Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/27/2006 8:37:28 PM EDT
To learn to play piano very well. Well enough that my mum can take me to a piano store and select a random piece from Chopin or Beethovan, and I have to be able to play it. If I can, and play it well, she says she will let me choose a baby grand piano, and she will by it for me as a graduation gift. (This of course depends on me getting my bachelor's degree within 2 years) Any experianced pianists on ARFCOM? Is it really possible to learn to play that well, that fast, if your juggling it with sports, a job, and college? If not, I might have to quit my job.

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:40:51 PM EDT
good luck! i never got into music, but i'd imagine you can learn in 2 years!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:41:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 8:41:52 PM EDT by Defcon]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:42:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Defcon:
Just what every free-wheelin college grad needs. A Piano!!!! Now when you move 4 times in the next 2 years, you can lug it around with you. That should be good time.

Thanks mom, but I would prefer a kick in the nutz.

good point. take the 5k and buy a .50 Barret. piss of a libtard
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:55:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 8:57:56 PM EDT by The_Friendly_Sponge]

Originally Posted By RockHard13F:
To learn to play piano very well. Well enough that my mum can take me to a piano store and select a random piece from Chopin or Beethovan, and I have to be able to play it. If I can, and play it well, she says she will let me choose a baby grand piano, and she will by it for me as a graduation gift. (This of course depends on me getting my bachelor's degree within 2 years) Any experianced pianists on ARFCOM? Is it really possible to learn to play that well, that fast, if your juggling it with sports, a job, and college? If not, I might have to quit my job.

-Ben

I've played piano for, what?, 35 years now (started when I was eight). Up till this last year I've played keyboards in classic rock/party bands for the last 20+ years. I've been around a piano, or two...

What you're asking is very ambitious, but probably doable. There is a direct correlation between the time and energy you put into lessons/practice and your abilities. If you are willing to practice one quality hour a day, every single day, you may just find that you can achieve your goal. Natural talent really helps, but hard work is more important.

To my knowledge, my mom has never played an instrument in her life. She retired, bought a Yamaha console piano about a year ago and practices 3-4 hours a day (driving my dad nuts). Given her fantastic progress to date, I dare say she'll achieve something similar to your goal by the time she hits the two year mark. BTW, she's 67. You're far younger, and therefore, ought to be able to create muscle memory more easily/quicker.

Question is, are you willing to practice like a mad man?

P.S. Chicks dig musicians...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:03:19 PM EDT
of course it's possible, here is a video of me after one week:

gprime.net/video/blindfoldedmariopianist2.php
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:09:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:

Originally Posted By Defcon:
Just what every free-wheelin college grad needs. A Piano!!!! Now when you move 4 times in the next 2 years, you can lug it around with you. That should be good time.

Thanks mom, but I would prefer a kick in the nutz.

good point. take the 5k and buy a .50 Barret. piss of a libtard

The piano in question which she would be buying costs closer to 50k dollars, and it was piano or nothing, as she has 7 kids and has always wanted at least one to be a musician.

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:12:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By david_g17:
of course it's possible, here is a video of me after one week:

gprime.net/video/blindfoldedmariopianist2.php

I still have it playing...that kid is fuckin' awesome!!!!
Top Top