Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 4:23:43 PM EDT
I was coming down a hill and passed a trooper.  He stopped in the road and hauled ass back to catch me.  I pulled over and he pulls in behind me.  I roll down my window and my dog sticks his head out, the trooper pats the dog on the head.  The trooper then says "Sir do you know why I pulled you over tonight?"  I said "Well either because I don't have  a front license plate, or because I was going 52 in a 35 or a combination of the two"  He askes where the front plate is and I told him to look in the bed of the truck.  I hung my truck trying to turn around in the woods and the plate got ripped off.  He then askes me why I was going so fast, I told him that I was tired, was going down a hill and just really didn't feel like hitting the breaks. He then asks me when I got my last ticket.  I told him about my ticket 6 years ago.  He then asks me if the reason I hadn't had a ticket in 6 years is because I don't speed or because I haven't been caught.  I said it is very rare for me to go under the speedlimit and it normal for me to go 5 -10 over the limit.  
Goes to his car comes back and only writes me for going 9 over he said normally he would have thrown the book at me but because I was honest and cooperative he would let me off easy.  No dogs were harmed during the incident.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
IBHTD?

(In before "How's the dog?")
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate state troopers.  They all have a chip on their shoulder.  I feel for the people who must deal with a former classmate of mine.  He was a dickhead in HS, I can't imagine how much more so now with a badge on his chest.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You were speeding.

You got a ticket.

You didn't cry like a little girl.

You took it like a man.

My hat's off to you, VTHOKIESHOOTER.

You are a rare individual.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hate state troopers.  They all have a chip on their shoulder.  I feel for the people who must deal with a former classmate of mine.  He was a dickhead in HS, I can't imagine how much more so now with a badge on his chest.

Actually I like our troopers more than the local LEO.  There is a trooper in the same county that I got pulled over who I play golf and drink with.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You were speeding.

You got a ticket.

You took it like a man.

Hell it is just a speeding ticket, pay a fine and have insurance go up a bit but it isn't the end of the world, might as well make the cops day and give him an honest one anyway.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#6]
With the exception of one guy, all of the troopers I've dealt with have been rude, terse, and downright unpersonable.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
With the exception of one guy, all of the troopers I've dealt with have been rude, terse, and downright unpersonable.

Get pulled over by a Pulaski County LEO, you will then see that Virginia State Troopers aren't that bad.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My Dad was an NCSHP trooper for 30 years, and even he will tell you that there are quite a few dickheads out there.  That said, what profession doesn't have their fair share?  Most, if not all, of the troopers that I've dealt were just normal, laid back guys - and this is without them knowing me personally or that my Dad was a trooper.  It seems that like anything, the attitude you give is the attitude you get.  YMMV.    
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually,  I have a lot of respect for Troopers, unlike the local yahoo's. In Florida, troopers are a cut above and if they pull you over, you deserve it.  On the other hand we have a bunch of local  LEO cowboy's that are dangerous and have no business being in a position of POWER. Sorry about the ticket. You were brutally honest and it might have save you a few extra point's on your license. You handled the stop with honesty and respect and didn't become a jerk. Tough to do......
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

PA State Trooper let me go for being a Penn State student and didn't bat an eye at my sidearm.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get pulled over by a Pulaski County LEO, you will then see that Virginia State Troopers aren't that bad.

I always enjoyed the demeanor of the troopers in the Emporium speed trap.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Where did he pop you?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Where did he pop you?  

I was headed north on Rt. 8 headed out of Floyd.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

yep.  they all think they're elite as all hell too because they drive camaros.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Often, it isn't the behavior of the cop, it is the result of the stop. Ticket=dick, verbal warning=professional.

If you can judge them outside your own self-interest you're are one of few. Good job.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Often, it isn't the behavior of the cop, it is the result of the stop. Ticket=dick, verbal warning=professional.

If you can judge them outside you're own self-interest your are one of few. Good job.

I've gotten one ticket (never mind that it was bullshit).  I was speeding.  Speed trap.  He got me, I pulled over, knew why he pulled me over, took the ticket and that was that.

It isn't that so much as just the general personality of most who go into the jackbootery .  I know there are exceptions.

But for the most part they are always looking.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a ticket one time for not wearing a seat belt. When I went to court the judge asked me if I was wearing my seatbelt? I replied no. She asked why not? I told her I am sometimes clostrophobic (spelling) and I didn't wear it that day. She fined me $35.00. The normal fine is $150.00 so she let me off with a low fee for telling the truth. Cops get lied to alot, everyday. The truth is refreshing to a cop.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I favor state troopers over local leo's any day, in my boring neck of the woods the majority of the locals are trying to make a name for themselves where the troopers dont bother you unless your doing something reeealy stupid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I favor state troopers over local leo's any day...

In most places that is true.  However if you live an Cali, and ever drive after drinking, then beware or the California highway Patrol. they are expected to make at least one DUI arrest a night and dont mind bringing in "low blow" .06 & .07% "impaired" drivers to do it. Local cops however consider a low blow a sign of incompetance and usually wont arrest unless you are well over .08%
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I think cops fall into two groups:

1. They ask you a question which the know the answer and if you tell the truth they pretty much let you hang yourself.

2.  They ask you question which the know the answer and test you.  If you tell the truth they will cut you a break.  Petty much let you determine the outcome of the situation.  Kind of like, they look for a reason to give you a break and its the truth they want from you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]
In my dealings with the law, troopers are far cooler than locals. For a trooper to pull you over on the highway in Ga you have to be going 80 or over. Locals, which as far as I am concerened should not be giving tickets out on the highway anyways, will pull you over for going 10 over.

But lets get back to the highway. Why the hell am I paying taxes for city, county and state troopers to give tickets on the highway? Should that not be the exclusive realm of the state trooper? I thought, and I may be wrong, that was the troopers job. Why should we allow county and city police to patrol what we pay troopers to do?

Ok, just had to say that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You were speeding.

You got a ticket.

You took it like a man.

Hell it is just a speeding ticket, pay a fine and have insurance go up a bit but it isn't the end of the world, might as well make the cops day and give him an honest one anyway.

+1 Extra man-points for that.  He should've let you off w/ a warning, but then how often do state-types do that?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Meh, pulling people over on a downhill is BS unless they're flooring it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Please think before you write.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  One guy in HS doesn't comprise an entire State Trooper outfit.

HH
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep.  they all think they're elite as all hell too because they drive camaros.

members.fortunecity.com/copcarsite/camaro218.jpg

They don't ALL drive Camaros.  

I may wind up in the next FHP class if all goes well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#26]
"There's just one more thing Sir... I'm afraid you're going to have to blow..."

j/k
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#27]
A couple of years ago I was getting on the freeway and was doing almost 75 by the time I merged from the offramp.  I merged right in front of a highway patrolman who promptly pulled me over.

I didn't realize that it was a construction zone (55 mph), as I had just barely gotten on the freeway and actually saw him before I noticed the orange cones.  He asked me how fast I was going and I told him "I was doing better than 70".  He ran my licence and came back and told me that  it was refreshing to have somebody be honest with him for a change.  He wrote me up for 9 mph over and didn't write me up for speeding in a construction zone (double the fine).
Fortunately I didn't have my dog with me that day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#28]
My dad and I got pulled over four times in six hours on a road trip through East Texas last May (all warnings). We suspected something was amiss among the bored State Troopers, and the last one confirmed it for us.

The words out of the troopers mouth were "Nice car! How wide are these rims? 12, 13"?" "Uhhhh" "BTW, you don't have a front license plate." "Sorry about that, nobody else does either, can we go?" "Sure!"

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

G.S.P. has been nothing but fair to me in my dealing'S with them....
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I did a ride along with DPS, the officer only ticketed one person of the 8 he could have.  The kid who got the ticket fell asleep and rear ended someone at 4:30 in the afternoon.  Others he didnt ticket were going 86 is a 65, 74 in a 55, expired tags, fender bender and a few others for lesser speeds.

He said its mostly how you talk to him, be honest and your much more likely to get a warning...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Good experience here with the WSP. Pulled over,tabs expired 4 months ago-OOPS $187 ticket.
Asked me where I was going,I said home. He says NO, where are you going?  Oh, to get tabs- let me go, no ticket. Three days later  on my way to work I passed one going 55 in a 40 ( downhill, just changed from 45) He asked me what my hurry was, I told him there was no hurry. I explained to him that I left early because I had a feeling I would hit a speed trap and didn't want to speed. Told him I was just cruising along. Checked my info, suggested I slow down, and left. I am honest and respectful of them, and they of me. I just did the don't ask, don't tell on the CWP.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#32]
heh...I got pulled over by a Wash state trooper about 2 years ago.....no front licence plate....no proof of insurance [had a fender bender and both were at home]......and 54 in a 40....he took my info and went back to his cruiser.....came back after five minutes...and said "You look like a nice guy...I'm going to let you go on this stuff......but your wife is getting a ticket for no seat belt"

lmao...wife made me pay the 101 buck fine...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#33]
One day when i was young and dumb, i got caught in a speed trap going 117 in a 55. He pulled out and caught up to me, i thought i was going to jail for sure. He followed me for about 4 miles before i turned into the parking lot where i worked. I still have no idea why he didnt pull me over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#34]
+1 to verbal warnings from WA State Patrol. I did hear that the new chief/commissioner or whatever wants higher % of citations per stop. The also have those totally undercover ADAT cars in all shapes and sizes for the road ragers. I actually think that is kinda cool.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I work with them and have to say that ALL of them (state troopers only) over age 40 are ROAD (retired, on active duty) officers; they act pissed if anything requires them to leave the comfort of their vehicle. The younger guys are a lot of fun though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I got pulled over today too
well actually it was a road block check

NCHP: Liscense please
Me: ( handed DL and CHP) I am packing too
NCHP: So
Me
NCHP: Uhhhh, you know your inspection is out
Me: yeah, I think ( I look at it) June of '05
NCHP: Pull over there
NCHP: (heads toward his car stops and walks back) you mind telling me WHY it has been out that long?
ME: I own a big rig and hardly ever drive it (pick up), all my stuff is due at the same time, rig and little truck, except for the insp. My tags are due in June as is my Ins, so I wasnt looking at it

NCHP: goes to car , comes back with a pink slip, get it inspeted before court and they'll dismiss it, otherwise 135 dolla, see ya mr. truck driver, have a safe drive.

Me:
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I was coming down a hill and passed a trooper.  He stopped in the road and hauled ass back to catch me.  I pulled over and he pulls in behind me.  I roll down my window and my dog sticks his head out, the trooper puts one in the dog's head.  The trooper then says "Sir do you know why I pulled you over tonight?"  I said "Well either because I don't have  a front license plate, or because I was going 52 in a 35 or a combination of the two"  He askes where the front plate is and I told him to look in the bed of the truck.  I hung my truck trying to turn around in the woods and the plate got ripped off.  He then askes me why I was going so fast, I told him that I was tired, was going down a hill and just really didn't feel like hitting the breaks. He then asks me when I got my last ticket.  I told him about my ticket 6 years ago.  He then asks me if the reason I hadn't had a ticket in 6 years is because I don't speed or because I haven't been caught.  I said it is very rare for me to go under the speedlimit and it normal for me to go 5 -10 over the limit.  
Goes to his car comes back and only writes me for going 9 over he said normally he would have thrown the book at me but because I was honest and cooperative he would let me off easy.  No dogs were harmed during the incident.

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I would prefer to get pulled over my a local cop from any local department in the area. Much easier to get those tickets dumped.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
One day when i was young and dumb, i got caught in a speed trap going 117 in a 55. He pulled out and caught up to me, i thought i was going to jail for sure. He followed me for about 4 miles before i turned into the parking lot where i worked. I still have no idea why he didnt pull me over.

Thats not a speed trap
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I think the last ticket I got was from a Nebr. State Trooper....nearly 20yrs ago. (knock on wood)

I was cruising down a back road on my bike. Popped over a hill and there he was at the bottom waving over another car. When I got there he waved me over. I didn't know what was happening until I heard a voice on his radio and the unmistakable sound of an airplane engine. He was pleasant and commented in a positive manner about my bike. Hell, I was under the impression if a super wasn't looking over his shoulder I could have gotten by with a warning from him. It was only 10mph over. I think it would have happened.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#41]
You didn't get a ticket, you got a tax.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Join the military.  My Guard plates, DOD sticker, and MIL ID have gotten my brother and I out of so many tickets I cant even remember how many times Ive heard a cop say just slow down and have a good day/night.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You were speeding.

You got a ticket.

You took it like a man.

A M E N
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#44]
My problem usually isnt with the cops, they have a job to do. Its with the speed limit, if I can go 20 over and not even realise im doing it chances are the speed limit should better reflect safe driving speeds.

Im always polite courtious and honest, I think that offers me the best chance of them giving me a break. Ive gotten pulled over twice, once for failure to dim my brights(hadnt passed any cars in 10 minutes and forgot they were on) and 69 in a 50 on a 4 lane divided highway that was as flat as my prom date.

First guy let me off without a warning or anything, it was late and it was a 1 stoplight town, he was bored.

Second guy was out for blood, crossed a grass median and floored it to get to me. I honestly dont think I was going 69 in a 50 but to be honest I was concentraiting on the road not the speedo. I was polite and courtious as I could be but to no avail. It was obvious I was heading to the range so at least he didnt give me any crap about that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#45]
After driving 16hrs from Texas, I got pulled over close to Blacksburg, and got off w/o a hitch because the trooper was a former Marine.  The trooper guessed that I was a Marine because I had my Marine Corps issue high & stupid haircut and acted uber respectful, disciplined, and kept my bearing.  I exercised a U-turn (too close to an intersection & too late at night) after passing my brothers place.   Thank goodness I wasn't a Squid .

Hoo-Rah!

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where did he pop you?  

I was headed north on Rt. 8 headed out of Floyd.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top