes, yet smaller families; you have endless conveniences -- yet you never seem to have any time. You can travel anywhere in the world, yet you don't bother to cross the road to meet your neighbours," he said.

"I don't think people have become more selfish, but their lives have become easier and that has spoilt them. They have less resilience, they expect more, they constantly compare themselves to others and they have too much choice -- which brings no real freedom."

That is an extremely accurate assessment of western society.

I don't agree with his strategy of treating terrorists "humanely" whatever it is that really means.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Think about it from their veiws. If you had hostile feelings towards America listening to the mosque leader talk about the evil infidels, then one day you see Al-jiz-era blabing about "OOOh noes !!!111 Bin Laden had StIcKKK sh0v3d up hi5 A$$!111@!" What would you do? If you weren't already fighting against kaffir, you would be pissed to see (what you consider to be) your rockstar idol being tortured, this would get you to do it. Think like they think, then you can defeat them. The Dalai lama is correct, a major figurehead like Bin Laden needs to be treated humanely and put on trial for the world. Seeing him brought to justice in a non-humiliating manner will go far to achieve justice while preventing the terrorists from getting recruitment propoganda.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#10]
tag

HH
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Think about it from their veiws. If you had hostile feelings towards America listening to the mosque leader talk about the evil infidels, then one day you see Al-jiz-era blabing about "OOOh noes !!!111 Bin Laden had StIcKKK sh0v3d up hi5 A$$!111@!" What would you do? If you weren't already fighting against kaffir, you would be pissed to see (what you consider to be) your rockstar idol being tortured, this would get you to do it. Think like they think, then you can defeat them. The Dalai lama is correct, a major figurehead like Bin Laden needs to be treated humanely and put on trial for the world. Seeing him brought to justice in a non-humiliating manner will go far to achieve justice while preventing the terrorists from getting recruitment propoganda.

Ah, Grasshopper you are correct!

The worst think we can do is make OBL a martyr.  Thats what all the fanatic muslims want, a reason to suck in all the moderates to their cause.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The worst think we can do is make OBL a martyr.  Thats what all the fanatic muslims want, a reason to suck in all the moderates to their cause.

-1. He needs to be "Saddamized" like Uday and Qusay. The rags will find reasons regardless for their cause. Might as well shove it up their asses anyway
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck the Dalai Lama.  I don't give two shits what he thinks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-1. He needs to be "Saddamized" like Uday and Qusay. The rags will find reasons regardless for their cause. Might as well shove it up their asses anyway

Gets my vote.

For every martyr there are 10,000 decayed corpses no one remembers. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Killing Bin Laden will inspire 10 more: Dalai Lama
Mar 31 10:57 PM US/Eastern
 Email this story
"The exiled Tibetan spiritual leader told The Daily Telegraph that terrorists should be treated humanely."

Okay, let's treat them like they do their victims, an eye for an eye?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#17]
He's right about killing Bin Laden as it would martyr him and inspire others to rise up in his place. Better to humiliate him and televise him committing sinful acts like relishing a pork chop and enjoying anal sex.  That would thoroughly discredit him.  Yes, it's not Bhuddism, but it's about terrorizing the terrorists.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
He's right about killing Bin Laden as it would martyr him and inspire others to rise up in his place. Better to humiliate him and televise him committing sinful acts like relishing a pork chop and enjoying anal sex.  That would thoroughly discredit him.  Yes, it's not Bhuddism, but it's about terrorizing the terrorists.

Yeah, that sends a helluva message:

Kill thousands of our countrymen, terrorize an entire city, shatter our economy...and we'll....

Make you look bad!

For crying out loud, I really wonder about some of you guys sometimes.

This whole concern about creating martyrs is wayyy overblown, be it Islamic terrorists or any other group of dirtbags.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Now i know why India which was at one time 100% Bhuddhist decided to go back to hinduism!!!
And why there USED TO BE Bhuddhists in PAKISTAN but NOW THERE ARE NONE!!!!! (remeber the statues???)
But you gotta remember one thing about Asians, They have a different mindset about religion. They are more like the old Romans, in that you could worship whomever you want and they dont care. They hardly EVER fight about religion, there has never been a Asian "crusade" or "jihad" that i am aware of. They are not "Abrahamists" like we are. With our "one God, i'll kill you all"   mentality. Plain fact is, they've never faced an aggressive conversion culture like Islam OR Christianity. Well actually they have, And it did'nt end up good, look at what the Japanese did to the Christians who tried to imperialise their country in the 1500's. I would'nt take advice on how to defeat Hitler from Ghandi anyway.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You might try reading some of his writings before you slam the man- he is extremely smart, not just book smart but intuitively so.  He has a knack for relating his beliefs and teachings to people of all religions and bringing them down to earth.  Unlike most people of faith, he doesn't condemn others for their choice of religion; in fact, I’d say he has a much better grasp of the fundamentals of Christianity than many, if not most, of the Christians I’ve met.  If more folks were to adopt some of the Buddhist philosophies we'd probably be better off.  

Needless to say, he’s one of the few “famous” people who’d I’d actually like to meet.  Everyone says that there is an amazing aura of peace about him that they can’t explain.  

JMHO
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might try reading some of his writings before you slam the man- he is extremely smart, not just book smart but intuitively so.  He has a knack for relating his beliefs and teachings to people of all religions and bringing them down to earth.  Unlike most people of faith, he doesn't condemn others for their choice of religion; in fact, I’d say he has a much better grasp of the fundamentals of Christianity than many, if not most, of the Christians I’ve met.  If more folks were to adopt some of the Buddhist philosophies we'd probably be better off.  

Needless to say, he’s one of the few “famous” people who’d I’d actually like to meet.  Everyone says that there is an amazing aura of peace about him that they can’t explain.  

JMHO

No, I don't think I need to read any more of his writings.  If he's stupid enough to think we shouldn't kill Bin Laden, then he's likely pretty stupid when it comes to everything else as well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

so nobody got this?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so nobody got this?

"On your deathbed you will receive total conciousness....so I got that going for me."
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree we should deal with terrorists humanely. A head shot shoudn't hurt for very long, and instant vaporization from a guided bomb won't cause any undue or extended suffering.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:30:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so nobody got this?

"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas."

"What’s a looper?"

"A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dali Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? "Gunga galunga. Gunga, gunga galunga." So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, "Oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me. Which is nice."
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Holy shit...  I wonder if some of you people really believe the crap you spew on these boards.
~Dg84
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Holy shit...  I wonder if some of you people really believe the crap you spew on these boards.
~Dg84

Aint that the truth.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#28]

95% of what he said there was accurate and insightful.

Anyone here think they got a better average than that?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The Dalai Lama said modern terrorism was born out of jealousy of Western lifestyles.

"Fundamentalism is terrifying because it is based purely on emotion, rather than intelligence," the 70-year-old monk said at the seat of his government-in-exile in the northern Indian hilltop town of Dharamsala.

"It prevents followers from thinking as individuals and about the good of the world.

"This new terrorism has been brewing for many years. Much of it is caused by jealousy and frustration at the West because it looks so highly developed and successful on television. Leaders in the East use religion to counter that, to bind these countries together."

I agree with both of these theories.  As far as treating him humanely, if OBL is actually captured (shudder) he will be treated humanely and put on trial, either a military tribunal or US civil court, because that is what we as a nation do.  You guys with fantasies of a fast summary execution on live TV and a burial in pig entrails need to face reality.  Hopefully when he is found he will be killed in the initial firefight.  If his death leads to 10 more OBLs we will deal with them too, since letting these guys win is not an option.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
95% of what he said there was accurate and insightful.

Anyone here think they got a better average than that?

Yeah.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
As far as treating him humanely, if OBL is actually captured (shudder) he will be treated humanely and put on trial, either a military tribunal or US civil court, because that is what we as a nation do.  You guys with fantasies of a fast summary execution on live TV and a burial in pig entrails need to face reality.  Hopefully when he is found he will be killed in the initial firefight.  If his death leads to 10 more OBLs we will deal with them too, since letting these guys win is not an option.  

Completely agree. When they find him, they should just shoot him right there on the spot. That goes for the entire enemy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As far as treating him humanely, if OBL is actually captured (shudder) he will be treated humanely and put on trial, either a military tribunal or US civil court, because that is what we as a nation do.  You guys with fantasies of a fast summary execution on live TV and a burial in pig entrails need to face reality.  Hopefully when he is found he will be killed in the initial firefight.  If his death leads to 10 more OBLs we will deal with them too, since letting these guys win is not an option.  

Completely agree. When they find him, they should tazer him a half dozen times just for laughs and then just shoot him right there on the spot. That goes for the entire enemy.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
~Dg84

Aint that the truth.

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Its funny how arrogant people can be sometimes.  

Some of you sound like a guy I work with, who is always "analyzing" and criticizing the business decisions Bill Gates has made, in a snide little authoritative tone.  And, inexplicably, this dude I work with ISN'T worth 40 billion dollars!!!  Quite a surprise, considering he knows more about business and tech than Gates, yes?  

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That's too bad,,because he has enough humillity to care what you think.

The NWO is already here,,,the world's a small place,,especially now with the WWW

And as far as OBL,,well they stone their people to death,,
IMHO,,every member of a victims family of 9/11
should be allowed to throw a stone at him,
while he's either tied to a stake or buried to his shoulders,  do unto others ect ect ect
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top