Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2006 5:48:58 AM EDT
Hiker finds $1 million in jewels / Hiker finds tourists' Louis Vuitton bag on park bench

SAUSALITO / Hiker finds $1 million in jewels / Hiker finds tourists' Louis Vuitton bag on park bench
In this photo provided by the Sausalito Police Department, a Louis Vuitton bag containing jewelry and cash is shown Monday, March 27, 2006, in Sausalito. Sausalito Police Department photo via The Marin Independent-Journal

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have turned it in too.

But I wouldnt have found any of the cash
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Honest people still exist in the world....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
i bet he thought the jewels were fakes, hell they look like costume jewelry to me...

the cash = finders fee :)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
finders keepers.

New Yorkers
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
finders keepers.

New Yorkers

He is right.

Stupid should hurt.  Forgetting to pick up your bag with a million dollars worth of jewels in it is very stupid, and the original owner should pay the consequences.

If he never got it back, I bet the next time he is walking around with that kind of wealth he will remember to grab his bag.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#8]
That's excellent!

If I was robbed or lost a valuable and a peep found my stuff and returned it, I would be very grateful.

It's not the ammount that counts. It's the integrity and honesty that counts.

That is what I would do and I'm sure the rest of you as well.

I don't want anything I didn't earn.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I found a brief case when I was a kid that had about 3k in money, important papers and passports.

We called the popo, returned it to the owner and I got 10 bks
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
finders keepers.

New Yorkers

He is right.

Stupid should hurt.  Forgetting to pick up your bag with a million dollars worth of jewels in it is very stupid, and the original owner should pay the consequences.

If he never got it back, I bet the next time he is walking around with that kind of wealth he will remember to grab his bag.

How pathetic. If you park your car in a public lot and it is stollen. Well hell, You left it there didn't you?

Idiot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
finders keepers.

New Yorkers

He is right.

How pathetic. If you park your car in a public lot and it is stollen. Well hell, You left it there didn't you?

Idiot.

Speak for yourself, dipshit.

At least I would have locked my car, and have insurance.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I think i would look for ID and try to give it  back to the owner. If not, then i would turn it in.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:04:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
finders keepers.

New Yorkers

He is right.

Ohhh! That makes it all OK!!!!

Back in a moment... I'm off to rob some FDIC banks.

It does not belong to YOU! Idiot.

Idiot.

Speak for yourself, dipshit.

At least I would have locked my car, and have insurance.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like we'er all making friends today.

Can't we just all get along??
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, this thread turned south in short order.

On the original topic: Honesty is its' own reward.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  

Your a moron. What do you do? Bolt everything you own to the ground? Idiot
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I worked at a convenience store for a while when I was in college. Around Xmas, an old lady left her purse with over a thousand dollars in it on the counter.

Even though I was stone broke, and was sorely tempted to keep the $$$ and dump the purse, I still called her up to tell her that her billfold and money were there.

I don't recall any reward (it was twenty years ago or so), but it was the right thing to do anyway.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:11:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
finders keepers.

New Yorkers

C'mon now ---> A Louie Vuitton bag sitting on a park bench unattended? That ritard Paris Hilton left it there? I doubt it. More like perp drug money.

Exactly what I thought. And aren't diamonds sometimes traceable, due to their quality and cut?

Hiker did the right thing. Otherwise, he/she could have gone to jail, if caught trying to sell hot stuff.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I doubt that junk would fetch much at the local pawn shop.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#22]
That bag really loks like an MP5 to me
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I worked at a convenience store for a while when I was in college. Around Xmas, an old lady left her purse with over a thousand dollars in it on the counter.

Even though I was stone broke, and was sorely tempted to keep the $$$ and dump the purse, I still called her up to tell her that her billfold and money were there.

I don't recall any reward (it was twenty years ago or so), but it was the right thing to do anyway.

Good for you!

I will never forget the lesson I learned as a kid. My father picked up a $20 bill in a gas station. He asked the man leaving if he had all his money and to check his wallet. The man said damn I'm short $20 !  He said here, I think you dropped it and gave it back.  While pop is doing well now retired in Florida we could have used that money at the time but my Father is an HONEST MAN! He never, ever took anything that did not belong to him. I am proud to carry on that truely American legacy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:31:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, it wasn't his.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#26]

i would have probably *assumed* it was all fake since you have to be stupid to 1)be carrying $1000000 worth of jewlery and cash around with you, and 2) leave it on a bench...

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow.

First....IBTL

Second. Why in the fuck would anyone have $1 million in Jewels in a bag?

What the fuck?

And then leave it laying around.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

i would have probably *assumed* it was all fake since you have to be stupid to 1)be carrying $1000000 worth of jewlery and cash around with you, and 2) leave it on a bench...

You don't have to be smart to be rich.  Ted Turner is proof of that and I could give many other examples. Babbs?

It's not YOURS. Fake or not.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#29]
That's right  adair.

Bail out!

Thief!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#30]
If it had ID, I would try to contact the owner to get them their property back.  If it had no ID, then I'd post a few ads and flyers.  After several weeks of trying, it would be mine. Wouldn't give it to the police, ever!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#31]
"Bag of jewels" is kind of misleading.  It could be as little as 4 or 5 stones, maybe a ring or two.

I worked a jewelry store robbery in the late 80's, 2.2 million in loose diamonds.  The thief dropped the cigarette pack-sized case on the way thru the parking lot.

He got away clean with the 60$ in the cash register though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
"Bag of jewels" is kind of misleading.  It could be as little as 4 or 5 stones, maybe a ring or two.

I worked a jewelry store robbery in the late 80's, 2.2 million in loose diamonds.  The thief dropped the cigarette pack-sized case on the way thru the parking lot.

He got away clean with the 60$ in the cash register though.

Man, even a by the book guy like yourself has to be tempted once in awhile to dip into the ill gotten gains.  I know I would be tempted to, not that I would ever do it.  I wouldn't ever be able to sleep well again or look at myself in the mirror but that little voice in your head saying, "who would know what the crook got away with" would be tough to deal with everyday.  I salute you on your choice of profession and service to your community.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
finders keepers.

New Yorkers

He is right.

Assuming you ain'y trollin':  What if the bag had been stolen and left carelessly on a bench by an incredibly stupid...I mean criminal?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Refreshing ain't it?

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#35]
I think that is great to hear that there are people who care more about doing the right thing than their own financial gain. Great lesson for the kids out there.
James
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Honestly, if I had found that much stuff I would assume it was stolen and the thief ditched the evidence for some reason.  I'd turn it in as much not to have stolen property.  Plus if the owner were never found, in many jurisdictions after a certain period of time, the finder has the rights to it free and clear.  Better to be honest than become a criminal out of greed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Let's put our thinking caps on.

Louis Vuitton hand bag/wallet = $$$
Big wad of money = $$$
Lots of gaudy jewelry = $$$

This either belonged to a rich socialite who has more money than she knows what to do with, or a drug dealer.

All you guys wondering how to get a girl to let you stick it in her pooper - that's how.
Buy her a louis vuitton/coach/etc handbag, and she'll let you stick it anywhere.
Sad fact, but that is how shallow some women are.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Honest people still exist in the world....

Getting more rare every day it seems.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I would have at least kept the Louis Vuitton handbag. It would have made an impressive fashion statement using it as my range bag and loading it up with my cleaning gear and equipment.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I would have at least kept the Louis Vuitton handbag. It would have made an impressive fashion statement using it as my range bag and loading it up with my cleaning gear and equipment.

LoL, put 2 gold plated DE's in .50 in it and you'll be Big Pimp'N
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd have turned it into the Police, too.

Lord knows where that's been and who might come looking for it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I found a brief case when I was a kid that had about 3k in money, important papers and passports.

We called the popo, returned it to the owner and I got 10 bks

yeah, you only got 10 bks because the owner knew that when he lost the briefcase it had 6k in money in it
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Let's put our thinking caps on.

Louis Vuitton hand bag/wallet = $$$
Big wad of money = $$$
Lots of gaudy jewelry = $$$

This either belonged to a rich socialite who has more money than she knows what to do with, or a drug dealer.

All you guys wondering how to get a girl to let you stick it in her pooper - that's how.
Buy her a louis vuitton/coach/etc handbag, and she'll let you stick it anywhere.
Sad fact, but that is how shallow some women are.

so, now how many ARFCOMMERS will be handing a Coach handbag to their wife this weekend, saying "but honey, thedoctors308 said...."
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
finders keepers.

New Yorkers

C'mon now ---> A Louie Vuitton bag sitting on a park bench unattended? That ritard Paris Hilton left it there? I doubt it. More like perp drug money.

Edited to add - Any ID in the bag? No? What moron carries that much stuff in their bag WITHOUT ID? Better yet - what normal person carries that amount of shit for a stroll? Of course if there's legit ID in there you should make an honest attempt to locate the owner, but I'm having a real hard time believing this is clean money.

So you would keep it?   Even if it was stolen?    

Aren't you supposed to be like...a cop?

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I would've kept the cash and the bag. (knew what it was as soon as I saw it)  Would've MAILED the rest back.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#47]
The question is "How much is your honor worth?"

yakrat101
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#48]
just saw a story in the base newspaper. a marine and his son went to the commissary and the 6yr old (the son!) saw a purse in a cart. they opened it up and found $400. they turned it in to the pmo. i think it was a valuable lesson to the kid, as was said above, "honesty is it's own reward" and the kid will remember that all his life. my integrity and selfworth come at a much higher price than $400 or $1,000,000!

but on the other hand...if i was in iraq and had found that trailer full of saddam's gold bullion, i'da been looking for someplace to stash that beeyotch, you betcha!

wtf does that mean???
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The question is "How much is your honor worth?"

yakrat101

8 figures.
I have done the calculations.

Sounds about right to me.

yakrat101
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top