Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 5:44:17 PM EDT
How much should I expect to pay at a reputable and clean tattoo parlor for getting "Moλών Λαβέ" in simple black serifed text on my right shoulder/bicep area?

ETA: Okay, let's just go ahead and pretend we've already had all the "87," "tats suck," "you'd give up your guns in a second like any sheep," "agntsa," etc. replies this thread needs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
i think, amazingly, it will be about 87 bucks
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on the artist.  The shop I go to charges $150 per hour for a custom tattoo.  But, what you are looking to get (depending on detail) for just that tattooed i would pay no more the $75-90.

p.s: What does that mean anyway?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I paid 80 bucks to have Molon Labe stapled onto my shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It depends on the artist.  The shop I go to charges $150 per hour for a custom tattoo.  But, what you are looking to get (depending on detail) for just that tattooed i would pay no more the $75-90.

It comes from the Sparta-Persia war, at the battle of Thermopylae. The Persians far outnumbered the Spartans, ordered the Spartans to surrender their arms, and (according to legend) the Spartans famously replied "Moλών Λαβέ (pron. Moh-lone lah-vey)" which is Greek for "come and take them." It is now rallying cry of the heavily-pro-gun movement, the ones who won't surrender their arms if and when the government comes for them.

ETA: So, between 70 and 90 bucks, then? I guess I best start saving. Sucks being a poor student.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It comes from the Sparta-Persia war, at the battle of Thermopylae. The Persians far outnumbered the Spartans, ordered the Spartans to surrender their arms, and (according to legend) the Spartans famously replied "Moλών Λαβέ (pron. Moh-lone lah-vey)" which is Greek for "come and take them." It is now rallying cry of the heavily-pro-gun movement, the ones who won't surrender their arms if and when the government comes for them.

ETA: So, between 70 and 90 bucks, then? I guess I best start saving. Sucks being a poor student.

I know about the poor part.  It took me a whole year to finish my half sleve.  15 hours in the chair and $1300 later it was finally finished.  Looking into getting another one soon.  My god-daughter was just born 1 week ago and i might tattoo her foot print on my calf with her date of brith and name under it.  The footprint will stand for her walking all over me and getting whatever she wants for many years to come.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I know about the poor part.  It took me a whole year to finish my half sleve.  15 hours in the chair and $1300 later it was finally finished.  Looking into getting another one soon.  My god-daughter was just born 1 week ago and i might tattoo her foot print on my calf with her date of brith and name under it.  The footprint will stand for her walking all over me and getting whatever she wants for many years to come.

Yeah, and this is just the first of at least 4. I'll also be getting "Libertad o Muerte" on my left bicep, my family shield on my right under the "Moλών Λαβέ," and a design I'm working on to go on my back.

Is it still illegal to sell kidneys? You only need one, right?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of shops charge $10 a letter.You would get a lot more bang for the buck going by the hour. A good artst could do 2 or 3 tats of that size in an hour.  
I have seen people pay $200 for a 30 minute tat. The artist was sorta dragging it out so to kill time so maybe the guy wouldnt realize he was paying $400 a hour for a tat.
The overhead is the same on a $25 dollar tattoo as it is on a $200 tattoo.  A good artist will use a liner bar of needles and a shader bar and they usually put enough ink out to do 3 times what they need. . They make out like bandits doing small tattoos. The profit margins on tatoos are unreal. The artist that stay off the booze and dope tend to make very good livings.

$100 or 150 a hour aint that bad, cuz ya get what ya pay for and your probably gonna have it for the rest of your life. I would go to some shops and see who does good work and who is willing to work with you and not just looking to empty your wallet. If you make sure he knows what ya want and is able to lay down the ink in a timely manner you can get a lot of ink in an hour.

Life's too long to have bad ink
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn... I was hoping for a red radio update.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top