Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 1:31:02 AM EDT
Now before anyone (who the shoe fits ) goes postal on me, im just curious why folks do this? I like many others have news organizations bookmarked on my computer and do actualy look at them.

Now if something is in the news that gets someones attention and has something to add (insight) i see no problem with it. But when someone just copies and pastes it and or copies a link to it, im perplexed as to why?

Do some folks think this is our one and only form of news and internet media?

THIS JUST IN !...........blah blah blah

Now if someone posts something that isnt mainstream media like from Janes or defence weekly (as an example) i see no problem with that because it isnt CNN,FOX,CNBC,ABC, or AP

For the love of all thats holy! please explain to me the necesity?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Because they can...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I get most of my news from ARFcom...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's sad, but true, I do also.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What he said. . .

I'll usually see something here first and then go check it out if it interests me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, we both have Nuge quotes in our sigs...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I get ARFCOM for the articles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:13:09 AM EDT
[#7]
There's headlines, then there's relevant headlines, then there's interesting headlines.

ARFCOM provides the last two. the rest simply don't matter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, who needs news sites like Fox or CNN when you can have arfcom?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Just another reason why ARFcom is a one stop shop.

If you can't find it here you can't find it anywhere.

GM
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:52:05 AM EDT
[#10]
1.  A lot of people here will post news before it ever hits the major networks.  We've got thousands of members who work in all areas of the country.  ARFcommers tend to be more aware of their surroundings than the average sheep - and when they see / hear of something happening, they will often post quickly on the boards.    I.E.  I remember seeing the London bombings posted on here at least 30 minutes before any of the networks carried it.

2.  Many, like me, surf from work.  I can't really watch TV where I'm at, but I surf ARFcom for entertainment most of my shift during down-time.  If I see a post about a major event, I'm then able to turn around, turn on the TV and watch.  (I work at a 911 center, so can't have volume on the TV...so generally pay no attention to it.

3.  A lot of the news posted tends to be localized news that will never see the national media.  So why do we care?  Because if it's posted here, it's usually either humorous, or firearm related.  We know how the media looks at firearms, so it's good to watch and track stories from around the country that most of us would otherwise never hear of.

4.  Finally, when someone posts a news item that is a couple hours/days old from a national source, it may not be to alert us.  It's usually just to get a discussion going about the topic.  That, or post whoring.

Thank you, and good night.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
If you don't like what people post, don't read it.  If you started to read and didn't mean to, by all means, stop!  

I have no problems with people posting news events.  Sagus' post above said it best.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:56:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I was just curious is all, no pissing contest on my part. I too read this for the more obscure and less mainstream info is why i asked. Personaly i get bombarded with the mainstream stuff from the Telivision, newspapers and the like.

Thats why i come to this sight. For relief from the in your face news and the more provacative info.

Oh and i agree some of it seems to be post whoring to me. but not all
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:23:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Some stories might have limited local coverage but might be of interest to folks here ( like the M4 shot counter story I posted last week).
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#14]
WHY DO PEOPLE POST NEWS STORIES?

ARFCOM has special dedicated people who filter out all of the subliminal messages and attempts at brainwashing us through the news media. They work hard to save us from becoming liberal hippy bastards.

Oh and cause CNN is for pussies!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#15]

When i was in HS i had a class called civics.  We talked about current events and other bullshit.  When ever we talked about current events i knew more than everyone in the class including the teacher on what ever event or topic we were talking about.  They all thought i just sat in front of the tv watching the news all night.  ARFCOM is my ONLY news source.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:58:29 AM EDT
[#16]
someone please post the link to the general discussion on september 11.   Thats why.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#17]
People post news here that I don't see anywhere else. I try to contribute to that also. It's one of my favorite reasons to come here.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
1.  A lot of people here will post news before it ever hits the major networks.  We've got thousands of members who work in all areas of the country.  ARFcommers tend to be more aware of their surroundings than the average sheep - and when they see / hear of something happening, they will often post quickly on the boards.    I.E.  I remember seeing the London bombings posted on here at least 30 minutes before any of the networks carried it.

In some cases, they are either there where it is happening or are near enough to see and hear the effects. Sometimes, they know people who are involved and can give a non-filter version of what happened and its effects.

ARFCOMMERs also make some interesting connections between the news and personalities- something which journalists on a deadline have little time for.

ARFCOM's reach- farther than you might think!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#19]
It spares me the trouble of running over to DU to hear what the DUmmies are foaming at the mouth about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:34:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I like when people post headlines because no-graphics AR15COM LITE is one of the only pages I can look at which  wont spark the attention of my boss if he passes by.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:43:09 AM EDT
[#21]

1) I have this page up more then I goto my news bookmarks

2) People like to post news to engage in discussion of current events

3) Some stories posted here are of particular interest to gun owners and may not make all the "headlines" of the major news websites and may be missed.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:50:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank God that there are ARF member who care enough about our great country and our freedoms that they take the little bit of precious time we all have and post valuable news info for all of us that haven't heard to read!!!!
I have in fact retrieved many news items from ARF that I had not even heard about in local or national media!
See ,there are all kinds of people on here whether old ,young ,retired ,ex-military, active duty, Dad's, Mom's,
college students, plumbers, computer geeks ,pilots ,police ,sanitary workers, ETC. you get the idea! and all of these people have different news info that they contibute, thats what is so great about it ! is I am not most of the listed but am always open to what they say and know and have seen or heard! but who am I ? just my $.02
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:55:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I will read about a story here and it will take 1-3 days to hit the mainstream media.

I like looking like a know-it-all in front of friends and family.....

ETA:   Besides, where else are you gonna get a story like this:

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=449841

Nothing like a good ole 3some/extortion story!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#24]
So the topic can be discussed...because this is a discussion forum...of the general variety...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I always check out the news sites in the AM, but I don't wade through all the liberal garbage.  The links that members here post are links that most of us are interested in any ways.  And also from local papers that have stories that wont make the national sites.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Now before anyone (who the shoe fits ) goes postal on me, im just curious why folks do this? I like many others have news organizations bookmarked on my computer and do actualy look at them.

Now if something is in the news that gets someones attention and has something to add (insight) i see no problem with it. But when someone just copies and pastes it and or copies a link to it, im perplexed as to why?

Do some folks think this is our one and only form of news and internet media?

THIS JUST IN !...........blah blah blah

Now if someone posts something that isnt mainstream media like from Janes or defence weekly (as an example) i see no problem with that because it isnt CNN,FOX,CNBC,ABC, or AP

For the love of all thats holy! please explain to me the necesity?

Well see ... People see a news article that they think is interesting and post it, then others discuss it. That's one of the things you do on a discussion forum.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#28]
So we can DISCUSS the news  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Spurs debate.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#30]
WhY dO pEopLe (mOStLy yOUngEr) MIx CapItaL aND lOWer CAsE lEtTeRs iN tHEir USEr nAMe ?

(just wonderin')
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Because they can...

+1

Get over it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top