Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 11:43:19 AM EDT
Have you ever heard anyone speak sort of like Elmer Fudd, then realize that they're not just joking? There were these twins I used to know that spoke like that, and my dad's friend's son does this as well. What causes this? Out of my dad's friends 3 sons, only the one has it, and he's the middle child. Is this a neurological problem?

To get a better idea of what I am talking about, listen to Homestar Runner. Do you know any people who speak like this?

Does anyone know if this speech impediment has a name?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:51:27 AM EDT
it's your basic lisp, with emphasis on the "r" in homerun hitters case (comes out as a "w")

the american speech language hearing association has a list of lots of speech disorders you might find interesting here

fish
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:54:49 AM EDT
Sorry to say, I'm in MA, but it sure sounds like the BCM "mumbles" Menino
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:58:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taipan01:
Sorry to say, I'm in MA, but it sure sounds like the BCM "mumbles" Menino

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this post at all. Not a flame or anything, but please elaborate.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:01:58 PM EDT
"Sorry to say, I'm in MA, but it sure sounds like the BCM "mumbles" Menino

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this post at all. Not a flame or anything, but please elaborate"

The Mayor of Boston sounds the same.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:04:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taipan01:
"Sorry to say, I'm in MA, but it sure sounds like the BCM "mumbles" Menino

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this post at all. Not a flame or anything, but please elaborate"

The Mayor of Boston sounds the same.

AH! Thanks for clearing that up!

I thought a lisp was just with the "s" sound? Like "yeth thir".
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:06:07 PM EDT
Rhotacism from what I can find.

And it's treatable with speech therapy. My friend's sister did it when she was young, now she speaks just fine.
Top Top