Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 11:34:32 AM EDT
I live in mid MO.  Temps are moderate.  I have about 3/4 acre, with 1/2 acre of it fenced.  I want a nice dark green front yard.  There will be no traffic other than the mailman walking past everyday.  I want a thick turf type/soccer field backyard that's resistant to a lot of traffic (2 adults, 2 dogs)  The front yard is mostly shaded by a large tree.  Back yard for the most part is full sun, with the exception of large trees in 3 of the 4 corners of the yard near the fence which get full shade.  I wouldn't mind planting an ivy or clover type plant under the trees as long as they don't spread all over and will do good in the shade and with dogs trampling them.  

I don't understand all the differnent types of seed.  What should I look for?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I don't understand all the differnent types of seed.  What should I look for?

Your closest farmers Co-Op. Other than that, your closest seed/fertilizer store.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Bermuda.

Mohawk is a decent culivar.

With temperatures and drought on the rise everywhere, anything else is too thirsty.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably something like a mix of kentucky bluegrass and fescue will work well for you (I'm in eastern MO myself - outside St. Louis).

Actually, if you just go browse the grass seed aisle at Home Depot, you'll see that there are different varieties that are better suited to shade versus full sun, and so forth - and you'll probably get a better feel for what you should do.

Proper fertilizer at the right time of the year, and weed/disease prevention will go a long way towards a nice looking lawn (as well as correct watering, of course).  You can plant the best seeds in the world, and the lawn will still look like crap if you don't take proper care of it.  I say that because the houses in my neighborhood probably use very similar grass (if not idenitical), but there's a HUGE difference among laws depending on who takes better care.

For example, my neighbor two houses over already has a nice green lawn, because he remembered to put down pre-emergent fertilizer a while ago.  I was late getting it down, so mine is still pathcy and yellowy in spots.

I am BY NO MEANS an expert on this, just passing on my limited understanding.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Try a little BC bud, then you wont care what your yard looks like.

kidding
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Tall Fescue but make sure its Kentucky 31

It will stay green year around!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top