Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 9:01:33 AM EDT
I have considered buying a couple semi auto airsoft GLOCK style pistols to use for extreme close range force on force training. I put 100-200 rounds a week through my carry gun in realistic practice, but I would think the airsoft pistols would be good for training against an active attacker. I don't expect it to take the place of live fire, but just add another dimension to my training. Sort of a civilian replacement for Simunitions.

Anyone else own airsoft for this purpose?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Your stats say you've been around since 2003 and have 6753 posts, yet your post indicates you haven't seen any of the many Air$oft threadstorms...

FWIW I have considered doing force-on-force training with Air$oft in my own home, in conjunction with range time with "real steel". DON'T TELL ARFCOM. They'll get their manties in a wad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I own some of the cheaper airsoft.  My boys and I use them for target in the basement.  They were a good start for teaching safe handling of firearms.    Now its just fun.  Little competition between the boys and I.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#3]
IBTASC

(In before the airsoft sucks people!)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I own some of the cheaper airsoft.  My boys and I use them for target in the basement.  They were a good start for teaching safe handling of firearms.    Now its just fun.  Little competition between the boys and I.  

Yup...and I have trained at Oregon Firearms Academy using the green gas models during use-of-force justification training. Lot easier to learn from mistakes made with one of these verses the real thing...

My son just called two minutes ago..."Dad, where is the airsoft and paintballs"? Crap.. That little fart gets red paint on the house I'm drawing down...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I can see no problem with using them for training.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not?

Airsoft guns are so realistic Britian wants to ban them
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a green-gas replica g17 that i practice some drills with. It's pretty handy, although I wish the slide was metal instead of plastic. The balance is a little off, but I'd say it's sill pretty realistic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#10]
it has its pros and cons.

As lupey said, you can use them as a primer for teaching safe firearms handling.  Force-on-Force training in a CQB environment with green gas guns has also been effective.

Obviously, however, you cannot rely on these guns to produce 100% likeness to real steel, although SOME green gas guns I have seen recoil pretty snappily.  When doing serious training, it is best to know exactly what you're doing, and also to never lapse into the attitude that the guns are just toys, even though that's really what they are, so as not to reinforce unsafe habits.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]
For what you want I don't think people here have a problem with airsoft.  

I bought one to practice for IPSC matches.  It's a lot lighter due to the plastic slide but the real problem is that the recoil is almost nothing.  In IPSC you shoot every target twice, without recoil it's not very realistic.

Just don't wind up like this guy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Airsoft != Simunitions
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have considered buying a couple semi auto airsoft GLOCK style pistols to use for extreme close range force on force training. I put 100-200 rounds a week through my carry gun in realistic practice, but I would think the airsoft pistols would be good for training against an active attacker. I don't expect it to take the place of live fire, but just add another dimension to my training. Sort of a civilian replacement for Simunitions.

Sounds like that should do it.  Airsoft for fun, not for 'realistic practice'.  Not a hater, but please, be real.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like that should do it.  Airsoft for fun, not for 'realistic practice'.  Not a hater, but please, be real.

I don't get to shoot my carry gun at targets that are moving and shooting back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't get to shoot my carry gun at targets that are moving and shooting back.

That reminds me of that movie Point Break.  Do you remember the beginning scene?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top