Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 8:13:00 AM EDT
is this a scam?  You pay about $30 per month and have a lawyer at your beck and call 24/7. There are limitations but it sounds too good to be true.  If it's legit, and I lived a risky lifestyle, it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Scam!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I love the 'bangers on Cops that whip the prepaid legal services card out as soon as the cops start talking.  Usually they've got outsanding warrants or something.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I had prepaid legal for a while through my employer. I wouldn't call it a "scam" but with the exception of a will, every legal issue I had while I had I had the coverage wasn't covered(excepting unlimited phone consults)

On one of problems I had while I had the coverage was a landlord/tenant issue. I would of been covered if I had been on the tenant side of the issue, but since I was the landlord, the referred attorneys all wanted 2K as a retainer before they would even look at the paperwork.

echo6
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
its a legitimate service that provides things like a free will preperation and unlimited consultation to a lawyer. i have it and have used it. if your interested , i-m and i'll send you to my website for more info.  i got into it and have sold memberships, i still make money on it , so much so that it pays for itself. you can be a member or an associate too. i got it when i decided to get my CCW. dont put it down untill you KNOW what your talking about!  the service costs me 9.99 a month, i do not have the ID theft protection, but it is a good deal too..Call for more info
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#5]
One I know of, the service is so limited, it's not worth it.   Free phone consultation.  ONE free letter one your behalf IF (BIG "IF") you AND the attorney BOTH agree it's necessary.  A simple will.  

Does not include any court appearances or even additional calls or letters on your behalf, no real representation of any kind. One in-person consultation if the attoney thinks you need it.  Maybe one review of a contract.

If that's needed, there are "negotiated" rates that seem to be no better standard -   33% of on contingency and I can't remember if they actually quoted an hourly rate, I think that would have to be negotiated.

So if you got sued or thrown in jail, what good does it do you? Nada, zip, zero.

Nolo Press has good self-help make-your own will books, though they were getting nailed by the state of Texas for "illegal non-attorney practice of law" or some such BS for just publishing their very good books - don't know if that got resolved or not, must have been based of complaints by a FEW TX attorneys who hated seeing people getting any kind of basic help for themselves.  Kinda like one thing that led to the Protestant Reformation - the priests keeping a stranglehold on scripture.

For the most part, I think this amounts to YOU paying for a referral service, which you can get for free from the local bar association,---- and typically the professionals are the ones that pay the services like 1-800-dentist to get referrals.

Many if not most NON legal-service- plan attorneys will give you a little free advice to see if you really have a case or not, and also will do 1/3 contingency on PI cases.   If you get sued or face criminal charges or have a family law problem, NONE I know of in or out of such plans will work on contingency for that --  after all, they're trying to earn a living like the rest of us, and they have to get paid by the hour or on a flat case rate.   In these situations where they're not able to try to recover money for you, what is there to get a percentage OF?

So, while it may not be a total scam,  in that you do get minimal services, you don't get much for 30 X 12 = 360 per year.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#6]
there is more to it than just the legal service, which is not as bad as you put it. theres potential profit!  PPL is a Big company and is traded on the New York Stock Exchange! not some fly by nite crap. it is more than a refferal system. some enthusiastic people are making alot of cash!. you can too. if you put as much emotion and positive effort into it as you did slamming it, fortune 500 potential!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
there is more to it than just the legal service, which is not as bad as you put it. theres potential profit!  PPL is a Big company and is traded on the New York Stock Exchange! not some fly by nite crap. it is more than a refferal system. some enthusiastic people are making alot of cash!. you can too. if you put as much emotion and positive effort into it as you did slamming it, fortune 500 potential!

how come companies like yours always like to say they are on the stock exchange?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#8]
FYI-

http://info.insure.com/legal/prepaidlegal.html

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top