Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/25/2006 7:47:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 8:22:09 PM EDT by natedog375]
I love bait and switch thread titles.

Anyways,

I'm looking at UT Austin as a prospective college to apply to in the fall. Any advice from students/alumni? I take all AP/Honors courses, and have about a 3.8 GPA from all 3 years, with about a 4.0-4.2 this year, and I scored 1820 on the SAT (going to retake). What are my chances for acceptance?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:10:38 PM EDT
It's a good place to go. I'm not a UT grad. The campus is nice, but there are a lot of weirdos, and it is fairly liberal at UT Austin, and the surrounding area of the city. There's a decent group of ARFCOMmers here. There's shooting matches not too far away, there are a few ranges not too far away either.

Oh... LOTS of hotties down there. I mean, TONS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:23:35 AM EDT
Bump for Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 11:32:53 AM EDT by steady]
No-

but over to the west of Austin, I still Gig 'em, TAMU Class of 84
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:33:54 PM EDT
My GF got her doctorate there. She says with your academic record you shouldn't have much of a problem but ultimately you won't know until you apply!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:24:51 PM EDT
Could anyone reccomend any other strong academic schools with good petroleum engineering programs?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:31:53 PM EDT
Nate,

The 3 best schools in Texas are:

Trinity University-San Antonio
UT Austin
aTm

HH
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:44:23 PM EDT
Yes it is a good record, but if you are not top 10% it is tough to get into TX public school.

Top 10% is assured admission to public schools. That does not leave much room for the other 90% of students.

Most of these top 10% from Podunk High wash out in the first two years, so you can easily get in Sophmore or Junior year. The absolute best value in education right now is community college. Two years there then transfer. The degree reads the same.

If you are good enough or lucky enough to be in top 10% congratulations.

Good luck with school!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:48:08 PM EDT

Could anyone reccomend any other strong academic schools with good petroleum engineering programs?




Texas Tech is a good conservative school. I guess if you can call any public school conservative.

They have petroleum engineering. Here is the link to their department.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/peweb/

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:56:42 PM EDT
10% in your high school class, or in the top 10 percentile of all applicants?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:57:43 PM EDT
I don't know if you are interested in schools outside of TX but OU has an awesome PE program. It's one of the top schools in the country. I have several friends in the program and they like it a lot. There is a ton of money donated to the school so scholarships are easy to come by and you are pretty much guaranteed internships and employment after you graduate.

mpge.ou.edu/

And yes, UT does suckhug.gif
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:36:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By natedog375:
10% in your high school class, or in the top 10 percentile of all applicants?



Top 10% of your class.

But come over the A&M. It's a whole lot better :)
Top Top