Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I wonder if someone could sue them for the fetal position bullcrap after surviving a bear attack...

IT WAS A JOKE.  They did a bunch of commercials like that making fun of the "more you know" stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wonder if someone could sue them for the fetal position bullcrap after surviving a bear attack...

IT WAS A JOKE.  They did a bunch of commercials like that making fun of the "more you know" stuff.

Que?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Personally I use the time honored........Shit my pants and run away screaming like a little girl method myself.

Reminds me of a joke....

Some Christians are in a cage awaiting being fed to the lions and bantering back and forth and preparing to meet their maker when a sympathetic guard overhears them and offers some advise.

"To make the lion not eat you, what you gotta do is right at the moment he opens his mouth to take a bite is shove a pile of shit into his mouth."

"Sounds like a great idea, but where do we get some shit?"

"Trust me, when you see the lion charge, you will have plenty to use."
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1Mark my words, the last thing you want to do is roll up in a ball and play dead. That is a bunch of harose shit that city folk say to feel better when they go hiking! You fight, you scream, you advance, you kick dirt and rocks at them and snarl like your mad!!

I always love the whole idea of playing dead. Let me ask you that believe this line of thought,, at what point are you going to throw youerself on the ground and "play" dead?

CH

I think you are missing the point.   Yup, you do all of what you have said above, but when you are on your back, with mamma grizzly deciding which is more nutritious for her cubs, your ass, or you testicles,   that is the time to play dead.  Seriously, then she thinks you are no longer a threat to her cubs, and will probably leave you along....unless she is hungry.

There have been quite a few examples of this working, I'm surprised you have not seen people who have been mauled, and survied, to tell that this is exaclty what they did.   Black bears you are probably right.   Grizz, good luck fighting them.

A guy who was badly mauled came to our school last week to talk to students about his ordeal.  I believe she left him once, and he moved, only to have her pounce back on top of him.   His playing dead saved his life

Yeah, not going to win a fight with a Griz. But not going to win a fight with a black bear either. Very, very fast and still plenty strong enough to kill a man with one well placed blow.

My understanding is that Griz will attack if you invade their territory or seem to be a threat. When they no longer believe that they will leave. Sometimes.
When a black bear, usually more docile attacks it is for food so you might as well fight, try to scare it off, etc.

In any event, anyone who wanders around in bear country unarmed is a fool. Probably get lucky, might not. And you never know when you are going to run into the wrong bear at the wrong time. Same for other predators-wolf, cougar, etc.
You want to put your life in the hands of a can of spray....well, it'll probably work. Either that or you are on the short end of "survival of the fittest."

Me? I go armed but I spend a LOT of time in the forest and have had plenty of close encounters with predators. When I went back to get the bear skull pictured above, some stupid yuppie chick was wandering around in the forest there all alone with nothing but a camera. See people walking trails with their little kids strung out behind 'em. Last one I saw like that had her fucking 4 year old, yeah 4 year old, wandering back 75 yards behind everyone. And then she got bent out of shape because my dog was running loose.  No shit. In the forest. I'm supposed to have my dog on a leash and the bear and mountain lion are cuddly little creatures. I told her to go back to the city. People are idiots and I see them doing this kind of shit all the time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1Mark my words, the last thing you want to do is roll up in a ball and play dead. That is a bunch of harose shit that city folk say to feel better when they go hiking! You fight, you scream, you advance, you kick dirt and rocks at them and snarl like your mad!!

I always love the whole idea of playing dead. Let me ask you that believe this line of thought,, at what point are you going to throw youerself on the ground and "play" dead?

CH

I think you are missing the point.   Yup, you do all of what you have said above, but when you are on your back, with mamma grizzly deciding which is more nutritious for her cubs, your ass, or you testicles,   that is the time to play dead.  Seriously, then she thinks you are no longer a threat to her cubs, and will probably leave you along....unless she is hungry.

There have been quite a few examples of this working, I'm surprised you have not seen people who have been mauled, and survied, to tell that this is exaclty what they did.   Black bears you are probably right.   Grizz, good luck fighting them.

A guy who was badly mauled came to our school last week to talk to students about his ordeal.  I believe she left him once, and he moved, only to have her pounce back on top of him.   His playing dead saved his life

have fun getting chewed up
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it is a joke, You can see all the "PSA's"  HERE
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't care what anyone says a few mags of 7.62x39 will make a bad day for any creature.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if it would work with a Croc attack too....

September 2005, Coburg Peninsula, Northern Territory
Russell Butel, 55,a very experienced diver, was collecting fish and coral for his aquarium business at Washon Head on the Coburg Peninsula in the Northern Territory in September 2005.
A 5 metre long crocodile clamped his massive jaws around Russel's head and crushed his skull. He was probably close to the surface of the water at the moment of the attack. His friend Nick Sherwood was in a dinghy nearby and reported him missing. A National Parks ranger later found the body about 2km. from where the attack took place. As this was a remote area which was home to quite a few crocodiles and the diver had known there was a high risk of attack it was decided not to shoot the crocodile.

Maybe not....... Shoot first and shoot a lot.

Legend has it that in the Normanton river, several kilometres from the town of Normanton, NW Queensland, there was a ginormous croc. Krystina Pawloski, a woman of small build but handy with the gun, shot a crocodile measuring around nine metres in the Norman River in July 1958. There is an awesome replica in the main street of Normanton which the locals swear is true to size, reportedly the actual skin was used for this statue as a 'mould' to make sure of correct size and proportions, the skin is still kept in Townsville, north Queensland
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wonder if it would work with a Croc attack too....

September 2005, Coburg Peninsula, Northern Territory
Russell Butel, 55,a very experienced diver, was collecting fish and coral for his aquarium business at Washon Head on the Coburg Peninsula in the Northern Territory in September 2005.
A 5 metre long crocodile clamped his massive jaws around Russel's head and crushed his skull. He was probably close to the surface of the water at the moment of the attack. His friend Nick Sherwood was in a dinghy nearby and reported him missing. A National Parks ranger later found the body about 2km. from where the attack took place. As this was a remote area which was home to quite a few crocodiles and the diver had known there was a high risk of attack it was decided not to shoot the crocodile.

Maybe not....... Shoot first and shoot a lot.

Legend has it that in the Normanton river, several kilometres from the town of Normanton, NW Queensland, there was a ginormous croc. Krystina Pawloski, a woman of small build but handy with the gun, shot a crocodile measuring around nine metres in the Norman River in July 1958. There is an awesome replica in the main street of Normanton which the locals swear is true to size, reportedly the actual skin was used for this statue as a 'mould' to make sure of correct size and proportions, the skin is still kept in Townsville, north Queensland
www.amazingaustralia.com.au/images/normanton_crocodile.jpg

Hope that Croc liked the taste of shit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
21ft
4500 lbs

I believe Nigeria. Article with it said it was 80 years old and they believe was getting slow enough to have difficulty catching prey. Villagers going down by the river were disappearing.

Impressive beast.
Damn near a prehistoric monster.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Always travel with someone slower than you.

Sad...but true!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a audio of timothy treadwell getting mauled and dragged off into the woods. Dont think have ever released that. Too bad. I really wanted to hear a dumb ass getting torn up.

Among the last words Timothy Treadwell uttered to his girlfriend before a bear killed and partially ate both of them were these:

"Get out here. I'm getting killed.''

Words caught on a tape recording of the attack also reveal Treadwell's girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, shouting at him to play dead, then encouraging him to fight back.

Troopers Wednesday refused requests to release the audiotape, but said it convinced them the two people had been killed by a bear.

http://www.adn.com/front/story/4118880p-4134149c.html
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In the late '70's there was a Black Panther covering a wide area just outside of Omaha on the west...there were a number of ranchers that wanted us to take him out.

Never could find the dang guy but saw a bunch of tracks...they were huge.

HH

Size 16 Nikes?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
"Quincy, do you remember when you stood over me? You were so hungry, and you should have eaten me, but you didn't. Thanks for not eating me, Quincy," Dmytryk recalled him saying to the bear in the clip. "If Quincy had eaten me, good, 'cause he's a nice bear."

He didnt even try to run
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
21ft
4500 lbs

I believe Nigeria. Article with it said it was 80 years old and they believe was getting slow enough to have difficulty catching prey. Villagers going down by the river were disappearing.

Impressive beast.

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/drjarhead/croc03.jpg  

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/drjarhead/croc02.jpg

THAT'S A HUGE BITCH  ! ! ! ! !
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No bears down here. One thing that cant eat me when I go camping.

i have a friend who swears (i'm not making this up) that there are panthers in fla..

They're called Florida Panthers.  They are basically a sub species of the same cat known as cougar, puma, or mountain lion depending on which state you are from.

Florida Panthers are very rare and suffer from inbreeding because the population is so small.

I can vouch for Al & Fl  from Montgomery to Apalachicola. I've seen em all my life.............
Cept I'm not to sure about the inbreeding part.

Unless inbreeding meens

" as soon as you make eye contact with this thing you know, I meen KNOW it could own you on land , sea or air, so you have to bluff to get it outa there. "
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
21ft
4500 lbs

Impressive beast.

THAT'S A HUGE BITCH  ! ! ! ! !

That's a Big Croc, the one above was reportly  8.6Metres (28feet)

Still you wouldn't wanna meet any of them in your bathroom/
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CH

I specified black bears.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#19]
The croc above is only 16 feet long and 1900 lbs. It is only about 50 years old.

Check snopes.

www.snopes.com/katrina/photos/crocodile.asp
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Here what NOT to do if an elk attacks
elk attack
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
elk attack

I love watching these retards, they are so funny.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have a friend who swears (i'm not making this up) that there are panthers in fla..

They're called Florida Panthers.  They are basically a sub species of the same cat known as cougar, puma, or mountain lion depending on which state you are from.

Florida Panthers are very rare and suffer from inbreeding because the population is so small.

that's not the only thing in Florida that suffers from that
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#23]
blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam
then I will push the magazine ejector on my Dan Wesson Razorback and insert a new mag & if the bear isn't dead or curled up in a ball ...
blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The croc above is only 16 feet long and 1900 lbs. It is only about 50 years old.

Check snopes.

www.snopes.com/katrina/photos/crocodile.asp

That's still 9' 8'' and 1,680 lbs bigger than me...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:21:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are about as rare as native Floridians
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are about as rare as native Floridians

ouch no shit,,

as for bears,, you are joking that there inst any right LOL...

you either dont get out much or live in a major city,,fla is full of them! enuff so that its an issue  on  major roads and highways in some areas !

eta: we also have yotes,, startin to show up more and more.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
21ft
4500 lbs

Impressive beast.

Good photos drjarhead and narative, interesting reading.

I do not suggest using pepper spray on Croc`s.  They probably just view it as seasoning.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
black bears run away from you

The vast majority of bear attacks in the U.S. are by black bears.

You guys just need the cute fluffiness and love of the Grizzly (Kodiak) bear, or Polar bear

Sometimes I love living in Canada, we have so many animals that can kill you.........    Makes hiking more exciting, especially as we are not allowed to carry handguns, or carry firearms at all in a Provincial or federal Park (As far as I know)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Sometimes I love living in Canada, we have so many animals that can kill you.........    Makes hiking more exciting, especially as we are not allowed to carry handguns, or carry firearms at all in a Provincial or federal Park (As far as I know)

Thats the spirit. Hence my facination  with damgerous game. You havent lived until you have been toe to toe with another creature that wants to kill you and has the means to do so. Whether man or beast thats the point you know your alive.

I think Capstick explains it best.

....And no, your wives dont count!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
elk attack

I.......I......I  can't breath!!!!!!!!!  OMFG!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Thanks.  I needed that!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
elk attack

I.......I......I  can't breath!!!!!!!!!  OMFG!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Thanks.  I needed that!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top