Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 10:47:38 AM EDT
Ok I have a business with a parking lot, one of my spots is a handicap spot that we put in, well we have a pretty full parking lot and its customer parking only because there is limited parking in the area and they will use up all of our parking.

Well two able bodied young men just pulled into the spot, I saw the handicap placard but saw they were not handicap, I told them its customer parking only, and they told me to go screw myself they can park in any handicap spot???

If it was a real handicap person I would have just let it go, but this is private property and these lazy sacks of shit are not only using my space that spot could have gone to someone who really needed it.

So can I tow or is it true that they can park anywhere.

Heck its my property I could paint over the spot and make it normal parking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#1]
nobody has the RIGHT to park on your property.  you grant them the privelage of doing so in exchange for them doing business with you.  you should have their asses towed immediately.  it doesnt matter if they're handicapped or not.  if you really wanted to, you could get the most handicapped person on earth's car towed if you saw fit.  you'd be an asshole for doing so, but you're the property owner, and the "customers only" policy is clearly posted
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
More trouble than it's worth. Let it go.
Just because they don't look handicapped dosen't mean they are abusing the placard. I know someone that has a heart condition and he looks completely normal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Call the cops.   Make them PROVE it's their handicapped tag, not grandma's.

To my knowledge, NO, they can't just park in any spot.  Customer only is customer only
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Customers only is just that.

I'd say tow those fuckers, if only for the attitude.

They come onto YOUR property and tell YOU what you can and can't do?

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#5]
They told the owner of the property they parked on to go screw himself?  Oh, that not good for them.

if you own the parking lot, you can demand they leave.  if they refuse, you can have them arrrested for trespassing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Can cops enforce parking regulations on private property?
Last I heard stuff like stop signs on private property can't be enforced by public cops.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IIRC, state of Texas, the parking lot has to marked with warning signs at the entrances threatening to tow, what tow company, and who to contact incase of a towing.

I have no idea bout your state though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Whether one of them was handicapped or not, I'd have the car towed just because of "screw you" attitude.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Last I heard stuff like stop signs on private property can't be enforced by public cops.

Tresspassing can be.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Handicapped parking spots are enforced by the police.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

To my knowledge, NO, they can't just park in any spot.  Customer only is customer only

how do you prove it's grandpas or yours.
I had a 1 year tag when I had surgery and I had no ID to prove that it was mine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

no, but tresspassing laws can be.  all it takes is a property owner's complaint and they can be removed from the property
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

even on private property?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I am handicapped.......I'm psychotic.

( a little Johnny Dangerously reference there....)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

In my state, yes.
edit to add:
The placards here are serialized; you have to contact the issuing town hall and figure out who the placard was issued to. Thery didn't want the issued persons name on the placard due to ID theft concerns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't want this to turn into a flame fest so I'm not defending them.
I just don't think it's worth the trouble of them coming back drunk and pissed and tossing a trash can through the window.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  I don't think there's much else they can ticket for, but parking in a properly marked handicapped space without a permit is one they can.

Depending on the law, a certain number of handicapped spaces must be provided, and the cops can enforce their proper use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#18]
This is covered by section 503B of the Rehabilitation Act in that you must provide the handicap parking if you are private or public.
However, there is nothing in there about parking in some one elses parking area.
Those guys are full of it.
If it is your parking and it is for your customers but post signs saying that.
I look perfectly healthy but can not walk very far, so do not go by that.
In my state if the non-handicapped person is doing errands for the handicapped person, they can legally part in the handicapped spaces.
That is why it is hard for the people who need them to find one many times since all they have to say is that they doing something for the "capper".
I love it when they get out of the car and sprint into the store.
I also like they way many people use the handicap spaces to put there shopping carts when they are finished with them blocking the handicaped spaces.
If there is another space close to the store, I will park in it instead of the handicapped space so someone else can use it- hopefully someone who needs it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#19]
If the .gov can mandate that as a business, you must provide handicapped parking near the entrance (which I believe is a law), then they sure as hell can come and ticket for not obeying the ordinance.  The trouble is that if no proof of  'being the handicapped' that the placard was issued to is required, the police can do nothing but take the punks word for it.

At this point..."I have no idea how all the air got out of that tire sir, I'd be happy to call a tow truck for you".  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a 1 year tag when I had surgery and I had no ID to prove that it was mine.

In Maryland, you have a ID card issued with the tag

In Pennsylvania, you are supposed to carry the registration papers that show who it's issued to

Bear in mind, not all handicapped folks LOOK handicapped - my wife doesn't, but she is

Also, able bodied folks park in handicapped spots to pick up or drop off handicapped people
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Pennsylvania, you are supposed to carry the registration papers that show who it's issued to

In Minnesota you take a doctors note to city hall and they hand you a placard. At least that's how it is in my county.
It might have something to do with Mayo clinic being here and the thousands of out of town visitors we get.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ok I have a business with a parking lot, one of my spots is a handicap spot that we put in, well we have a pretty full parking lot and its customer parking only because there is limited parking in the area and they will use up all of our parking.

Well two able bodied young men just pulled into the spot, I saw the handicap placard but saw they were not handicap, I told them its customer parking only, and they told me to go screw myself they can park in any handicap spot???

If it was a real handicap person I would have just let it go, but this is private property and these lazy sacks of shit are not only using my space that spot could have gone to someone who really needed it.

Why have you not called a tow truck yet?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In MN police can enforce handicapped parking and fire lane violations on private property.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#24]

No icepick handy?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#25]
In a perfect world you should be able to take a crowbar to their knees and truely make them handicapped.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#26]
If your lot is clearly marked as customer only parking, and they are not customers then have them towed. If it isn't marked customer parking then make a sign saying so, hang it in front of their vehicle and then get it towed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Draw down and THEN have their car towed!  Best of both worlds!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Minnesota you take a doctors note to city hall and they hand you a placard. At least that's how it is in my county.
It might have something to do with Mayo clinic being here and the thousands of out of town visitors we get.

are you in Rochester?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you in Rochester?

Nearby in Byron. it's a bedroom community and the first town going west on 14
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I would have killed them both, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Stop signs: generally unenforceable regarding traffic citations.

Handicapped parking signs: Generally enforceable within the entire state, on or off private property. However the police may not be able to tow it from the space if it's on private property.

Thus he might like to do double damage by both calling his own tow to have it removed, and requesting the local LE agency to swing by and ticket it. The cops will likely get there first and trust me will more than enjoy ticketing the car then sitting by watching while it gets towed away by you, the property owner. I know I love it when property owners stick it to idiots without relying 100% on LE to do it for them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#33]
tow it
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#34]
in PA if you have the private properity posted for business use only, you could have the car ticketed by the local PD, and towed by the towing co. of your choice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#35]
No real need to confront them.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Where did the guys go, if they didn't go in your place. Did they get in another car? Is there another business close by?

Do you have signs posted? I would say have them towed for attitude if so. If no signs, I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm going to court this Friday for a handicapped ticket.  Best course of action is probably to call the cops, get the car ticketed.  After that, you can get the car towed.  Just for liability reasons, does the handicapped sign have "Tow-Away Zone" or words to that effect below it or next to it?  If not, get it added also.  Since it's private property, so technically, the owner of the property can get the car towed.  Just to cover yourself more and have a stronger case, get the car ticketed first.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#38]

This is another one of those questions that is best asked somewhere else . Like maybe ,
 CITY HALL .     This ain't the place to get legal advice .      
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Learn and follow both your City Ordinances and State Laws, break them at your legal peril.  Foollow them and you are in good shape.

IIRC you are in CA and the Vehicle Code (22658) says that the parking area must be appropriately signed including CVC 22658 CVC and the local PD number for recovering towed violating cars.  I expect that there are more that may apply.  IIRC parking in a properly posted Handicapped Space or Fire Lane is ticketrable and if in a marked fire lane towing is legal and almost mandatory.

the again if this is in Southern California, they may be UCLA football players.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top