Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 11:43:19 AM EDT
Have you ever heard anyone speak sort of like Elmer Fudd, then realize that they're not just joking?  There were these twins I used to know that spoke like that, and my dad's friend's son does this as well.  What causes this?  Out of my dad's friends 3 sons, only the one has it, and he's the middle child.  Is this a neurological problem?

To get a better idea of what I am talking about, listen to Homestar Runner.  Do you know any people who speak like this?  

Does anyone know if this speech impediment has a name?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
it's your basic lisp, with emphasis on the "r" in homerun hitters case (comes out as a "w")

the american speech language hearing association has a list of lots of speech disorders you might find interesting  here

fish
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to say, I'm in MA, but it sure sounds like the BCM "mumbles" Menino
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sorry to say, I'm in MA, but it sure sounds like the BCM "mumbles" Menino

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this post at all.  Not a flame or anything, but please elaborate.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
"Sorry to say, I'm in MA, but it sure sounds like the BCM "mumbles" Menino

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this post at all. Not a flame or anything, but please elaborate"

The Mayor of Boston sounds the same.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"Sorry to say, I'm in MA, but it sure sounds like the BCM "mumbles" Menino

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this post at all. Not a flame or anything, but please elaborate"

The Mayor of Boston sounds the same.

AH!  Thanks for clearing that up!

I thought a lisp was just with the "s" sound?  Like "yeth thir".  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Rhotacism from what I can find.

And it's treatable with speech therapy.  My friend's sister did it when she was young, now she speaks just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top