Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 4:23:33 AM EDT
I took my M1 carbine to the shop for a firing pin or spring as it wasnt dimpling the primers. that was 3 weeks ago today, I called last week and was told , not too politely, that I should wait for them to call, which would be when they had a chance to look it over. Well, 3 weeks is a long time for me. maybe Im impatient I dont know. But I was wondering, how hard would it be for me to locate a firing pin and spring and install it myself ? Is this a tough operation ?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Paul
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
not tough at all...jesus, 3 weeks!!!??? just hit the next gun show or go to fulton's for the parts (the most obvious net choice). he can also do the work and even tune it up and tweak it...and all this WITHOUT THE FRIGGING ATTITUDE!!!

there's no fucking excuse for rudeness from someone who's gonna take your money!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Not really hard --You would have to dis-assemble the bolt. Some use a bolt tool to do this (more so for re-assembly than to take it apart) I have done it without one --takes some co-ordination but no worse than a M1A,Garand or FAL bolt. You may in fact find that the firing pin channel is in fact crudded up or some other component is the problem. By now you could have ordered or borrowed a bolt tool and haveing a fresh firing pin on hand as well as and extractor is a good idea anyway.

ETA
hell send me the bolt I'll have it back to ya in less than a week, good as new.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The dimpling of the primers is normal for a M1 rifle or carbine there is no spring on the firing pin.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:40:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I think he said its NOT dimpling the primers as if the firing pin is worn broken or blocked.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Parts & The  Carbine Maintainence manual are available online from many sources, Buy the Manual & the parts and do the work yourself.
I am sure you will find it a very rewarding learning experience
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think he said its NOT dimpling the primers as if the firing pin is worn broken or blocked.

Sorry my bad, disassemble and clean the bolt replace the firing pin for $10.00 it will take you 10 minutes
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW, glad I talked to you guys, Im going to try to swing by there today if I can fit it in and get my rifle back. I have a FTF trade this morning so Im gonna be short on time, you guys are right, I should have thought to look it up and done it myself. Im also worried they might try to swap out parts, this a a GI issue mint condition M1 carbine, and they have similar ones on their wall for over a grand.
I just wanna get it back to the range
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Excellent site with instructions/pictures and diagrams on bolt dissassembly (the whole gun actually) Best of luck. I learned to take mine apart by doing --it was before the internet and I could not find a manual to save my life. I just took one part at a time off an put it back on till I was familier as I could be and then moved on to the next most seemingly logical part. And the design really is pretty much soldier proof. Make sure you do have an extra extractor on hand lots of aftermarket or counterfeit ones are out there and they are cast and break at the worst times effectively putting the weapon out of action till it can be replaced. It is a good idea for the carbine to have one of those, a trigger, a hammer.sear,firing pin and a few spings and pins JIC. Pick them up at your next gunshow for a few dollars or brownells/numrich/fulton etc.

www.alpharubicon.com/leo/sergercarbinebolt.htm

BTW if you are in SE NY anywhere near Orange/Rockland Cty area I know a few guys who are M1& Carbine whiz-bangs in that area who can help you out if need be.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Hows this for service, I go into TNT gunnery in Seaford NY, ask for my gun, the guys wife is selling girl scout cookies, Im a sucker for that angle plus she said they shipped 20 boxes to troops overseas, so I fork over a $20 and take a box and refuse change. I buy some odds and ends and ask to get my gun if its done.
They get it out for me, the gunsmith says, problems feeding huh ? Well its most likely your mags cause I test fired it and its fine, no charge cause you bought it here.
Im like , nope, it was feeding fine, it wasnt dimpling the primers and I think its the firing pin or spring, did you replace them ?
No, no , no, it just needed to be cleaned, I test fired it, its working great- $25 cause I thought you bought it here.
I dont think he even looked at it.
I buy a gun sock to take it home in and the guy at the counter opens the bag and puts the rifle in barrel first and just lets it go !!!! WHAM barrel into the concrete floor !!!! hands me the rifle like nothing happened !!!! I just walked out. Totally unbelievable.
Im going to the website and learn to take it apart now.
Almost a month, cost $25 for an alleged cleaning and no repairs.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, man. All hell would have broken loose.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
TNT, Plenty of attitude there!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Paul, If you have trouble taking it apart give me a call, I have rebuilt many carbines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top