Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:29:46 AM EDT

I agree Walmart is selling mostly stuff from china but where else can you buy the things you need from an American friendly store?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
you can still buy stuff at WM.  just look for the "made in" tag.  if it doesnt have one, assume china and continue shopping.  that's what i do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
you can still buy stuff at WM.  just look for the "made in" tag.  if it doesnt have one, assume china and continue shopping.  that's what i do.

What he said.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I agree Walmart is selling mostly stuff from china but where else can you buy the things you need from an American friendly store?

Define..."things you need"?
From what I can tell, Walmart, and similar stores sell a whole lot of "things you want".
People dont 'need' an awful lot of things. The things a person does actually 'need' are pretty easy to find, although in some cases, the 'Made In America' tag will cost more. Its a matter of economics....12 year olds in Indonesia work for less than middle class American adults. If American goods are more important than money, then buy them. If price is a factor, one has to make concessions. Cant have it both ways.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Fuck it - Go Amish. Make all of your own shit.

You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would anyone want to buy anything from one of the most successful American companies of all time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I can tell, Walmart, and similar stores sell a whole lot of "things you want".
People dont 'need' an awful lot of things. The things a person does actually 'need' are pretty easy to find, although in some cases, the 'Made In America' tag will cost more. Its a matter of economics....12 year olds in Indonesia work for less than middle class American adults. If American goods are more important than money, then buy them. If price is a factor, one has to make concessions. Cant have it both ways.

12 year olds in indonesia work for less + transportation across the planet + trade tariffs <<< cost of a domestic product.

In America, we have unions, lawyers, insurance, and other costs that raise the bottom line.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

12 year olds in indonesia work for less + transportation across the planet + trade tariffs <<< cost of a domestic product.

In America, we have unions, lawyers, insurance, and other costs that raise the bottom line.

It amazing when you think about that fact....it costs less to build a plant in another country, manufacture the product, then ship it 10,000 miles than it would to just make it here. Really says a lot about the quality of living here in this country. We pay $30k a year to people that would make $3 a day in the east for the same exact work...and with zero benefits, longer days, and worse conditions.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Target, I live about 1 mile from one and it gets a lot of my business.  I recently discovered the wonders of $20 shoes, cheap t shirts, Fancy Feast cat food, and other goodies from them.    Made in China? So fucking what? Sold in the USA by USA citizens, profits go to Target, a USA company.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Fuck it - Go Amish. Make all of your own shit.
pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1290/4535815/9548495/135534746.jpg
You won't be sorry.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Once upon a time....before there was Wal Mart....there were other stores.

We used to shop in them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why would anyone want to buy anything from one of the most successful American companies of all time.

Because they pass on their business costs to the tax payer?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they pass on their business costs to the tax payer?

All business costs are passed on to their customers.  Duh.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top