Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2006 12:05:33 PM EDT
Gulf of Sidra incident, 1989. Two Navy F-14s shootdown two Libyan MiG-23s. This is the audio from the comms. Very intense.

www.ka8vit.com/sd/SHOOTDN2.MP3
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
And Congress, Shot down the F-14's. No footage available.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they were Libyan SU-22s armed with R-60s.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think that was the 1981 incident. We shot down Libyans twice
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that was the 1986 incident. We shot down Libyans twice

Anybody up for 3rds?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody up for 3rds?

They gave up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody up for 3rds?

They gave up.

pussies
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, navy guys, isn't it problematic to use both starboard and right in the same comm? Or is there something I am missing?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey, navy guys, isn't it problematic to use both starboard and right in the same comm? Or is there something I am missing?

In my very limited aviation career so far, I've yet to hear someone say "turn to starboard" or whatnot. We just said left and right... there may be different convention at sea or whatever. I'd like to defer to someone who is more knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my very limited aviation career so far, I've yet to hear someone say "turn to starboard" or whatnot. We just said left and right... there may be different convention at sea or whatever. I'd like to defer to someone who is more knowledgeable.

In the aviation community I think right anfd left are the standard terms as opposed to their nautical counterparts.  I have yet to see anyone in the C-130 or P-3 communtiy say anything but right or left.

BTW sir, you gonna be around NAS Willow grove anytime?  Thinking a ride in a Bug wouold be fun
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know the story so could someone fill me in, why did they attack our planes?

Kick ass sound clip by the way
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In the aviation community I think right anfd left are the standard terms as opposed to their nautical counterparts.  I have yet to see anyone in the C-130 or P-3 communtiy say anything but right or left.

BTW sir, you gonna be around NAS Willow grove anytime?  Thinking a ride in a Bug wouold be fun

Nope, heading to NAS Lemoore unfortunately. If I get orders to NAS Oceana afterwards though, we'll see
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only ask because the recording uses both. I guess they are ARFcomers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't know the story so could someone fill me in, why did they attack our planes?

IIRC, Lybia claimed national waters extending out 200 miles, while the US only recognized the standard 12(?) miles.  We sent ships on maneuvers less than 200 miles but more than 12 miles out and they attacked us.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Nah, as long as everyone understands what you mean.

For instance, in the Surface Navy we use left and right as rudder orders and port and starboard as engine orders.

As long as everyone knows what you mean there isn't a problem.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#16]
What does it mean to "jink"?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Kick ass sound clip by the way

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Sidra_incident_%281989%29

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Imprecise course change. Just a term for manuver.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, heading to NAS Lemoore unfortunately. If I get orders to NAS Oceana afterwards though, we'll see

We do a lot of CAG moves to and from Lemoore out of North Island.  Probably see you around.  Kinda desolate there though.  The Hertz rental car girl is pretty hot though.  She partied with us when we broke there.  We ordered pizza and bought 5 cases and had a little gig right in the lobby at the Navy Lodge..  She has a hot Sea Bee roomate too.  Just a FYI..  maybe pertinant or not..
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For instance, in the Surface Navy we use left and right as rudder orders and port and starboard as engine orders.

I can relate. I use three forms of "awknowleged". Roger, Copy, and Aye are used to tell one of the three radios I am using that I got it. The last is used for the internal intercom traffic so he knows if I am talking to him or the tower or the cops.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Party 210, port observation, nose is cold, switches safe"

Heard that (with different callsigns) on a ton of occasions as fighters are ready to move back and get a drink.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I wasnt around in 81, and too young to remember it in 89, so I got kind of excited when I read the title thinking it happened recently lol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Geez, those libyan pilots made it clear they wanted a fight. The second kill sound like a close range missile shot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can relate. I use three forms of "awknowleged". Roger, Copy, and Aye are used to tell one of the three radios I am using that I got it. The last is used for the internal intercom traffic so he knows if I am talking to him or the tower or the cops.

Fire department we also use clear and understood.  I'm always one step away from screwing up an ATC comm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Geez, those libyan pilots made it clear they wanted a fight. The second kill sound like a close range missile shot.

It was, AIM-9 Sidewinder kill. The HUD footage is out there somewhere, you can watch it happen.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never heard the term "starboard" or "port" being applied to naval air operations.  It is always left or right.

GySgt D
Naval aviation guy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know where you're coming from. We had Bridge to Bridge radio on one side of the bridge and a secured circuit on the other side each with different protocol. Depending on who we were talking to there may be different protocol on the Bridge to Bridge. And depending on what circuit was patched in to the other radio there may be even different protocol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know where you're coming from. We had Bridge to Bridge radio on one side of the bridge and a secured circuit on the other side each with different protocol. Depending on who we were talking to there may be different protocol on the Bridge to Bridge. And depending on what circuit was patched in to the other radio there may be even different protocol.

Is the bridge to bridge is where you got to say "can ye smell it" and the secure was "10-4 good buddy"?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our system works really well if for no other reason than the same two people man it every day without exception. It prevents the cockpit from sounding like the take-off scene in "Airplane" the movie!

Also, the tower knows me quite well and forgive the occasional "copy" and the police dispatchers forgive the errant "Roger". The back seater though is "Wa?" "Huh?".
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody up for 3rds?

They gave up.

+1.

They blinked* first.

* synonyms: "said uncle," "tapped out," etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Download movie here
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hard, fast and random.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hard, fast and random.

That's sig line material there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for posting that.  Good stuff.

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#36]
"Jink" is the pilot codeword to start the secret "see-how-hard-you-can-smack-the-RIO's-head-against-the-canopy" contest.

Honest truth.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Shoot him!

I cant, I dont have a fucking tone!

Awesome.!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#38]
That must have been fricking awesome.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Jink = manuever to avoid enemy fire.

Usually port and starboard are used in the shipboard environment. Winds will be called in port and starboard. "Winds 10 to port at 30 knots". Aircraft will make calls in reference to the carrier. Take  port/ starboard delta patern. Request starboard turnout. Ship is in a starboard turn, etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Good shoot in my book, looks like the Floggers came out looking for a fight and got one.  Of course you navy guys have everything backwards in aviation, but I won't hold that against you.  Lockheed had some screwy ID system for tires and brakes too.  Now I under stand Fox means missle away, and I guess 1 is radar missle, 2 is IR.  Is that right?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Good shoot in my book, looks like the Floggers came out looking for a fight and got one.  Of course you navy guys have everything backwards in aviation, but I won't hold that against you.  Lockheed had some screwy ID system for tires and brakes too.  Now I under stand Fox means missle away, and I guess 1 is radar missle, 2 is IR.  Is that right?

FOX-1: AIM-7 Sparrow
FOX-2: AIM-9 Sidewinder
FOX-3: AIM-120 AMRAAM

Not sure what they used to say for Phoenix.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FOX-1: AIM-7 Sparrow
FOX-2: AIM-9 Sidewinder
FOX-3: AIM-120 AMRAAM

Not sure what they used to say for Phoenix.

Ok what about Mavericks, and I think aircraft can launch Harpoons.  Granted those two are air to gound missles.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Ok what about Mavericks, and I think aircraft can launch Harpoons.  Granted those two are air to gound missles.

Don't know about those ones. I know the AGM-88 HARM is Magnum.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#44]
tag for speakers
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Tag 4 home
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#46]
One of the F14s that scored a kill is in Midland, TX at the American Airpower Heritage museum.  It's sitting out back of the hangar.  Visited last May with a group of Porsche owners... they let us drive our cars back there, and we got some pictures in front of the planes.   There was the F-14, an F-111, and a British postwar bomber/recon plane (quad prop).

The F-14 had a kill stencilled on the fuselage below the canopy.  It was pretty neat to see.  I'll see if I can dig up the pictures I took... I got a few of that bird.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody up for 3rds?

They gave up.

+1 also shooting a rocket through the bedroom window of the Nations leader send s clear message.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Download movie here

won't play
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Download movie here

won't play

im downloading now...  at 99mb... it BETTER play!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Played for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top