Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 5:29:34 AM EDT
Please see the picture below of my outdoor open-air covered patio. Notice the cabinet above the fireplace? I want to put a cheap TV there. I can buy a 19" tube TV for about $100. I'm wondering if I leave it out there all the time, subjecting it to high humidity and certain water vapor accumulation, will the TV last more than a few weeks? Anyone have any experience with putting a TV outdoors?

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a feeling , soon as it gets moisture in it and you turn it on.............self destruction.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably will melt when you have a big fire in the fireplace.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen one TV in a covered outside patio type of bar I go to, its had the same TV for at least a year. It is tucked up under the eve or more torwards the inside wall. The patio is closed up with canvas during the winter and heated with natural gas so there must be alot of humidity in that area.
Va beach is known for its sticky summers.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That's just a gas log fireplace. I can't burn wood because there is no chimney.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had a TV on my pation in Florida for over 5 years now, no problems. It is tucked up where no direct rain can hit it. It is extremely humid here, and it even made it through a hit from hurricane Charlie. It is very nice to be able to watch sports while grilling, entertaining, or using the hot tub. Even if I had to replacee the set every few years it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweet set up.

I'd say you'll get at least a year out of the TV. Maybe more. Just don't watch it in the rain.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Please see the picture below of my outdoor open-air covered patio. Notice the cabinet above the fireplace? I want to put a cheap TV there. I can buy a 19" tube TV for about $100. I'm wondering if I leave it out there all the time, subjecting it to high humidity and certain water vapor accumulation, will the TV last more than a few weeks? Anyone have any experience with putting a TV outdoors?

members.roadfly.com/agent7/house8.jpg

Tac,
Sweet patio (kinda looks like Central Tx?) .  We've got a similar set up (patio/backyard) and was wondering the same thing since we are spending more and more time out there.   I was afraid the humidity would kill it.  But if its working in Florida then no doubt it would work here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I would consider mounting it in a bracket from the ceiling or else build a cover out of vinyl for it.

Even a small amount of moisture will cause havoc with the high voltage system in a TV. Keeping it out of sunlight is not a bad idea either as sunlight will break down most plastics over time.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice set-up!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just a gas log fireplace. I can't burn wood because there is no chimney.

Oh I bet I could get some wood burning in it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Could you put some kind of glass window up in front of the TV and enclose it, maybe with a screened side vent for air curculation?  I guess you'd have to have external speakers though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#13]
As long as it doesnt get WET you should be OK
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a TV in a small room with a hot tub.

When is use the room gets like a steam bath. The TV has always worked. The phone goes out every so often, but not the TV.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

When is use the room gets like a steam bath. The TV has always worked. The phone goes out every so often, but not the TV.

Is the room in your house?  You might have some mold issues behind the drywall if the room's not well-vented to remove the moisture.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the room in your house?  You might have some mold issues behind the drywall if the room's not well-vented to remove the moisture.

Thanks, no it is outside in a gazebo type thing with windows and gas heat.

Come to think of it for the guy and his post the TV is left on ( I mean plugged in all the time)  and the room goes down to freezing or colder. And it has worked for about 3 years now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys for the compliments and the help. I think I'll go pickup a $100 TV and give it a try.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#18]
There are also outdoor TeeVees, just like there are outdoor stereos.  clickity
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I have had a TV in South Florida in a very similar location, with at least as much humidity as Texas....for the past 2 years. Mounted in my patio, outside, under shelter...but completely exposed to the air and humidity.

It hasn't skipped a beat in that time. I wouldn't worry about it at all. And...for $100, who cares if it doesn't last much longer than 2 years anyway? Get a new one if it craps out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Lots of places here have them out on their decks... Hell, even at the beach.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I've seen it done like that in Belize, where it can rain hard without warning and is humid all the time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I live in Houston and have a 13" television under a covered patio area, and it has worked for about 8 years. It is just a Philips tube television. As long as you dont get it wet, rain, garden hose, etc. you should be fine.

And yes it is worth having outside especially if you grill.
James
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Hot to cold and cold to hot would be the biggest concern.

I would avoid turning it on first thing in the morning or at night after the sun has been down for a few hours.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I would avoid turning it on first thing in the morning or at night after the sun has been down for a few hours.

Temperature has no effect.....TV's work fine regardless.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#25]
For some reason it does fine when covered with a heavy gauge trashbag, moisture does not build up

but then again Florida only has two seasons, hot and hotter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for that but I'm talking about moisture.

Where do you think condensation comes from? Cold to hot and hot to cold.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for that but I'm talking about moisture.

Where do you think condensation comes from? Cold to hot and hot to cold.

Your post simply mentioned temperature.

Gotcha now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top