Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 10:37:51 AM EDT
I need another safe for my excess guns.  I already have an expensive, supposedly high quality Browning FN safe.  I'm looking for a second safe for the second tier guns.

I'm considering a Winchester safe from Sam's

and a Cannon/American Eagle model from Academy.  

They're both listed as 60x30x22, both supposedly fire resistant for about 30 minutes, both have a 12 gauge body and 3/16 inch door.  I know the Cannon/American Eagle doesn't have bolts on the top or bottom of the door, and I'm pretty sure the Winchester is the same.  

The pimary differences that I can see is that the Winchester has an electronic lock while the Cannon/American Eagle has a traditional combination lock, and the Winchester has the hinges on the outside while they're internal on the Cannon/American Eagle.  I don't have a strong preference on the lock type one way ot the other.  They're both about the same price.  Anyone know any reason to prefer one over the other?

Oh yeah, and Academy also has a slightly larger (six inches wider) Cannon/American Eagle safe for $160 more.

Which one?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I spent $1600 on a Champion safe that have the following:

Phoenix™ Class I Fire Protection - 1300° one hour rating.
Over 1-3/8" thick body construction with 10-gauge steel plate outer wall.
4-Inch thick composite door.
Internal, ball-bearing hinges.
Sargent & Greenleaf lock
Champion's Auto-Relock™ System.
Diamond imbedded Armor-Plate
Up to 16 active, 10 inch, chrome-plated door bolts.
Roughneck™ bolt guides
Chrome-Plated 3 spoke handle.
Textured Granite Finish
All-Pro™ Interior
UL Security Rating
Lifetime Warranty  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Sam's club safe and am quite happy with it.  I actually replaced my dial lock with an S&G electric.  The last thing I want to have to do is fumble with the dial if I ever need to get into the safe RFN.  The Granite folks have been quite helpful when I've had to ask them questions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Re: Help me pick a gun safe

First you drill a 1/4" hole precisely 4" from the center of the combination padlock.  Then you insert a fiber optic video sensor.  Angle it 90 degrees up and you should be able to see the locking mechanism.  Start slowly turning to the right until the first position falls into place...  repeat for other 2.

Wait a second what are we talkinga bout? :D
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I also have the Winchester from Sam's. At $589 I couldn't beat it for what I needed. The bottom line is it works and I feel better knowing my firearms are locked up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Re: Help me pick a gun safe

First you drill a 1/4" hole precisely 4" from the center of the combination padlock.  Then you insert a fiber optic video sensor.  Angle it 90 degrees up and you should be able to see the locking mechanism.  Start slowly turning to the right until the first position falls into place...  repeat for other 2.

Wait a second what are we talkinga bout? :D

Picking, not cracking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top