Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/30/2006 5:01:12 PM EDT

Cancer in its Midst
By M. Zuhdi Jasser, Washington Times
March 30, 2006

During the dark days of our Revolution, Thomas Paine wrote, "That these are the times, that try men's souls." As an American Muslim, I feel the sentiment of these words like a red-hot brand on my brain.

I have watched horrified as assassins have read out the words from my Holy Koran before slitting the throats of some poor innocent souls. To my non-comprehending eyes, I have seen mothers proudly support their sons' accomplishment of blowing up innocent people as they eat or travel. It shatters some part of me, to see my faith as an instrument for butchery.

It makes me hope and pray for some counter-movement within my faith which will push back all this darkness. And I know that it must start with what is most basic -- the common truth that binds all religions: "Do unto others, as you would have them do onto you." The Golden Rule.

But that is not what I am seeing taught in a great deal of the Muslim world today, and, unfortunately, in America it's just not much better.

Night after night, I see Muslim national organizations like the Council for American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR, cry out over and over about anecdotal victimization while saying and doing absolutely nothing about the most vile hate-speak and actions toward Jews and Christians in the Muslim world. It is the most self-serving of outrage.

The question I ask myself in the darkness of my own night is, "How did my beautiful faith become so linked with such ugliness." To me, the answer is both deep and simple. A spiritual path must be only about the spiritual while a worldly path must be about this world. When the two get mixed together, it brings out the very worst in both.

Much of what passes today for religious thought and action is actually political. When I hear a sermon in a mosque about the horrors of Israeli occupation, I know that the political arena has taken over the spiritual one. When I see the actions of suicide bombers praised or excused by religious leaders, I know that this politicization is complete. But the current Muslim leadership in groups like CAIR and others want only to talk of victimization. So, it is now high time for a new movement by Muslims in America and the West.

We in the Muslim community need to develop a new paradigm for our organizations and think tanks which holds Muslims publicly accountable for the separation of the political from the spiritual. Gone should be the day where individuals and their organizations can hide behind the cloak of victimization as a smoke screen for what they really believe.

I do believe that religions have cycles that they go through. Christianity was once a highly intolerant faith. Jews were labeled as "Christ killers" and the colored peoples of the Third World were people whose native faith was like ragged clothes to be torn off their bodies.

Thank God those days are over. Now my faith community must do the same. It should be the true test of a Muslim, not so much how he treats a fellow Muslim but how he treats someone of another faith.

Time is not on our side and the volatile radical minority of Muslims could strike again at any time. But, while true change among Muslims may take generations, our history teaches us that once we start the ideological battle, nothing can counter the power of freedom, pluralism and the desire for human rights.

There are some small signs that my community is finally beginning to wake up to the cancer in its midst. We are learning something that was the central lesson of World War II -- that once aroused, evil never stays self-contained.

For many in my faith, it was all right to blow up innocent Israelis as they sat in their cafes and pizza parlors. Through some tortured act of logic, these suicide bombings were seen as some sort of legitimate religion-sanctioned acts. (All the while, notice how few Muslim organizations like CAIR will denounce Hamas by name). But, as evil always does, it migrates, and soon radical Muslims were blowing up little children in Russia , commuters in Spain and worshippers in one of Iraq 's holiest mosques.

Maybe our first true wake-up call was Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's homicide attack on the wedding party in Jordan . Because now, the evil unleashed on the occupying Jews had landed on the doorstep of Muslims as they partook in a joyous wedding day.

That is the lesson that we in the Muslim community are now learning. Do evil to anyone and eventually it will boomerang on you. Perhaps, that's a good place to start. Let the barometer of our faith be how we treat our Jewish friends, because in the end, that is how we will eventually treat ourselves.

M. Zuhdi Jasser is chairman of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy. A former Navy lieutenant commander, he currently is an internist in private practice in Phoenix, AZ.

Link to story

I often hear posters say they want to hear Muslims speak out against terrorism.
What say you AR15.com?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:03:07 PM EDT
IBTFS

In Before The Firestorm

FWIW I do not think that ALL Muslims want us dead.

Only the observant ones. (no joke - read Imperial Hubris, the man (Michael Scheuer) knows his stuff...)
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:03:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
It makes me hope and pray for some counter-movement within my faith which will push back all this darkness.

He'll wait for someone else to start the movement? How concerned is he?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:05:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 5:07:02 PM EDT by Zaphod]

What say you AR15.com?

About fucking time.

What, maybe 4 down, a few billion to go?

Happy?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:10:40 PM EDT
I know a few Muslims, and they don't agree at all with what's going on.

Unfortunately, they are in the distinct minority...like 5%, IMO.

HH
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:11:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By racer934:

It makes me hope and pray for some counter-movement within my faith which will push back all this darkness.

He'll wait for someone else to start the movement? How concerned is he?

to start a movement in a worldwide religion that already has large financial backing of a more extremist sect requires:

1) alot of money/power/assistance
2) luck
3) or both 1) and 2)

The problem is that Wahhabi style Islam is backed by billions of Saudi dollars, and illiteracy is rampant in the Middle East and most of the non-Western world; those that fight back quickly end up like the Davidians at Waco: killed by their government.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:12:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

What say you AR15.com?

About fucking time.

What, maybe 4 down, a few billion to go?

Happy?

He sounds Jewish to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:13:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:
He sounds Jewish to me.

Who? Me or the author?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:15:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HoustonHusker:

HH

And some of my fellow Muslims wonder about the Hadiith that state that maybe 1/1000 Muslims will go to paradise directly, the rest will burn in hell for a time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:17:52 PM EDT

He sounds Jewish to me.

Who? Me or the author?

The author, you sound baptist.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:19:34 PM EDT
Excellent. Now he needs to go out and start that movement....and start convincing tens of millions of other muslims that his way is the right way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:19:55 PM EDT

He sounds Jewish to me.

Who? Me or the author?

The author certainly doesn't sound Jewish:

Because now, the evil unleashed on the occupying Jews had landed on the doorstep of Muslims as they partook in a joyous wedding day.

Sounds like he is only sad that those Muslims at the wedding in Jordan died.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:20:22 PM EDT

Nah! Nondenominational, but an equal-opportunity offender!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:21:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PreMed_Gunner:
And some of my fellow Muslims wonder about the Hadiith that state that maybe 1/1000 Muslims will go to paradise directly, the rest will burn in hell for a time.

Jeez. They're just as bad as the JW's then (at least in that regard).
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:38:44 PM EDT
The real answer to his question of "How did my beautiful faith become so linked with such ugliness." is that it never was beautiful and it was always linked to ugliness. It's an intolerant and brutal religion and it's fanatical adherents match it perfectly. He was living in a fantasy land and now he sees reality.

Moral of the story is that "Pretty dreams are nice and waking up from them hurts".
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:46:58 PM EDT
A good start.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:47:47 PM EDT
My take on the 'Muslim problem' is the vast numbers of uneducated masses Islam encompasses...

The radical clerics (not educated much more) recognize this, and soon have armies of cannon-fodder at their disposal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:48:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By capnrob97:
My take on the 'Muslim problem' is the vast numbers of uneducated masses Islam encompasses...

The radical clerics (not educated much more) recognize this, and soon have armies of cannon-fodder at their disposal.

An insightful post.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:21:35 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:24:49 PM EDT
Islam IS the cancer in our midst.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:25:48 PM EDT
I don't get it. Should the moslems that don't actively engage in jihad get a cookie or something? When do I get a cookie for not being a terrorist?

Don't get me wrong. Good on Msr. Jasser for his views, but an article in the Washington Times isn't likely to change any minds that need to be changed. Let's hear a whole helleva lot of Jassers speaking out in mosques around the world; then I might be impressed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:41:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HoustonHusker:

HH

I wonder about the other Hadiith that your fellow muslims are quoting. The ones that say i'm a dead man walking, to be precise.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:53:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tomislav:
I don't get it. Should the moslems that don't actively engage in jihad get a cookie or something? When do I get a cookie for not being a terrorist?

Don't get me wrong. Good on Msr. Jasser for his views, but an article in the Washington Times isn't likely to change any minds that need to be changed. Let's hear a whole helleva lot of Jassers speaking out in mosques around the world; then I might be impressed.

Nope, I don't think so at all.
I don't like rewarding people for doing what they are supposed to do in the first place.

Martin Luthor was just one voice when he nailed his 95 theses to the church door.
But it started a movement which changed the face of christianity.
I hold a simaler hope for Islam.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:05:41 PM EDT

I don't like rewarding people for doing what they are supposed to do in the first place.

Martin Luthor was just one voice when he nailed his 95 theses to the church door.

Seriously, dude I have a question for you:

Have you read the Koran and the set of Haddith that are viewed as authoratative by 99+% of ISLAM.

I have. Three different translations of the Koran, and two of the Haddith.

Its pretty bad shit.

And, here's the key: The Koran is understood in Ilsam to be the verbatim recitals of the deity. Its not a "prophet's" words to be reinterpreted with the ages. They believe its a direct quote when their god says "smite their necks."

Martin Luther had success because the aspects of religion he sought to change were capable of reformation.

So long as the Koran says what it says, anyone who ferverntly buys into it and becomes devout about the contents will be a threat to "infidels" and less radical muslims everywhere.

Its pretty hard for a muslim martin luther to put up a list of "demands" because his points will be refuted by contraindicated behavior right in the holy writ. Any ideas about what can be done about that?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:09:08 PM EDT
Just propaganda from a member of the ROP to attempt to sucker us into believing the problem is a few radicals and not the whole religion and its believers. What a crock
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:10:09 PM EDT

so, when will Mr. Jasser nail his opinions to the gates of Mecca?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:14:19 PM EDT
Those are fine words of wisdom written in that article.

It will be a shame to see Mr. M. Zuhdi Jasser's head chopped off because of them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:15:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BangStick1:
Those are fine words of wisdom written in that article.

It will be a shame to see Mr. M. Zuhdi Jasser's head chopped off because of them.

Islamin Goebbels
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:18:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shocktrp:
Islam IS the cancer in our midst.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:47:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By alaman:
Just propaganda from a member of the ROP to attempt to sucker us into believing the problem is a few radicals and not the whole religion and its believers. What a crock

It must be a hard life, living so paranoid.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:56:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308: I often hear posters say they want to hear Muslims speak out against terrorism. What say you AR15.com?
He should just convert to Christianity.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:06:16 PM EDT
Human nature perverts everything it touches, even those things Devine. The balance of Good vs Evil is always precarious.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:17:56 PM EDT
A blind squirel gets lucky once in a while 308, nice article, touching really.

Too bad his is a minority opionion/perspective. And as pointed out here, I'm sure that he would recieve a warm welcome from the Imams in Mecca or perhaps Tehran.

You didn't write that did you?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:25:46 PM EDT

He sounds Jewish to me.

Who? Me or the author?

The author certainly doesn't sound Jewish:

Because now, the evil unleashed on the occupying Jews had landed on the doorstep of Muslims as they partook in a joyous wedding day.

Sounds like he is only sad that those Muslims at the wedding in Jordan died.

I think he is simply using the words of those who are commiting the acts. Not unusual in this type of editorial. It is a little confusing, but if it were his opinion I think we would see more indications than just this one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:36:33 PM EDT
congratulations. you found one "jack" muslim. Chances are they'll be kicked out of the faith when the devouts find that posting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:37:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jj01:
A blind squirel gets lucky once in a while 308, nice article, touching really.

Too bad his is a minority opionion/perspective. And as pointed out here, I'm sure that he would recieve a warm welcome from the Imams in Mecca or perhaps Tehran.

You didn't write that did you?

Did I write that?
Hell no - I'm not a Muslim, and I will never be one.
There is only one true faith - Christianity.
Top Top