Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 8:14:09 PM EDT
Do the same things apply today, as they did in ww2? coudlnt a solder coming back from iraq take a civilian legal weapon back with him? Like this 1911
It says it was destroyed. Why woudnt a soldier take that as spoils of war or does it being US property effect it somehow?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
nope.  totally different military.  you'd probably get in more trouble rolling a haji who was just shooting at you than if you robbed someone on the street in the US.

you cant take shit home (legally) anymore.  not to say that guys don't take stuff home
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
They are buttholes about bringing home stuff. You can't even bring back rocks from an Iraqi palace.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn I would like some rock chunks from a Sadam palace to put by the fish pond to rest my feet on. Or even better I had had a pig farm to let the pigs scratch on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They are buttholes about bringing home stuff. You can't even bring back rocks from an Iraqi palace.

I don't think I've heard someone called a "butthole" since 8th grade.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a military museum at Camp Ripley, Minnesota, that I go to once in a while. One of the many, many displays is a little bowl of sand from Iraq from Desert Storm. The caption below it said that the sand in the bowl had to be scraped/scavenged from the tracks of an APC, since nobody was even allowed to bring back something as trivial as a pinch of sand.

Far be it from me to criticize the US Military, but that is absolutely, totally, and unarguably ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
who the hell makes these rules
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Lawyers, who else?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lawyers, who else?

Fuck I can bring you all the sand you want..  I know guys that collect rocks, sand, dirt from every place they have been.  That desert sand isnt even like sand, more like dry dirt that gets into everything, including your ears.  

I think the big deal with soil or dirt of any type is agricultural.  Customs fears you will bring a nonnative and harmful bug here.  I learned this during my military customs inspector class.  BTW yu are not allowed to bring sand from Hawaii to the mainland USA either.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]
What was an Iraqi doing with a 1911 in Iraq? Doesn't he know that only a Glock can stand up to such conditions, and that 1911s are pieces of crap?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
They wouldn't let us bring squat back after GW1.   Moreover, there were some asswipes a few days ahead of us that got caught with ordnance and some ears  yes fucking cut off ears.  They didn't give us the benefit of the doubt..........we had to dump everything on the tarmac prior to loading it on the freedom bird.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Anything stopping a civilian contractor friend in IRAQ from sending something (legal) home in a package?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
BTW yu are not allowed to bring sand from Hawaii to the mainland USA either.

I think this is from a rerun of the Brady Bunch in Hawaii...

There's a certain Medina billionaire who has monthly shipments of Hawaiian sand poured onto his private beach here in Seattle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW yu are not allowed to bring sand from Hawaii to the mainland USA either.

I think this is from a rerun of the Brady Bunch in Hawaii...

There's a certain Medina billionaire who has monthly shipments of Hawaiian sand poured onto his private beach here in Seattle.

Signs all over the place if you look.  Maybe he gets it though some way that it is strerilized.

Thank the media for ruining the spoils of war thing..    
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What was an Iraqi doing with a 1911 in Iraq? Doesn't he know that only a Glock can stand up to such conditions, and that 1911s are pieces of crap?

1911s are crap?! Blasphemy!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lawyers, who else?

Barracks Lawyers, or Flight Line Lawyers. When I was coming back from Iraq we had the customs check in Kuwait before we got on the civilian bird home. I had two ak bayonets with me and had no problems. One of my guys had one ak bayonet and the AF NCO checking his shit made him throw it in the amnesty box.  When I found out I tracked down an AF LT to set the NCO straight, but we didn't have time to find whoever had the lock to the amnesty box and my guy ended up losing his bayonet. (I have a baseless suspicion that a certain person with a fondness for blue suits got that bayonet.)

I AM NOT BASHING THE AIR FORCE, JUST THESE MORONS IN KUWAIT.hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

IIRC, this is based on international agreement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think I've heard someone called a "butthole" since 8th grade.

Me neither. Kinda refreshing after all these years of "asshole" this, and "asshole" that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top