Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2006 6:06:00 AM EDT
Ok I was married before so this is just a check on what you think..

this could be your income or your combined income if she works.

This is bare minimum I am talking here nothing more a yearly wage??
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#1]
There isn't one. Your salary shouldn't even be an issue.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
$87,000

this is kinda arbitrary.  there's no set $ ammount and anything below it= failure and anything above it  = success.  it's all about what you do with what you have
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Just find some woman you hate. Buy her a house, furniture, a car and give her $50,000 in cash.

You will come out cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]
You must be referring to one of those mail order brides right?
I dunno, I think its between $5,000-$10,000 for one. I wont spend more the 3 times my base pay on a house, and no more then 1 times my base pay for a car.
So, I figure I wont spend more the half my base pay on a wife, unless shes cooks cleans works and likes to shoot in which case I would spend 3/4's of my base pay on a wife. So, I would figure you need to make around 30,000 a year to order your bride.

That said, the fact you think money makes the marriage might be the cause of this...

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just find some woman you hate. Buy her a house, furniture, a car and give her $50,000 in cash.

Best advice so far
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

I don't think there's a base income requirement for marriage.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#7]
It was a subject that came up at work because so many young soldiers get married and at E-1 through E-4 pay isnt realy all that much and most the time the spouse doesnt work or if they do its a minimum wage job yet they survive.  

On the other hand it seems if you move away from military bases the age and financial status goes up way up before two people get married .

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I don't think there's a base income requirement for marriage.

Not making it a relationship question Im talking more about the survial aspect you know to be able to put food on the table roof over the head diapers on the baby...that kinda of think ...finacial semi-security..

edit cause poot does not equal put
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

no shit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
$87,000

this is kinda arbitrary.  there's no set $ ammount and anything below it= failure and anything above it  = success.  it's all about what you do with what you have

It's not funny when MarkM does it on every post. It's even less funny when you do it. Get a new schtick, or go post 87 posts per day somewhere else. Fuck, all that rich pussy down at UM and you're fucking off here all day.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I think it depends alot on a number of things. Your debt level; how much debt is each person bringing to the marriage? Your spending habits (spendthrift, frugal, tightwad?). Kids cost a LOT.

I think a couple shouldn't have kids unless one of them can stay home to raise them; it's oftentimes cheaper to stay home and raise kids than put them in daycare. Plus you have a better chance of a kid not turning out so screwed up.

Marriage can be a great thing if you don't screw it up with financial problems.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Depends what country and catalog you select your wife from.   Russian mail order brides compared to what?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#13]
It's like gambling, I mean exactly like gambling... how much can you afford to lose.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#14]
How much $$$ to get married? A lot less than to get unmarried...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How much $$$ to get married? A lot less than to get unmarried...

But it costs so much because it's worth it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Never enough money....
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Poot  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#18]
You need a choice in your poll for "Never enough"
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#19]
There should be a mandatory financial requirement for people to get married, in my opinion.  If I was all powerful and rule the world, you and your parner need to make a combined income of at least $80,000 before the two of you you can get married.  That figure can be adjusted based on your location.  So say if you live in a state with lower living cost, that figure can be adjusted down to say....60 - 70K.  But if you live in Long Island for example, your combined income need to be at least $200,000 before you can get married.  

IF that rule was followed, we wouldn't have all of these third world sh**t holes that keep giving us troubles.  The gene pool would be much better also, since idiots would probably won't be able to make as much income as smarter people.  

I will make exceptions for artists, performers and musicians (not talking about Hollywood stars / big time rock & pop musicians, here).  THis world will continue to need artistic talents.

Just my $.002
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Depends on your lifestyle requirements.  I know couples that live on what I pay in taxes that are completely happy.  I know couples  that are wealthy and can't stand eachother.  The only variable that means anything is love.  Untill you know that, you don't know what it takes to commit to another person for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There should be a mandatory financial requirement for people to get married, in my opinion.  If I was all powerful and rule the world, you and your parner need to make a combined income of at least $80,000 before the two of you you can get married.  That figure can be adjusted based on your location.  So say if you live in a state with lower living cost, that figure can be adjusted down to say....60 - 70K.  But if you live in Long Island for example, your combined income need to be at least $200,000 before you can get married.  

IF that rule was followed, we wouldn't have all of these third world sh**t holes that keep giving us troubles.  The gene pool would be much better also, since idiots would probably won't be able to make as much income as smarter people.  

I will make exceptions for artists, performers and musicians (not talking about Hollywood stars / big time rock & pop musicians, here).  THis world will continue to need artistic talents.

Just my $.002

What? You think scums get married before they have kids?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#22]
If it flies, floats or fucks its cheaper to rent it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#23]
To hell with marriage.  It's just legalized prostitution.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Really, income is only an issue for fools or people who are looking for excuses.

It's better to be poor and married to the one you love than to be poor and alone. Plus it's more economic too,

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Wouldn't say that........
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#26]
man, getting married is like making babies, it don't cost nothing,

now if you asked "how much money do you need to make to live with your new wife", then I'd replied, "none at all, but if you want her to stay around for awhile, then you need as much as you can get your hands on"

man, thats the plain and simple, if you wanted a sugar coated answer you should have asked and I'da toldja a fairy tale instead.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wouldn't and that's fine.  However, I would and do say that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#28]
If you need to ask you don't have enough. Just be willing to give up all that is sacred to you. I have to hide my gun habbit from the wife. Not easy. Good luck with it. It is very fulfilling when ya start havin kids. Those little ones are awesome. Just kiddin about the money issue. You  need enough to keep her off your back though. Take it from me. I make a military mans salary and the wifey does not work.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Its easier to find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie-pop.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#30]
You need to make enough so that money willnot be THE issue with your lifestyle.  It could be 25,000/year, or 2,000,000/year.   I would stay away from the latter.

You can work through most any problem that does not include money.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#31]
With my ex $1,000,000 a year wouldn't have been enough.

Next time I'm just going to find a woman that I don't like and buy her a house!  It's cheaper.

But on a more serious note; sit down and write out a budget, line by line, together and see if you and your future wife can live off of what you're making.  Then put in a fudge factor and add in kids if you want them.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wouldn't and that's fine.  However, I would and do say that.

But prostitutes have sex with you.

And to answer the original question: enough to hire a good lawyer to draw up a prenup.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my $.002

What? You think scums get married before they have kids? hr

Ten years of hard labor would be the punishment for scums who have kids.  That would "un-scum" this world.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#35]
It depends how much does she charge an hour?   Thats about one of the stupidest questions ever asked on this board.... well one of the stupidest.       Now if you were saying how much should WE make before BREEDING now that should be a concideration.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#36]
It does not matter how much you make, it matters how much she makes!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#37]
if the gold digging bitch wants to see your portfolio tell her to eat shit and get gang raped
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#38]
your salary range is too limited for people who actually finished high school and went to college and not working at Wal-Mart
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#39]
$0.  that way, you don't have anything to lose in the divorce!  the only way to guarantee that you won't get screwed over if the marriage doesn't work out is if you're a homeless, unemployed bum!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Just my $.002

So if my fiance and I get married and we don't make 60k we are skum if we get married?
Go get fucked you yuppie elitist shit bag.
I guess working on a ambulance doesn't help either since I'm just helping the scum and What a bout preachers/ministers they don't make a fortune but I gues there scum too. But yet some loser painter or lowlife poem writer is that much better to society. Most artists are worthless Edgar Allen Poe was a siphilis ridden hobo and so are most of the rest.

go crawl back in you hole
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

this could be your income or your combined income if she works.

This is bare minimum I am talking here nothing more a yearly wage??

Twice as much as you would like to live on, plus up to 56% additional if you want kids.  256% total.

How to we reach that sum?

She's gonna take HALF when you get divorced, plus about that for maintenance.

Add 56% additional for child support (28% of your net, but since she's already taking HALF, you'll need 56!)

Sucka!

John

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#42]
My marriage license cost $15 I think.
Minister was like $100

So $115 will do it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really, income is only an issue for fools or people who are looking for excuses.

It's better to be poor and married to the one you love than to be poor and alone. Plus it's more economic too,

I agree 100%.  

Plus it is better to be poor and married to someone you love than to be rich and married to someone you detest.  Money can't buy everything.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It was a subject that came up at work because so many young soldiers get married and at E-1 through E-4 pay isnt realy all that much and most the time the spouse doesnt work or if they do its a minimum wage job yet they survive.  

On the other hand it seems if you move away from military bases the age and financial status goes up way up before two people get married .

I sorta agree with the guy (Commandant of the Marine Corps?) that wanted to make a regulation that no enlisted person under E-5 could get married.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Finances are the #1 cause of marital strife. Don't kid yourself.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#47]
The question shouldnt be how much does it cost to get married, the question should be how much does it cost to get divorced?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Cost me $20 in Ohio
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Nothing.  Live off of Welfare and Uncle Sam pays you.    

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Truthfully,If you wait till you have enough money to get married, You never will.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top