Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I received a similar email:

Richard,

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) is conducting an
investigation into theft and sale of government property. It seems you may
have purchased my Navy issued buttplug from Robert Campi back in 2005 and paid through
PayPal. I am interested in talking to you about the transaction and was
wondering if you would be willing to talk to me.  At this point, I am
simply interested in gathering more details on the transaction and gaining
confirmation that you received my buttplug. Please email me back at this
address or feel free to call me with any questions. Thank you.

Christiana B. Pooper, Special Agent, NCIS
XXXX XXXXX St.
XXXXXX, XXXXX
XXXXXXX, XX XXXXX
(XXX) XXX-XXXX

I swear I bought it as a gift.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, this dude must have carted away tractor trailer loads of government issued supplies. Geez.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AILapua:

Please remove the Special Agent's personal contact info.

Thanks.

Justin

WHY???????
Are they better than anyone else?  Pretty sure its public info anyhow!

Not "better"--or worse.  We simply don't allow it and don't take chances--

Conduct Code

5.) Posting of someone else's personal contact information (home phone numbers, home addresses, unpublished e-mail addresses, and the like).

So how does this rule apply in any way to the SA's work information. This info could be useful to someone who may have also purchased something from this guy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So what was this guys screen name? I have bought a ton of stuff from the EE but never remember personal names.

I can't remember what name this guy goes by. It's been a little over a year since I bought the laser.

That's the right tack!  Keep repeating this phrase...."I can't recall......I can't recall."

The boys is black will be coming for you soon.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why do people continue to post the NCIS Agents information on an open forum?

Just curious?

Why do folks think they should not be posted when the S/A himself had no problem giving it out to strangers on the Internet via e-mail in the first place... NEWS FLASH - The best person to decide if the name of a S/A should be witheld is the S/A themself. If they do not want it public, I think they are clever enough to setup an alias. If S. Larsen at Citibank can figure this out, I think NCIS can too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't but now others can find the info.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would seriously doubt they would use email to contact you. I had DOD come to my door to ask about an Interceptor I bought off eBay. They called first, and I would guess that is the protocol

Yeah, but this isn't an interceptor and this guy sold a bunch of these things. There are probably going to be quite a few more people getting these emails. I honestly don't think that they want it back, they are just trying to build up their case against this guy.

Michael

And why wouldn't they want physical evidence to use in building their case?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Googled his user name and found an intersting post on the Tactical Forums. Looks like he and he also uses the word WE, did some tradeing of some type of items with Botac a while back. wonder who WE is?

nikzoe
FNG
Member # 2977

Rate Member   posted 10-24-2004 18:22                        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have had no problems from Botac. I have placed several orders from them over the years and everything came when it was supposed to. The owner BK even did a really good deal for us when we had some extras of things we didn't need and no money for some things we did need.

Can't speak forLightfighter as I haven't used the.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Rifle Laser?   What Rifle Laser?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
two words....

"boating accident"

not sure how exactly it came loose from the harpoon gun I had attached it to, but it sunk like a rock

EPOCH

Nah, I'll give it back if they really want it. I'd rather keep it though.

Hey Ponyboy, I was just looking at the pics you posted of the laser and those numbers look similar to arms room numbers, only thing is that I've never seen them etched in with an engraver before. Hope you get to keep it but if ends up going back to the USMC rest assured it will be put to good use killing haji's

ETA: I just saw the username of who you dealt with, guess I better prepare myself for an email as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:33:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:36:01 AM EDT
[#16]
"Boating accident".....if there was not one, they will take it back and you are out of your money and laser.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#17]
The Navy USES Lazer Devices MR2s???

okey doaky.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Navy USES Lazer Devices MR2s???

okey doaky.

NCIS investigates both Navy and USMC crimes, IIRC.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:11:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Naval phishing trip.  Thier trolling with lures, next they'll be using a net, and they won't catch and release.

They should keep better track of thier inventory.

Right now you own something that you paid for.  Respond to that phishing email and you'll be in posession of some kind of property...

Beware.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Lawyer up.

Big time. This is the Feds, we're talkin' here.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
So what was this guys screen name? I have bought a ton of stuff from the EE but never remember personal names.

I can't remember what name this guy goes by. It's been a little over a year since I bought the laser.

That's the right tack!  Keep repeating this phrase...."I can't recall......I can't recall."

The boys is black will be coming for you soon.

How do you know they're African-American?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Dammit, look at the email I just got...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hedonist,

have purchased a Grumman F-14 Tomcat from Robert Campi back in February
2006 and paid through PayPal. I am interested in talking to you about the
transaction and was wondering if you would be willing to talk to us. At this point,
we are simply interested in gathering more details on the transaction and gaining
confirmation that you received the item. Please email me back at this

personal info removed

SHIT!!

I was told they decomissioned these planes and they were headed to the boneyard.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:23:51 AM EDT
[#23]
A similar situation happened to me a few years ago where I purchased some 20-round mags off ARFCOM that were apparently stolen as well. They also used Paypal to track down the buyers of the stolen merchandise. I ended up forwarding all of my e-mail conversations to them. They were hoping to recover the magazines to try to  lift fingerprints off of them but since I had thrown them all in my mag box, they were all mixed in with my old mags and so there was no way to tell which were the magazines that I had purchased from this guy. I found that being honest with them was the easiest way to resolve the situation.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:31:50 AM EDT
[#24]
FWIW, I have also received the email in question.  It is not a fake.  I have spoken with the SA regarding this situation.  The suspect has apparently been doing this for a long time as the SA mentioned an item that one person still had in the packaging 3 years after he purchased it.

As far as the laws go:
You cannot be charged with receiving stolen property as the items were purchased in good faith (unless you asked him if it was stolen and he said "yes" and you continued with the transaction any way)
You have no right to the property, as the suspect had no right to sell it to you
The NCIS can demand the property be returned

The SA (while admitting it wasn't her decision) said she is working to make it where we can keep the items
The SA (again, not her decision) stated that if the items had to be surrendered, they may try to get compensation for those of us who have to relinquish the items
The SA is trying to build a case, they are preparing to file charges, and they are looking for verification that sales actually occurred (i.e. you paid, and received) so that they have more charges.  They are looking for people willing to provide depositions.
If you have saved emails or any other correspondence, they would appreciate it (assuming you are willing to assist in putting this little shit behind bars).
Staff at AR15.com was notified on Tuesday after I received the email and I have been updating one of them.

On a personal note, I can't abide a thief.  And to make it doubly annoying, this means that I paid for the item twice, once directly, and once with taxes.

If anyone who received the email has any questions, please feel free to email me at pi68 AT bellsouth DOT net.

Woody
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#26]
NCIS, CID & OSI don't generally prosecute civillians for PSP... They do not have civillian jurisdiction - only UCMJ...

They do show up and retrieve the 'evidence' without reimbursing you...

Same thing happened to a guy who bought a stolen IBA vest & plates off EBAY... He got a visit from CID, who confiscated his vest as evidence....

So you're out a laser, and some Marine or Sailor is going to jail in the near future...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Ask if they will send Catherine Bell (hot chick from JAG) to do your interview. Squeeze those big ol boobies once for me.........Treeman
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
FWIW, I have also received the email in question.  It is not a fake.  I have spoken with the SA regarding this situation.  The suspect has apparently been doing this for a long time as the SA mentioned an item that one person still had in the packaging 3 years after he purchased it.

As far as the laws go:
You cannot be charged with receiving stolen property as the items were purchased in good faith (unless you asked him if it was stolen and he said "yes" and you continued with the transaction any way)
You have no right to the property, as the suspect had no right to sell it to you
The NCIS can demand the property be returned

The SA (while admitting it wasn't her decision) said she is working to make it where we can keep the items
The SA (again, not her decision) stated that if the items had to be surrendered, they may try to get compensation for those of us who have to relinquish the items
The SA is trying to build a case, they are preparing to file charges, and they are looking for verification that sales actually occurred (i.e. you paid, and received) so that they have more charges.  They are looking for people willing to provide depositions.
If you have saved emails or any other correspondence, they would appreciate it (assuming you are willing to assist in putting this little shit behind bars).
Staff at AR15.com was notified on Tuesday after I received the email and I have been updating one of them.

On a personal note, I can't abide a thief.  And to make it doubly annoying, this means that I paid for the item twice, once directly, and once with taxes.

If anyone who received the email has any questions, please feel free to email me at pi68 AT bellsouth DOT net.

Woody

Sounds like you got an agent who's willing to work with you...

Others have not been so fortunate...

Look at it this way - you have a chance to put a crook behind bars who is taking items your taxes bought for the defense of our country & using them for personal gain... If anyone involved in this is thinking about having a 'boating accident' then perhaps you should think of some Marine over in the ME being told he won't get a rifle laser because supply ran out, and the laser he might have had is on your desk....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:52:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Be careful, this MAY be a scam. Years ago (when I was 19) I got a phone call from a guy who implied that he was an FBI agent. He said that they were investigating the illegal use of a Govt' Calling Card # (this was the '80s) and that someone from my phone (I lived in a house with 5 other guys) had used the #. He implied a lot of crap about how "you are not the primary suspect of this investigation but your willingness to cooperate will determine your exposure to prosecution...". I called my Dad (Father really did know best) and he told me to call the nearest FBI office listed in the blue pages of the phone book, which I did. I told the story to the FBI and the person seemed rather amused. He told me that any "official" query would be in person or by mail and NOT over the phone. He took a report told me that if this guy called again to ask for a name and return phone # and then call the local guy back to see if this was part of a REAL investigation but not to give out any personal or financial info over the phone. I never did receive another call so case closed. I still have no idea who the caller was or what he was trying to get.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Be careful, this MAY be a scam. Years ago (when I was 19) I got a phone call from a guy who implied that he was an FBI agent. He said that they were investigating the illegal use of a Govt' Calling Card # (this was the '80s) and that someone from my phone (I lived in a house with 5 other guys) had used the #. He implied a lot of crap about how "you are not the primary suspect of this investigation but your willingness to cooperate will determine your exposure to prosecution...". I called my Dad (Father really did know best) and he told me to call the nearest FBI office listed in the blue pages of the phone book, which I did. I told the story to the FBI and the person seemed rather amused. He told me that any "official" query would be in person or by mail and NOT over the phone. He took a report told me that if this guy called again to ask for a name and return phone # and then call the local guy back to see if this was part of a REAL investigation but not to give out any personal or financial info over the phone. I never did receive another call so case closed. I still have no idea who the caller was or what he was trying to get.

Well, the return address on the email was [email protected], which is the same as on the NCIS page....  I did do a little background before just blindly stumbling into this...  And ARFCOM staff has been notified...  covering all the bases, so to speak

Woody
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#31]
you'll be safe as long as you don't have a purty mouth
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I think we finally found that guy's brother.

Richard,

have purchased my Navy issued Goulami from Robert Campi back in 2005 and paid through
PayPal. I am interested in talking to you about the transaction and was
wondering if you would be willing to talk to me. At this point, I am
simply interested in gathering more details on the transaction and gaining
confirmation that you received the Goulami. Please email me back at this

Christiana B. Pooper, Special Agent, NCIS
XXXX XXXXX St.
XXXXXX, XXXXX
XXXXXXX, XX XXXXX
(XXX) XXX-XXXX

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Don't lie to them. (see Martha Stewart)

Get an attorney so you don't step on your dick.  Tell them you would like to help them but would prefer that they contact using a written correspondce and request a copy be sent to your attorney.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#35]
1. Proceed to drug store

2. Purchase vaseline

3. Bend over

4. Grab ankles

5. Pray for it to be over soon

ALternatively, think of steps 1 - 4 as being good practice for  your next 10 yeazrs in the Federal hotel of THEIR choice.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Damn!  Just goes to show that we should all save every piece of correspondance in every single transaction.  These theives couldn't care less about the ramifications to those of us that honestly believe we are conducting an honest, legal transaction.  I hope I never find myself in this position, but if I do I plan to have everything saved to prove I was acting innocently in the belief the transaction was on the up and up.  

What a damn shame a few give so many a bad name.  Stealing from a soldier is incredibly LOW!  That's like stealing food from a single parent.

Good luck guys!  I really hope you get to keep the items, or at least get compensated for the purchase price.  I doubt it, but here's good thoughts you do.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:50:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1. Proceed to drug store

2. Purchase vaseline

3. Bend over

4. Grab ankles

5. Pray for it to be over soon

ALternatively, think of steps 1 - 4 as being good practice for  your next 10 yeazrs in the Federal hotel of THEIR choice.

I sure am glad that I don't worry about shit as much as some of you guys do. I'd rather hang myself than believe that I was going to prison every time I saw a cop or one tried to talk to me.

Also, not everybody in prison gets fucked in the ass. Some of us are mean enough to do the fucking if we wanted to.

Now...squeal like a pig boy.....

I just enjy repeating cliches.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
"at this point"....I would ignore the email entirely.   If they really want info, they will find you.  

Unless you're 'in the navy" what authority would the NCIS have to compel you to talk?
Askin' out of curiosity... nothing more.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"at this point"....I would ignore the email entirely.   If they really want info, they will find you.  

Unless you're 'in the navy" what authority would the NCIS have to compel you to talk?
Askin' out of curiosity... nothing more.

They are federal LEO's, not Navy personnel like SPs & MPs. Thus, they are civilians not subjected to UCMJ. To answer your question... just like any other federal LEAs - a federal grand jury.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just enjy repeating cliches.

It's not just you...there are a million "the sky is falling" crybabies on here.

OMG...you posted somebodies work phone number...the sky is falling!
OMG...you talked to an LEO and you're going to jail...the sky is falling!
OMG...somebody somewhere just did something illegal and I'm afraid that I'm going to get blamed for it...the sky is falling!

It's kind of amusing that grown men can be so childish.

Don't forget the "OMG....he said "boobies" ....

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Lawyer up.

+1, dont trust those mofo's for nothing!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#46]
In the business I run unfortunately we sometimes receive stolen material.  When notified of this I have always co-operated with either the folks it was stolen from or the LEO.  I have never been blamed nor suffered repercussions other than losing the material sometimes.

Good on the OP and WW for co-operating.  I have no doubt that there are people who have been arse-raped by LEO at some point.  There are nightmares and horror stories associated with almost every facet of society but the level of paranoia displayed sometimes makes me wonder.

JMO
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I was off yesterday & didn't see the e-mail until this morning.  I spoke to the Agent a little while ago, before seeing this thread.  She said that she had sent out over 150 e-mails, based upon their subpoena of Paypal records on this guy.  Apparantly he posted items for sale on several different sites.  She did say that she was gratified by the number of people who had already contacted her willing to cooperate & provide information and who were (1) angry over the theft of military property and (2) willing to return them even though reimbursement couldn't be guaranteed (as I was, on both counts).  She said many of the folks who had called her so far were former military, FWIW.

As for all of the tin-foil-hat phishing comments, she already knew (as included in the e-mail) what I had bought and when, and she did not ask me for any additional personal information on the phone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#48]
So does she know Officer Ziva David and Abby Sciuto?
Did you ask her if she watches NCIS and if its realistic?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#50]

I have two whole offices full of lawyers at my disposal for free. Not counting the three or four more that I actually have to pay, so getting in trouble isn't anything that I'm really worried about.

Dude! What is it you do that you have so many law-dogs around you.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top