Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 3:14:47 AM EDT
My Daughters best friends boyfriend joined the Marines 6 or 8 months ago.  He went to basic, then came back into town afterwards for a few weeks.

He went away again, I don't know where, then was back in town again a few weeks later.

By this time my Wife and I were scratching our heads as to how he could possibly have so much "time off".

Our Son is in the Army and things just don't work that way so we were thinking mabey the Marines have a different structure.

We continually would ask if Mr. Marine were still in town, each time receiving an affirmative.  Of course at this point I'm thinking AWOL.

Sure enough, Local Cops called him into the station to do some "paperwork for the Millitary", and slapped the cuffs on him.

My question is, in our current PC Millitary, what does this Wanker face for charges and and prison time?

I've been soaking my right hand in bleach for the last 24 hours, as I shook this little slimeballs hand, congratulated him, and wished him best of luck prior to his boot camp departure.  I feel dirty.

Freakin' limp wristed coward.  Hopefully he'll know what Leavenworth food tastes like.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I met a guy that went AWOL from (Army) AIT in Fall '05, he just walked away from the barracks and hopped on a bus back home to deal with his wife (who was going seriously bonkers at home, the dude was ~32, oldest in his training company).  He showed up again a few weeks later, they recycled him into a later class and allowed him to continue with his training, but I bet he wasnt an E3 or E4 after graduation.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My Daughters best friends boyfriend joined the Marines 6 or 8 months ago.  He went to basic, then came back into town afterwards for a few weeks.

He went away again, I don't know where, then was back in town again a few weeks later.

By this time my Wife and I were scratching our heads as to how he could possibly have so much "time off".

Our Son is in the Army and things just don't work that way so we were thinking mabey the Marines have a different structure.

We continually would ask if Mr. Marine were still in town, each time receiving an affirmative.  Of course at this point I'm thinking AWOL.

Sure enough, Local Cops called him into the station to do some "paperwork for the Millitary", and slapped the cuffs on him.

My question is, in our current PC Millitary, what does this Wanker face for charges and and prison time?

I've been soaking my right hand in bleach for the last 24 hours, as I shook this little slimeballs hand, congratulated him, and wished him best of luck prior to his boot camp departure.  I feel dirty.

Freakin' limp wristed coward.  Hopefully he'll know what Leavenworth food tastes like.

he obviously signed up for something he wasnt ready for. our military prides itself on being an all volunteer force, and if someone doesnt want to be there, it really fucks it up for every one.

if you signed up, and its not for you, there should be a way out. period.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

he obviously signed up for something he wasnt ready for. our military prides itself on being an all volunteer force, and if someone doesnt want to be there, it really fucks it up for every one.

if there was an easy way out- there would be nobody there past the first week...you know EVERYBODY second guesses themselves about then.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a way out... an Entry Level Seperation.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if there was an easy way out- there would be nobody there past the first week...you know EVERYBODY second guesses themselves about then.

well yeah, not a when ever you want, type thing, but maybe after the first 6 months?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:11:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

sound lkie that is what this guy should have done.....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If they keep him, he'll get Non-Judicial Punishment (Army calls it 'Article 15', I don't know what the Marine term is).... Extra duty, reduction to E-1, and a fine of 1/2 months pay for 2 months - possibly a short period (under 45 days) of confinement (don't know the USMC regs, I think they can do this with NJP)....

If not, he's out on failure to adapt or serious misconduct - at worst he gets a General Discharge, Other than Honorable Circumstances...

AWOL is a corurt-martialable offense, but for new soldiers the military generally takes the idea that it's either (a) a fixable problem, in which case they give them NJP and hope they learn, or (b) a perminant fault, in which case they just throw 'em out of the service OTH...

A negative discharge (OTH is the worst you can get without a CM) is far easier than a Special or General court martial....

Prison time - not just jail but prison - is only available thru court martial....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sound lkie that is what this guy should have done.....

ELS is not the soldier's option, it's the company commander's... Soldiers can request it, but the CO decides weather or not to proceed.

Army calls it 'Chaper 11 - Failure to Adapt', and it results in an uncharacterized discharge (which means there's no Hornorable, General, or other classification, he's just out.)

Said discharge is available in the first 180 days of enlistment.

Now that he's gone AWOL, he may well get one if they don't want to do the board for Serious Misconduct/ OTH,,, That first time might have been PCS leave after whatever the USMC calls AIT, but #2 is not so explainable...

I have seen all kinds of folks go AWOL while I was in AIT - most of them were idiots who were too goddamn immature to be in the service - most of them came back after they realized what they had done... Some were kicked out under various chapters & discharges, some came back realizing they wanted to stay in & got Article 15s...

One went to jail - he had gone AWOL about 4 separate times, was awaiting separation from the Army, and went AWOL again... They didn't toss him in the brig (Ft Eustis sends their fuckups to the Navy brig at Norfolk) for AWOL though - the dumbfuck got BUSTED FOR POT while AWOL (UCMJ still applies while AWOL - so the Army could get him for posession) and PISSED HOT when the cops brought him back... Our BC, like most army brass, had no tolerance for potheads & off to jail AWOL-boy went....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Dave,
When were you at Eustis? We had a guy there that fits that description. He also stole and burned someones car, stayed drunk and various other outrageous things.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, the latest is the he will be charged with desertion rather than AWOL.  He "deserted" from AIT.  Although I don't know the exact timeframe, it seem he made is successfully through Basic, came home prior to AIT, departed for AIT and within a couple of weeks or so experinced the limp dick syndrome known as desertion.

Frigin retard.  Please, someone, tell me he'll end up swabbing some dudes corn hole for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they keep him, he'll get Non-Judicial Punishment (Army calls it 'Article 15', I don't know what the Marine term is).... Extra duty, reduction to E-1, and a fine of 1/2 months pay for 2 months - possibly a short period (under 45 days) of confinement (don't know the USMC regs, I think they can do this with NJP)....

If not, he's out on failure to adapt or serious misconduct - at worst he gets a General Discharge, Other than Honorable Circumstances...

AWOL is a corurt-martialable offense, but for new soldiers the military generally takes the idea that it's either (a) a fixable problem, in which case they give them NJP and hope they learn, or (b) a perminant fault, in which case they just throw 'em out of the service OTH...

A negative discharge (OTH is the worst you can get without a CM) is far easier than a Special or General court martial....

Prison time - not just jail but prison - is only available thru court martial....

IIRC, I think the Navy (and the Marines?) call their NJP "Captain's Mast"

If this was the Army, and he got orders for a unit that wasn't about to mobilize, 99% chance of a discharge for failure to adapt, and RE code 4+ on his seperation to keep him from ever reenlisting.  Marines don't promote as fast as the Army does...so I doubt this kid any rank to take away after 8 months or so.

If it was becuase he was assigned to a unit and he popped smoke because they got mob orders, he can be immediately charged with desertion.  Also, once you are AWOL for a certain amount of time (typically 30 days or so) even if the unit isn't about to deploy, you are automatically reclassified from "AWOL" to "Deserter".  That's a whole 'nother ball of wax.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]
    40 years ago AWOL's got 6 & 6. Six months in the stockade and six months added to their time.  
Hard to believe but that stockade always seemed to be full.  First day of basic the drill sgt.s marched us out to the stockade to give us a good look.  Scariest place I ever saw. Nobody in our co. ever wound up there.  I guess other drill sgt.s did not do that.  Never could figure out why anybody would take a chance on winding up in there.  Do they still have stockades?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
we call it NJP, captains mast is used to denote something a little different. for us we dont want it mixed up with "request mast"

most times its just easier for the command to adminstratively seperate them. if the only crime the committed was going UA its just better for everyone to get rid of the kid, and fucking up the rest of his life with a conviction and a "big chicken dinner" is not really justified.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, if you look at the economics of the situation, would you rather send the guy to jail or prison, or just discharge him? The money we are going to spend to put this guy behind bars, would be better spent on training, ammo, or other gear that our guys need. Just slap douchebag on his jacket cover and send him back to the block...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
AWOL is reserved for very specific circumstances, deserting combat duty, etc.

Sounds like he's facing what they'd have called in the Navy when I was in UA, unauthorized absence, charges.

Which basically means he wasn't where he was supposed to be.

There's a lot of latitude in the severity of the punishment, depending on circumstances, for a UA situation. If he was UA for months he'll probably see some time in the brig, probably less than a month, and then get a discharge, the type of discharge also varies quite a bit depending on circumstances.

I knew several guys like this when I was in, happened all the time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#17]
THe USMC doesn't call it AWOL, it's called UA Unautorized Absence. It is for being gon less than 30 days.

Desertion is a charge if the person is UA for more than 30 days.

If he has been charged with desertion, he will most likely go to NJP, be reduded 1 pay grade, 45 days confinment/ extra military duties. 1/2 pay for 2 months. He could also be sentenced to Correctional Custody, but he cannot be given CCU in addition to the above punishments.

Or they could go ahead and give him a Court Marshall, and give him a BCD. All depends on what his CO decides.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
At most he will get 6, 6, and a kick, which is six months confinement without pay and a Bad Conduct Discharge.  Could get as little as a suspended reduction in rank for six months, and 30-45 days of extra duty.  It all depends on the CO.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#19]
In the Army, we had a guy go Awol.

He turned himself into me 8 days later.

He bought himself 30 days in the Marine prison in Yuma. Daily smokings, PT, bad food, no TV, No fun, Details all day long.

I did not know it at the time but before he went to jail they tried to Ditch him. He begged and pleaded and practically Sucked the COs dick to stay in. I think He agreed to soo much time to stay in. He also lost his MOS and got reclasses into a DEPLOY TO IRAQ ASAP MOS. Not worth 8 days of partying and pussy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#20]
when i hit the reserve side we dealt with it toally different. once as the OOD on drill weekend i had to call all the UA people. you know who the the real UAs are. theres a difference between the guy whos been missing for 5 drills and a normally solid kid who probably overslept. anyway, I was directed to inform the UA Marine, spouse, parent whomever i reached that we didnt care about their deadbeat anymore. we just wanted the gear back. we were one of the first commands to get MOLLE 2 and coyote interceptors and the CO wanted that crap returned in the worst way. he sent the myself, and the Gysgt of the MP platoon out in the funeral detail van to collect gear. we made 8 housecalls and got 3 issues of gear back. most of them got "Ad-sep'd" in absentia, and one actually came back and made nice-nice with the unit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top