Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2006 7:36:02 AM EDT
I'm kinda in the mindset that I only need one of each gun. I just don't understand the mentality of owning.... say several M4 carbines or several Glocks. I just want to own one of everything.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Backups to the primary.  Commonality of parts / mags / holsters.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's something mass produced, like a SIG/Glock/HK/Colt, then there's no point.

If it's something a little more rare, like custom 1911s with sequential serial numbers.....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]

i love it!

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I would say up to 4 or 5 for these purposes but 50 Glocks are a waste of resources.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with you TS,  if it is identical then why?  Variants,  I can see that too.  Needing to "collect them all".

However I have two AR15s,  one carbine and one 24" with a scope.  They are used for different things, so I don't consider that strange.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#7]
You mean like this.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You mean like this.

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/002382

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/002130

One can never have too many Garands
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a few G23's sprinkled around the house for defensive purposes.
That way either one I grab I won't have to waste time with figuring out different safeties, trigger pulls and what not.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#10]
With as many options/accessories there are for the AR platform I dont see the need of having 10 of exactly the same gun.  I have two AR's now (see pic) and plan on more, but I want them all to be different.

I do see the logic in having one identical back up gun, but that is not for me.

Aside from the front post these are different in every way possible.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean like this.

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/002382</a>

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/002130</a>

One can never have too many Garands

Garands YES! 1911's YES! M14's YES! Lever guns YES! Bolt rifles YES! Revolvers YES! Even AR's in different configerations YES!

But AK-47's?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Depends what kind of guns you are talking about. Regular modern guns...I see no purpose...

However things like old milsurps...well, I have over 20 Enfields, and everyone is distinct and different. Different makes, different production dates, different users, different markings, each one a story to tell.

Same with my 98k's....

Although, with AR's I could see owning multiples of different builds, but owning 5 AR's in the same configuration wouldn't hold any appeal...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You mean like this.

Yep. (Beautiful rifles BTW! )  Or like this:

But seriously, I believe at least one identical back-up of your primary CCW is a great idea (I'll stop short of saying it should be mandatory...) and a back-up of your BUG/pocket-gun (if you use one all the time) isn't a bad idea either IMHO.

Quoted:
If it's something mass produced, like a SIG/Glock/HK/Colt, then there's no point...

Quoted:
I agree with you TS,  if it is identical then why?...

Quoted:
Depends what kind of guns you are talking about. Regular modern guns...I see no purpose...

I'll have to respectfully disagree with y'all.  Have you never had to send/take your primary CCW somewhere for service?  ... for custom work?  It's good to have more than one when those situations arise.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You mean like this.

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/002382

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/002130

EXACTLY!! You need therapy!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I am about to get a duplicate of my long time carry gun, the GLOCK 19. I really think everyone should have two of their primary carry gun. I have never really had any interest in owning 15 different types of pistols just for the sake of having them. I am almost done switching all of my defensive handguns to ones that all operate in the same basic way. A GLOCK 34, 2-GLOCK 19s, Kahr PM9, Kel-Tec P-32, all point and shoot pistols with no safety levers, grip safeties, or other gizmos. I have no interest in adding any DA/SA or cocked and locked guns to my arsenal.

I know some guys who will carry a GLOCK, a 1911, a S&W 642, and a Beretta all in the same week. I don't understand this thinking at all.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say up to 4 or 5 for these purposes but 50 Glocks are a waste of resources.

+1

Also, I have the same firearm in different calibers for purposes of developing the same muscle memory/training skills.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm kinda in the mindset that I only need one of each gun. I just don't understand the mentality of owning.... say several M4 carbines or several Glocks. I just want to own one of everything.

Owning multiples of a weapon is a good idea if you use said weapon for competition or for serious bacon saving work.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#18]
My thoughts? Because we can!

I don't have any direct duplicates but ... why not? If you like something and have the means to get it, go for it.

I walked into a fun store a few months ago and they had dozens of ARs all lined up for sale on racks in a couple of configurations (A2, flattop, carbines...) and all I could think was "how awesome would that be in my basement!???"  

I'm not even that huge a fan of the AR platform and I would love 10 of them!

Edit: I'm convinced the "Rule of twos" is a good idea. Sometimes "rule of threes" if you're really enamored of something!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean like this.

I think he may mean like this:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20ARs/ARs-themainstream-small.jpg i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20ARs/ARs-theoddballs-small.jpg

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Rifles/AKs-half.jpg i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Shotguns/Shotguns870s-half.jpg

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Handguns/PISTOLS-fromright-quarter.jpg

But seriously, I believe at least one identical back-up of your primary CCW is a great idea (I'll stop short of saying it should be mandatory...) and a back-up of your BUG/pocket-gun (if you use one all the time) isn't a bad idea either IMHO.

Quoted:
If it's something mass produced, like a SIG/Glock/HK/Colt, then there's no point...

Quoted:
I agree with you TS,  if it is identical then why?...

Quoted:

I'll have to respectfully disagree with y'all.  Have you never had to send/take your primary CCW somewhere for service?  ... for custom work?  It's good to have more than one when those situations arise.

That was not nice.....

Oh and I'll be happy to take that Dissy off of your hands...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#20]
If you are a John Woo fan, you must have at least two of identical Beretta's or 1911's. And must know how to shoot them both at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah......I totally see having spares of a gun that is used for a tool. What I don't get is someone that wants to own like 10 FN FALs that are all the same config. I know a guy that owns about 30 Belguim made semi FALs. He has maybe 8 that are EXACTLY the same and others where he has 3 or 4 EXACTLY the same.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless it's 50 G18's! Then and only then is it fun.

ETA: The only duplicates I have are 91/30, but as specified earlier, they're both in different conditions. I'd love to have several identical ar15's though, to give to people that want to go to the range with me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I don't understand some of the AK guys having 10 WASRs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#24]
What if I want to arm my own squad, or platoon?  Common waepons has many advantages!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah......I totally see having spares of a gun that is used for a tool. What I don't get is someone that wants to own like 10 FN FALs that are all the same config. I know a guy that owns about 30 Belguim made semi FALs. He has maybe 8 that are EXACTLY the same and others where he has 3 or 4 EXACTLY the same.

Well, if they are real Belgian made FALS....Investment!

Those are worth some bucks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Two is one. One is none.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What if I want to arm my own squad, or platoon?  Common waepons has many advantages!

Agreed! But what are the odds of you needing to do that? And are you willing to invest your disposable gun income into owning 12 of one weapon just to cover you in case you need to arm a squad? If you ever needed to arm a squad, you'll be sitting pretty that's for sure. But my bet is you could live for 500 years and never need to privately arm a squad.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#28]
DAAAAMN! i'm envious of your collections

right now i can't even afford multiple weapons in the same category.  right now i have my AR to fill in the "shoot through school assault rifle" role, so i don't want an ak, AUG, or any other similar purpose gun at the momment.  I have a full size handgun (M9) a small handgun (kel tec p3at) and a shotgun (moss 590).  Next up is the pistol cal carbine which i hope to get this weekend (kel tec sub 2000) and then the long range gun (m1a).  after that....?  a bolt gun?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I never got that idea either.  My primary carry piece is a Sig 220.  If that is unavailable for some reason (I don't know how that would occur), I use my Sig 226 as a backup.  They use the same holsters, function the exact same way, and are the same size.  The only difference is the shape of the grip and the caliber, neither is a big deal to me.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Its always good to have a spare that you're familiar with off-site.
For example, you get in a self defense shooting, the cops confiscate all of your firearms as evidence and then take their sweet time to return them even if the grand jury no-bill's your case. Its a whole lot easier to go to the bank and grab your spare Glock out of your safe deposit box than to scrounge the money to buy another on the spot (plus any applicable waiting periods or other hassles).

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Investing in guns is not a wise investment. If I wanted to invest and make money, there are other ways that are less risky and will provide a higher return.  Actually the price of real FALs has taken a huge dip recently with all the parts-gun FALs being built. I saw a standard model mint Belguim FAL sell recently for $2000. That was retail price on one 20 years ago before the remaining inventory was dumped at around $700 in the late 80's.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

^^^^ Yup^^^^
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Can not go wrong with 2 of everything.

Having 50 Glocks is just plain sick imo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Its always good to have a spare that you're familiar with off-site.
For example, you get in a self defense shooting, the cops confiscate all of your firearms as evidence and then take their sweet time to return them even if the grand jury no-bill's your case. Its a whole lot easier to go to the bank and grab your spare Glock out of your safe deposit box than to scrounge the money to buy another on the spot (plus any applicable waiting periods or other hassles).

Kharn

Can they take all your guns?  I can see them taking the firearm in question until that situation is finalized, but why take all.  I got some I aint telling them about.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Investing in guns is not a wise investment. If I wanted to invest and make money, there are other ways that are less risky and will provide a higher return.  Actually the price of real FALs has taken a huge dip recently with all the parts-gun FALs being built. I saw a standard model mint Belguim FAL sell recently for $2000. That was retail price on one 20 years ago before the remaining inventory was dumped at around $700 in the late 80's.

NFA machine guns are an excellent investment. I know of no other good that has risen in value so rapidly and consistantly in the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I only like to own the same gun if it's a variation of the other gun for collecting

especially for older curio & relic military guns
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah to be honest all I really need these days is a good pocket pistol and a good primary pistol and a good long arm of some type. Of course I have other weapons for collection or just for fun purposes. Two Beretta 92’s would be a hell of a lot of fun. One might actually be good for self defense, but the second is just there for fun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NFA machine guns are an excellent investment. I know of no other good that has risen in value so rapidly and consistantly in the last 20 years.

True! I believe the rate of return for NFA weapons was about 18% per year on average and it's recently dropped to around 10%. But I was talking about non-NFA guns and specifically semi-auto FALs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#39]
At $79 per, I have four K-31s. Probably the highest quality firearm available for less than $300.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#40]
IMHO, it's a good idea to have an identical backup to your primary self-defense weapons. Having even more identical guns might be good if your plan includes stashing them all over the place so you can grab the nearest one if the need arises. Other then that, having lots of identical guns seems kinda odd. Like that guy that posted and claimed to have 36 Glocks. Why? Glock only has 20 models, IIRC. Spend the money on practice, or at least a little variety.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1
If these are tools, it is a good idea to have multiples of your pistol/rifle combo.
Standardize on a platform for SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Owning multiples of a weapon is a good idea if you use said weapon for competition or for serious bacon saving work.

I know a few autos in my area that need unpimping. When can you send your man down?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Of the EXACT same model?

Do you mean the same gun, like multiple AR-15s, or more specifically multiple AR-15s of the same model?

I don't know about you, but owning exact same models of the same firearm is pretty damn boring to me. If I were to get multiple ARs, I'd have a SBR, 20in govt profile, Dissipator, ect... Each one utilizing a different upper.

This = fun and diverse!

This = booooring!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I'm... I'm... in love...

with your guns, that is.

I'd post the rest, but you might have a "white-out."
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Unless it's a low-capacity handgun where carrying 2 makes sense to some (ala 1911 or revolver), or a unique non-interchangable configuration, I generally wouldn't...

Eg 1 M16, 1 M4 (upper halves don't count)... Sidefold AK with wood VFG, regular AK....

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#47]
I won't buy two of the same gun until I have one of everything.  I'll never understand the people that have 8 ARs, but no AK, FAL, shotgun, levergun, bolt gun, revolver, etc, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:27:48 AM EDT
[#48]
I now own two SPAS-12 shotguns.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#49]
If you have two of something, one is a backup.

If you have three or more of something, you are a collector.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#50]
I have the world's largest collection of these

If the demtards take over the house I'm thinking of ordering a couple more

"One is none"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top