Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 2:19:07 AM EDT
Police: Officer justified to shoot pit bull

'He got shot twice and he's still kicking,' owner said of his dog, Chief.

A red-nose pit bull is recovering at an animal hospital after a Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police officer shot the dog.

Eight-month-old Chief had gotten off his lead and was loose on his owner's property in the 2300 block of Camelia Court Saturday afternoon.

Officer Ryan Bevil had been called to the house for an animal complaint. He saw the dog in the yard and tried to avoid it when he went to the door, but the dog came at him, according to an initial police report.

Bevil said he used pepper spray on Chief after the dog attacked him, according the report. He fired four shots from his firearm after the dog continued to come at him, the report says.

The officer was not injured.

"The dog was coming at him," said Lt. Brenda Boulware, commander of the county's animal control unit. "He showed great restraint when he did shoot him. The county has a leash law and he was loose."

Chad Oliver acknowledged that Chief was not on a leash, but says the dog was in his yard.

The police report says the dog was a foot away from the officer when he fired.

"I'm concerned why the cop came up in my yard, knowing the dog was visible. He doesn't know my dog might be trained not to leave the yard," Oliver said. "He didn't give my dog a chance."

The officer should not have gotten out of his patrol car if he was scared of the dog, Oliver said.

"He should have sat in his car and called animal control," Oliver said. "He sprayed the dog with mace; of course that was going to agitate him."

Oliver said he has "beware of dog" signs posted, but Boulware says that's not enough. Dog owners need to keep their pets on a leash or in a fenced-in yard, she said.

Animal control is scheduling a hearing to determine if Chief is dangerous, Boulware said.

Oliver said animal control has been to his house other times for his other pit bull, Chief's mother, who has gotten loose several times and he says is sometimes vicious. But Chief is harmless, he said.

Oliver has since turned the female pit bull over to animal control.

He is waiting for a veterinarian to repair Chief's crushed jaw and injured leg.

But the veterinarian says Chief will be fine, according to Oliver.

"He got shot twice and he's still kicking," he said.
Click here to return to story:
http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/032706/3747266.shtml
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:29:55 AM EDT
[#1]
He should have nuked it from orbit... Just to be sure..
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Should have used a 44mag.
Dog owners are all the same. He won't bite.
My dog's a good dog etc. The thing is loose its the owners fault.
You are responsible for your dog's actions. Pit bull owners must be very responsible
owners. Pit's are the 50 cal breed of dogs. Lots of power there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#3]

The officer should not have gotten out of his patrol car if he was scared of the dog, Oliver said.

"He should have sat in his car and called animal control,"

that woulda been a smart idea.

here im  deputy dip shit ill just walk into a yrad with a breed of dog that is know for being agressive ,,then mace,shoot ect the thing a.then get told i did well.  BS  call animal control if its an animal compliant,,sorry if the dog was in the strret being agressive fine shoot it. dont enter private property,, then be forced to take action...thats stupid....they dont run into  house full of dealers with guns that fast,,why do it with a simple dog compliant,,,,, oh wait dogs dont shoot back

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If the cop was dumb enough to enter the yard after seeing there was a large and potentially "vicious" dog loose, then the cop deserves to get mauled.

You wouldnt walk thru the lion cage to get to the zoo keeper would you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the cop was dumb enough to enter the yard after seeing there was a large and potentially "vicious" dog loose, then the cop deserves to get mauled.

well i was almmost in before the cop haters.... ohwell maybe next time....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:13:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nothing to hate,,,cop or not,,its called common sense,,animal issue. you dont confront the animal if you aint trained to do so.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I am anything but a "cop hater"

I would have said the same thing about any other human.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"He sprayed the dog with mace; of course that was going to agitate him."

Thats funny; thats not the reaction I get when I spray a dog. They tend to run away in pain.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:22:57 AM EDT
[#9]
link

lose dog attacking officers/ passerbye,,,  shoot all you want.

walk into a  a private yard over a animal complaint when you see the pitbull or ANY  dog for that matter you need to  call folks trained in those matters.    label me a cop hater all you want,, you dont call the cop to fix your toilet do you ? why call one to take care of adog complaint!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:25:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
why call one to take care of a dog complaint!

Happens all the time here; animal control will not respond here outside of business hours unless the animal is in peril.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:29:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nothing to hate,,,cop or not,,its called common sense,,animal issue. you dont confront the animal if you aint trained to do so.  

ok so now the officer in question isnt trained??  I dont think you understand how an officer is trained to do so in such a manner are you?

edited: im done with this one for sure, its just bound to get ugly, for you mainly
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:12:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"He should have sat in his car and called animal control,"

that woulda been a smart idea.

here im  deputy dip shit ill just walk into a yrad with a breed of dog that is know for being agressive ,,then mace,shoot ect the thing a.then get told i did well.  BS  call animal control if its an animal compliant,,sorry if the dog was in the strret being agressive fine shoot it. dont enter private property,, then be forced to take action...thats stupid....they dont run into  house full of dealers with guns that fast,,why do it with a simple dog compliant,,,,, oh wait dogs dont shoot back

Yea, scared of dog!  Read the code of ethics sometime smart guy.  In my part of the country cowardice is not in there.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Must have used a .40 or a 9mm. A 230 gr hydrashok takes them out everytime.

Almost one down and so many more to go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1

Shooting a pit bull should always be justified.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#15]
should of used a shotgun
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Start with yourself
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Start with yourself

Not this loser again....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#18]
12 inch's and only hit 50%...

wow
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Start with yourself

Not this loser again....

You have to admit though, it's a great idea
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Ahhh..if pits are as gentle and docile as a few claim, the officer should have never felt threatened.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#22]
go onto any dogs property/home and watch it become aggresive common sense.

Officer had NO right shooting the dog, maybe i'll walk down the street and shoot everything that looks agressive...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:00:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Here we go...

Pits are "EVIL", Ban them for the Children etc, etc, etc, BLAH BLAH BLAH
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Here we go...

Pits are "EVIL", Ban them for the Children etc, etc, etc, BLAH BLAH BLAH

Nobody said ban.

Just shoot them as you find them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#26]
The tragedy to this story is, the pit bull lived.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#27]
He should have used his 12ga instead of his 9mm.

Good shoot, the dog should be put down.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#28]
OK fuckers, reading is fundamental.

Officer Ryan Bevil had been called to the house for an animal complaint.

In other words, he wasn't wandering through this guys property as a shortcut. He had been summoned to do his job. You know, that thing ya'll bitch about them not doing because the donuts get in the way.

Our animal control officers will not respond to anything not during 0800-1700 unless there is an animal injured. That was not the case here. It then falls to the LEOs to go to the call. He did, and the dog attacked. Seems pretty simple to me.

"He should have sat in his car and called animal control," Oliver said. "He sprayed the dog with mace; of course that was going to agitate him."

I don't know a whole lot of deputies going to sit in their call while on scene at a call because of the mutt in the yard. Again, what if animal control won't respond anyway?

This JBT-hating is going too far. It's fine to call a spade a spade, but some people are just getting whacko with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top