Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2006 11:01:16 AM EDT
Nice young bloke.  

Just came to tell me that he was going to shoot a deer that somebody had hit on the road.  The deer had limped onto my property next to the road and was thrashing around in pain and needed to be dispatched.  

Said that if I heard gunshots not to worry.

Boom

Boom

Boom

Three pistol shots.  So much for a quick dispatch!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#1]
You didn't have two dogs, did you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you claim the backstraps and tenderloins?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nice young bloke.  

Just came to tell me that he was going to shoot a deer that somebody had hit on the road.  The deer had limped onto my property next to the road and was thrashing around in pain and needed to be dispatched.  

Said that if I heard gunshots not to worry.

Boom

Boom

Boom

One round for the deer, the others are for the two dogs tied up in your yard

ETA, someone beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Depends on the ammo being used. When we were issued subsonic ammo it always took multiple rounds to put a deer down.
Maybe the animal was thrashing around and he couldn't get a clear shot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe he gave it two to the chest and one to the head.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Probably just had 9mm, a .45 would have done it in one.........

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Save the ammo and use the cruiser?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#11]
When in doubt, shoot again. When I start shooting at an animal, I shoot till it falls.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#12]
yea.  Better to dump two extra into him and stop the thrashing.  you can kill a deer with one shot but not instantaneously after they have been hit and the adrenaline is up. not without a head shot and that is hard on a thrashing deer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, it must have been a 9mm
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Uh what
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had to kill two deer that were hit and badly wounded on the side of the road. One with a 7.62x39mm, and the other with a .357mag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#19]
It took him three try's to hit it!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I've finished off 2 does with a .40  Single headshots from 5 feet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Last one I put down was with a .38 SW 642ti, loaded with +p Starfire JHP. One shot did it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Tenderloin sounds great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a rapid skunk in my yard a few summers ago. Called the PD and the animal control officer showed up along with a Patrolman and a rookie. They decide that the rookie will have to shoot the skunk. So here we are 4 grown men and 1 little skunk. I offered the use of my Colt MT but they declined. It took them 4 shots to kill the skunk. Anyway I got to bury it!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#26]
He actually used his gun! The good ol boys I hunt with in Missouri found a doe that had been impaled on a fence post. They did not want to shoot her, but the did have a 10lb sledge in the truck! One guy held the ears and the other guy WHACK! one blow to the head and it was all over.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I had a rapid skunk in my yard a few summers ago. Called the PD and the animal control officer showed up along with a Patrolman and a rookie. They decide that the rookie will have to shoot the skunk. So here we are 4 grown men and 1 little skunk. I offered the use of my Colt MT but they declined. It took them 4 shots to kill the skunk. Anyway I got to bury it!

Dang... please oh God don't ever let me meet up with a rapid skunk.

Do rapid skunks get more thrusts per squeeze?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like he was professional and above board. Nice of him to alert you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang... please oh God don't ever let me meet up with a rapid skunk.

Do rapid skunks get more thrusts per squeeze?

Ban rapid skunks, for the children.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Last one I put down was with a .38 SW 642ti, loaded with +p Starfire JHP. One shot did it.

Maybe witnessing the recoil scared it to death?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

On skunks its best to kill them the first shot.  If they get pissed off you do not want to be the one to bury it.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It took me a while to get that one.

I have too much German in me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Should have offered him the use of a rifle or shotgun.
I wouldn't relish putting a large animal down with a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Save the ammo and use the cruiser?

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On skunks its best to kill them the first shot.  If they get pissed off you do not want to be the one to bury it.  

I use the shotty with birdshot for the skunks. Stand off distance with those is important unless they are so sick that you can just walk right up to them.

I wind up shooting a deer at least every other week. Its good for ammo rotation, if nothing else.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Finished off my buck this year with my Makarov.  It took two shots with Barnhaul JHP to the head.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#38]
A .22 rimfire pistol is all you need to put a lot of animals down, its all about shot placement.  I grew up on a farm and have butchered a variety of different animals.  I have witnessed a large boar hog take a shot between the eyes with a .40 and all it did was knock the boar down DID NOT penetrate the skull one bit.    Same hog was dispached with a single .22LR shot from directly behind the ear at a downward/inward angle to the center of the brain.

Admitedly it could be hard to get perfect shot placement on a wounded animal that is thrashing about on the ground.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Finished off my buck this year with my Makarov.  It took two shots with Barnhaul JHP to the head.

How far away were you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh what

2 of the best parts of the deer, esp the Backstrap......

Not all roadkill is mashed to the point of being un salvagable.

In this case since the deer was still alive, then shot, parts of it could have been stil good to go, so to speak.

No sense in wasting good deer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh what

In this case since the deer was still alive, then shot, parts of it could have been stil good to go, so to speak.

There is a list that folks can get on to get RK moose up here.  mm mm tastey
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh what

Im confused Because atleast In MI backstrap and tenderloins are the same thing
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh what

That's cause when you hit them going fast enough they get all mashed together.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Ran pretty fast while you were trying to shoot it?  Hell I'ld run fast if 4 guys were trying to shoot me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Here is your free medical advice for the day: NEVER touch a rabid animal. People have gotten rabies from handling the carcasses of rabid animals.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought they had doomsday devices so that they automatically go off when they die?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#47]
BACKSTRAP:  The two loooong strips of meat that run dorsally along either side of the backbone, in beef it is analogous to the the meat from whence we get ribeyes and strip steaks.

TENDERLOIN:  The much, much smaller two strips of meat that run along the ventral side of the spinal cord, farther back on the last 1/3 or the backbone.  In beef it is analogous to the meat from whence we get filets.

Every deer I've had to dispatch on the road has been with a .22LR.  A few went down with minor twitching, but some started crappie floppin' something fierce and I've had to shoot 'em a few more times to calm 'em down.  Probably didn't have to, but I hate just standing around watching such a magnificent critter jumping around like a brain-shot cat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the ammo being used. When we were issued subsonic ammo it always took multiple rounds to put a deer down.
Maybe the animal was thrashing around and he couldn't get a clear shot.

I have to say, in life-- This guy has taught me, "There is always an excuse".
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh what

Backstrap runs along the backbone or spine of the deer.

Tenderloins are on the belly side of the backbone or spine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Nope!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top