Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/28/2006 7:06:41 PM EDT

Helped Reagan bring the US Military out of the Carter induced shitheap.

March 28, 2006

Caspar Weinberger, former defense secretary, dies

By George Gedda
Associated Press

Caspar Weinberger, shown here testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in August 2002, served as Secretary of Defense from 1981 to 1987, during the Reagan administration. — Mannie Garcia / Army Times

Caspar W. Weinberger, who served in the Cabinets of Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan and was central figure in the Iran-Contra scandal, died Tuesday at 88.

Weinberger had been hospitalized for about a week with a high fever and pneumonia brought on by old age, according to his son, Caspar Weinberger Jr. Weinberger’s wife of 63 years, Jane, was by his side when he died, the son said.

“He gave everthing to his country, to public office and to his family,” Caspar Weinberger Jr. said.

As Richard Nixon’s budget director, Weinberger was such a zealous economizer he earned the nickname “Cap the Knife” for his efforts to slash government spending, largely by cutting or curtailing many of President Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society social programs.

(Fucking a Bubba!!)

Later, he became the consummate Cold Warrior as Ronald Reagan’s secretary of defense and presided over $2 trillion in military spending — the biggest peacetime increase in U.S. history.

“I was deeply disturbed to learn of the death of a great American and a dear friend,” said former Secretary of State Colin Powell. “Cap Weinberger was an indefatigable fighter for peace through strength. He served his nation in war and peace in so many ways.”

Patrick Buchanan, an aide and speechwriter in the Nixon White House, called Weinberger “a good friend.”

“I think he was just about one of the best Cabinet officers that I’ve known in a lifetime,” Buchanan said.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:15:59 PM EDT
And it WAS a shitheap! Trucks which would'nt make out of the post's front gate. president Reagan and SECDEF Weinberger gave us good stuff(the 900 series and HEMITT,the Blackhawk,the M-16A2,the Apache..........) RIP,Cap !!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:18:55 PM EDT
Bama-Shooter posted this as soon as it was announced this morning.

Cap was a great Sec. of Defense.

HH
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:21:47 PM EDT
I met Secretary Weinberger when I was a young MP at Ft. McNair in DC. He gave a presentation at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces (ICAF) one day and as he came into the building he stopped and spoke each one of us that was that was assigned to the detail (Basically we stood there in dress blues and looked nice at the doors). Nice man when he spoke to us. RIP sir.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:23:21 PM EDT
One of the great conservatives.

RIP, sir.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:29:19 PM EDT

A great man.

Top Top