Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 1:48:43 AM EDT
Why would I use it instead of just regular e-mail?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean rather than Microsoft Exchange?  Security, resource overhead.  That kindof stuff.

I think it's more aimed as a server and user side business solution rather than for home users.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I love it.  Easy to use custom filtering, good spam detection.  Lots of good plugins, very low overhead.

Plus nearly all the goddamn email trojans and virii are targeted at MS products.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I use it. It is a great email client for reasons that were mentioned above, it's more secure due to the fact that the majority of exploits and viruses sent by email are targeted to MS software.

I also love the integrated junk mail filtering, the software is easily trainable and is suprisingly accurate at identifying legitimate vs junk mail.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been using it now for several months. I like it. It also allows my wife to use Outlook while I use Thunderbird. It keeps our stuff seperated, and prevents her from deleting my stuff by mistake and vicey versy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#5]
So why not just use Yahoo mail?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thunderbird is like MS Outlook / Outlook express, its a POP access client, yahoo webmail (I think) doesnt come with free pop access.
ETA: its good for when you have a website with your own email address, like [email protected] etc, where there frequently is NO webmail client.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yahoo mail doesn't give you a local copy so you can't make backups or search easily.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#8]
So if I'm just some guy with a few e-mail accounts that aren't used for business purposes, that would just be a waste of time?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So if I'm just some guy with a few e-mail accounts that aren't used for business purposes, that would just be a waste of time?

It depends are they the free webmail accounts without POP3 access? If so, yes. I use mozilla thunderbird to check 1 email account (one for a website I run). I dont think It's a waste of time at all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I can get around the firewall at work and browse ARF.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#11]

If you use Outlook, or Outlook Express, for your email,  Thunderbird is a better, safer program....

If you only have emails like yahoo, hotmail, etc,  you can't use it with them.

For people with emails like [email protected] or [email protected], (ie. email provided BY your ISP, not free online junk) then Thunderbird is teh win  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I obviously have an ar15.com e-mail as a paying member.  I also have a .org work address.  I also have a .edu work address.  

Can I use one program to check all of these?  Is Thunderbird teh win?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I obviously have an ar15.com e-mail as a paying member.  I also have a .org work address.  I also have a .edu work address.  

Can I use one program to check all of these?  Is Thunderbird teh win?

Yes, thunderbird can subscribe to multiple email accounts of many varying types (pop/s, imap/s) and can treat each account with a differing identity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top