Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 6:46:18 PM EDT
What's the area like?  How are the locals?  Is it overrun with illegals?  Local politics?   How are taxes/cost of living?  Can you hunt the giant mice at the Magic Kingdom?

CO
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Shameless bump.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:40:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You might get more of a response in the Florida Hometown forum.

I know that I looked at Orlando when I moved here. But the crime was higher, the pace of life was more city like, and the housing prices were higher.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have already cross-posted there.  I just wanted to cover my bases.  Thanks.

CO
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
We locals refer to it as home of Dismal World and the Tragic Kingdom.

Seriously, ORL is just like any other big city USA, with all the traffic etc. Being able to speak spanish is a big plus.  Lots of cultural activities. Nice weather year around except for the hurricanes.

One thing to keep in mind is the humidity in FL runs about %99 most of the year so if you are used to a dry climate like Kali or Colorado, be prepared to understand what swelter means from April to Nov.

Taxes in FL are high no matter what, no income tax, but high gas tax, sales tax runs %7, and property taxes are high too. I live in a rural area on a 3 mile long dirt road with zero county services, no garbage pickup, no utilities, no cable, no DSL,  (power is from a co-op) and my property taxes are $3000 a year. Property in ORL is going to be high, my guess is a median home is running around $250k there now.

Got favorable gun laws, NFA etc.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:55:28 AM EDT
[#6]

If you are asking as a possible relo...

IMHO, there are a lot better places to live in Fl.  Orlando is like living in any overcrowded, fast-growing, service-oriented area - only hot as shit.  "It's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to ...."

I live in Pinellas county (Clearwater/St Pete) which is the most densely populated county in the state.  It doesn't "feel" as crowded as Orlando because the infrastructure and the local govts are more mature.  Plus, I am 5 minutes from the beach and boat ramps.  I can have my boat 5 miles out in the Gulf about a half hour after leaving my house.

Also, (knock on wood), there is some kind of hurricane barrier around here.  Central, SE, SW and NW Fl got hit waaay harder than here in '04-'05.  I live on a plateau/bluff behind the Gulf so we'll be on an island if the big one ever hits here, but we won't be flooded.

Again, I'm always amazed that people try like hell to move to Florida and then live in some suburban sprawl nightmare 2 or 3 hours from the beach.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Taxes in FL are high no matter what, no income tax, but high gas tax, sales tax runs %7, and property taxes are high too. I live in a rural area on a 3 mile long dirt road with zero county services, no garbage pickup, no utilities, no cable, no DSL,  (power is from a co-op) and my property taxes are $3000 a year. Property in ORL is going to be high, my guess is a median home is running around $250k there now.

That's nothing.  Here in MD everything is taxed, income tax is 7.5%, my property taxes are higher than yours and I live in a virtual ghetto.

BTW I love Orlando.  That would be my second or third choice if I moved down there (after Gainesville and Tallahassee).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nothing.  Here in MD everything is taxed, income tax is 7.5%, my property taxes are higher than yours and I live in a virtual ghetto.

BTW I love Orlando.  That would be my second or third choice if I moved down there (after Gainesville and Tallahassee).

GunLvr

Doc is right. After moving here from VA, my total taxes are about 1/2 what I paid in VA. MD is worse.

$3k in taxes is small compared to most other places in the country.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

IMHO, there are a lot better places to live in Fl.  Orlando is like living in any overcrowded, fast-growing, service-oriented area - only hot as shit.  "It's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to ...."

In our line of work you go where the opportunities present themselves, and they don't present themselves that often (on the upside, we can never be outsourced).  There may be an opportunity in Orlando, so I thought I'd get the skinny from the locals.  So far, I haven'theard anything that sounds worse than where we are now.

Thanks for all the info.

CO
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In our line of work you go where the opportunities present themselves, and they don't present themselves that often (on the upside, we can never be outsourced).  There may be an opportunity in Orlando, so I thought I'd get the skinny from the locals.  So far, I haven'theard anything that sounds worse than where we are now.

Thanks for all the info.

CO

Where are you now?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#11]
orlando is FULL of mexicans
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Almost half of the pop. of Orlando is of hispanic origin ( Mostly of Puerto Rican descent).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
FWIW, Floridas population is expected to increase by 11 million in the next 10-15 years.

I can agree with that.  I was on vacation there 10 years ago, and I met this retired couple from So. Calif(Riverside,60 miles east of Los Angeles), they move the Orlando area because at that the cost of living was half of what it is in So. Calif.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I hate Orlando almost as much as I hate Miami.

Just another crowded, nasty, ugly, POS city. Difference is, at least it has the theme parks which, after the 37th visit, are all the same anyway.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a shithole... Next question !
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Almost half of the pop. of Orlando is of hispanic origin ( Mostly of Puerto Rican descent).

And that's why I got the hell out.Born there in '61,lived there all my life until I got the hell out in 1999.Wished I had brought the American flag out with me.Traffic is unreal-unless you're used to L.A.Crime is rampant,here in N.E. Florida you only have to kill 1 person to get on the evening news,in Orlando you have to kill at least 2 people.Killing only 1 isn't news.

On the plus side there's plenty of jobs and plenty of things to do but traffic,home prices and crime are out of controll.My parents still live there so I go back a couple times a year and it just reminds me why I got the hell out.If you're coming from New York City it's going to seem like a nice place,if you're coming from average America it's going to be a nightmare.

I would never recommend Orlando for a family man but for a single man there are buku smokin' hot womenz.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Three Words
Orange Blossom Trail    
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#18]
The only time I go to Horlando is to attend service update schools.  LOTS of hot wimmenz, but I wouldn't live there on a bet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Three Words

Orange Blossom Trail    

Amen, dude. The worst.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that's why I got the hell out.Born there in '61,lived there all my life until I got the hell out in 1999.Wished I had brought the American flag out with me.Traffic is unreal-unless you're used to L.A.Crime is rampant,here in N.E. Florida you only have to kill 1 person to get on the evening news,in Orlando you have to kill at least 2 people.Killing only 1 isn't news.

I was there last Fall and the traffic is nothing compared to DC.  Of course I never went downtown but I was at the Florida Mall area on a weekday rush hour.  No problem.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source?

IIRC it was in the Orlando Sentinel for the Orlando Metro area. Usually have something like this once a year. Believe the estimate was around 47-48%. Some areas are predominantly hispanic (South/ Southeast Orlando, Buena Ventura, Kissimmee and almost all of the area north of Kissimmee along SOBT/ John Young Parkway up to and including South Orlando).

Which part of Florida are you in?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source?

IIRC it was in the Orlando Sentinel for the Orlando Metro area. Usually have something like this once a year. Believe the estimate was around 47-48%. Some areas are predominantly hispanic (South/ Southeast Orlando, Buena Ventura, Kissimmee and almost all of the area north of Kissimmee along SOBT/ John Young Parkway up to and including South Orlando).

currently i live in Miami (even MORE hispanic, but mostly cuban and south american)  I used to live in Ft. Pierce and go up to Kissimmee all the time to water ski
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source?

currently i live in Miami (even MORE hispanic, but mostly cuban and south american)  I used to live in Ft. Pierce and go up to Kissimmee all the time to water ski

Kissimmee has a sizeable Indian (as from India) and arab population too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Orlando has good outlet stores, that's about all I remember.  I wouldn't live there because it's too far from the ocean.  

I used to live in Naples and the traffic would get bad around Spring Break time, but that's about it.  Nothing compared to the traffic gridlock of DC or Chicago.  The only thing that scared me was all the blue haired old farts in their three ton land yachts plowing into me.  Even though a motorcycle is ideal out there, I never bought one because a bike may as well come with a free funeral down there.

Reminded  me of that South Park episode a few years back.  Old people crashing into buildings all over town "This isin't the Country Kitchen Buffet".

YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#27]
amazed at how many folks flat out dislike hispanics, let alone illegals. Scratch that. Not shocking at all.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I live in Orlando, I have for the past 4.5 years. I dont really care for it.

I moved here from south florida-the Weston/Fort Lauderdale area.

I like south florida much better, although there is a much higher hispanic population down there. At least in south florida there is LOTS of stuff to do and its not as congested as here.(although it is getting there)

Every highway except for 1 is a toll road. So expect $25-$50 in tolls every month here.

I have also noticed a lot more crime here than there. I guess because there is a great difference in wealth in such close proximities here. Down in the area where I lived in south florida everyone was pretty much equally rich and there wasnt much crime because of a massive police presence(although the officers of the particular department were some of the worst in the nation) . Police are scarce on the outskirts of Orlando.

If you are going to move to a place near Orlando and want to live with white people(and a church on every corner) check out a place called Sanford. It is slightly northeast of Orlando and is growing into a nice place.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Hispanics don't bother me any more than anyone else, some of you guys have issues.  I asked about illegals.
So far, it sounds like it's busy, crowded and a little expensive (pretty much what I've got now).   Anything else I should know?

CO
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hispanics don't bother me any more than anyone else, some of you guys have issues.  I asked about illegals.
So far, it sounds like it's busy, crowded and a little expensive (pretty much what I've got now).   Anything else I should know?

CO

On the off chance that I'm included in that statement;

Have no problem with hispanics either. Response was to someone saying that ORL was full of Mexicans which is not correct. I stated the percentage of population that is of hispanic origin and do believe it is correct. Someone else asked for a source and I believe I provided the correct source. Also stated areas where it is obvious that there is a very large percentage in the Metro area that would support my statement of a large hispanic populace in the area. Said nothing derogatory about anyone of hispanic descent.  There are I'm sure a sizeable number of undocumented workers also but couldn't tell you how many.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I also have no problem with Latins.  I figured most of those I saw in Orlando were Puerto Rican or Cuban.  Some nice looking MILFs in that group, and quite of a few of those locals were guests at WDW parks.  In fact there were more Latins at the parks than blacks.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Orlando is the most generic, contrived city in America.

All cities - even those that suck - have an identity. Except Orlando.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#33]
CHECK OUT ST. CLOUD...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Orlando is the most generic, contrived city in America.

All cities - even those that suck - have an identity. Except Orlando.

Oh come on everybody knows it's the house of the Mouse. That's an Identity.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

CO

Well then maybe you're talking about me.

In my case it has nothing to do about people not being blond haired and blue eyed like me.Unless your name is Tonto we are all from some other place originally.I could give a shit where you are from.What it has to do with is people coming here and not wanting to assimilate.I knew it was time to leave when I went to vote and the ballots were in English and Spanish.

And there are plenty of illegals.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I knew it was time to leave when I went to vote and the ballots were in English and Spanish.

Seen on a bumper sticker in Miami this afternoon:

"Yo soy el Army."

"I am the Army" for those of you who don't habla.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#37]
My family is/was "Cuban". I'm an AMERICAN. I'm not fluent in Spanish but can read/write to get by. I'm too tan for the whites and too white for the tans. I thank the Lord for my Salvation and the Body of Christ. I escaped Tampa w/ my wife and kids, get out while you can.
Orlando?
Run away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top