Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/29/2006 5:43:47 AM EDT
Okay, I bought a new bench a few weeks ago and I am finally getting around to setting it up. The top is made of a fine grained, dense plywood type substance. I know it should be sealed...but with what? Deck seal??? Fish oil? Dura Coat? ( )
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:44:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2006 5:45:24 AM EDT by gaspain]
Polyurathane resin boat sealant. Get it at a boat supply.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:50:29 AM EDT
I don't work on that surface of the dense fiberboard. I cut cardboard to fit and put a piece of carpet remnant over that. I just change either of them as needed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:56:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2006 5:56:43 AM EDT by desertmoon]
ON my old bench I had this really thick layer of flexible PVC that is used to line shower stalls and other stuff...that was really good but I have long since sent it the way of the dinosaur...

I have to get a few more cap screws and nuts so I'll check out some stuff while I am at the Depot......

keep the tips a comin'
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:58:02 AM EDT
Here is what I am using on my deck.

www.woodrx.com/aboutinseco.htm

This is an actual picture of my deck.

I found it by talking to the local dock builder. They use this on all their PT pine docks. I figure if it will stand up in a marine environment, it will work well on my dock.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:36:50 AM EDT
Take some trim or some 1x4 or 1x6 a tack it around the edge, but let it sit a 1/4in. or so above the top.
Get a sheet of masonite and cut to fit.

Now you have a masonite inlay that can be easily replaced once worn out. A sheet of masonite is pretty cheap too.

That's what I'm doing when I build my bench.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:43:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RRA-A2:
Take some trim or some 1x4 or 1x6 a tack it around the edge, but let it sit a 1/4in. or so above the top.
Get a sheet of masonite and cut to fit.

Now you have a masonite inlay that can be easily replaced once worn out. A sheet of masonite is pretty cheap too.

That's what I'm doing when I build my bench.

good idea!!!!
Top Top