Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 3:47:24 PM EDT
So, I'm pushing an old dinosaur unit, the gas bills are UNBELIEVABLE and it's not efficient at all as an A/C.  Sooooo.....had a coupla estimates done today, and the winner is:

Lennox 4 ton 12 SEER unit
Lennox G50 heater (which will really never come on, cuz I'm having the heat pump bypass set to 20 deg)
Humidifier unit
2 new pipes run to my den
New pad, thermostat, install and all the other yadda yada,
10 year parts/service/labor
2 year maintenance agreement

$6,477

Not bad, eh?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure...my estimate for a new Goodman 12 SEER 3 ton AC plus a new gas unit (not sure if it was an 85 percent unit or not) was $4500 installed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a fair price if this guy is a licensed contractor. Make him pull permits if necessary Do not use somebody that only works after hours or on the weekends. You do know that you're going to be married to this contracto & unit for a long time. Lennox is a good unit, but their parts are just a bit different from most others. Most times Lennox doesn't want to sell parts unless you're a Lennox dealer, and if they do the price is double what they sell to their dealers for.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:46:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure what Lennox G50 heater is or how much it cost but it will come on during the defrost cycle of the heat pump.

As for the price it seems kind of high to me.  I had a Luxair 3 ton unit installed, all new duct work, new coil, humidifier, thermostat, and eletronic air cleaner installed for around $4,700.  It also came with a 10 year parts and labor warranty.  

I have a gas furnace that I use for a backup heat source, it kicks on anytime the heat pump goes into defrost mode.  It also kicked on anytime the heat pump was not keeping the temp exactly where it should be which was basically any time the outside temp dropped under 40.  Even with the heat pump my gas bill was running $300 to $400 a month during the winter...until I disconnected the furnace as the backup source.  The furnace still turns on but only to defrost the heat pump.  My gas bill dropped from $300 down to $40 and my house stayed almost as warm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Luxair and Lennox are not close to the same quality.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's a fair price if this guy is a licensed contractor. Make him pull permits if necessary Do not use somebody that only works after hours or on the weekends. You do know that you're going to be married to this contracto & unit for a long time. Lennox is a good unit, but their parts are just a bit different from most others. Most times Lennox doesn't want to sell parts unless you're a Lennox dealer, and if they do the price is double what they sell to their dealers for.

Yeah, it's from Steel City, B'ham's "premier" folks in this.  Their service is top rate, I'll never pay for a damned thing on this for 10 years, and then it's time for a new unit anyways.  The price is for not just the 4 ton heat pump, but also a new heater, humidifier and all the what not.  Sure is a perty heater, too.  Too bad it'll almost never come on!  I'm setting the kick-in temp at 20 deg., so unless I demand more than 3 deg. at once, or it falls below 20, which it just don't do here parts, it's all heat pump.  Gooooood bye Mr.Gas Bill!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Why am I not seeing an air handler in the price?  Oh yeah, I'm looking at getting two 1.5 ton XLi14 Trane systems (with air handlers).  Could someone estimate an anticipated price range.  All duct work and electrical are fine...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
My air handler is still spot on, so not needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top