Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/25/2006 6:11:25 PM EDT
Been looking for a place like ARF, but for cabin building.
All I seem to find is builders and places to buy logs.
So anyone?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:13:09 PM EDT
funny, I was looking for cabins today too.

It looks like they are pretty damned expensive, and they can have lots leaks too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:17:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:26:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:
funny, I was looking for cabins today too.

It looks like they are pretty damned expensive, and they can have lots leaks too.

Was at Home Depot today renting a chainsaw (BTW Tonster -1 Trees -0) and I saw the "cabins" they can build for you...Really just a plywood shell loft style building. I looked at the structure and it doesn't look that hard.
So here we are.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:32:07 PM EDT
ya, I was on ebay looking for real estate and stumbled upon a log cabin maker. $69k for a "shell', you still have to do the:

foundation
log sealant
roof
electric
plumbing
wi­ndows
doors
interior walls
interior paint
drywall
roof insulation
fixtures
kitting

so in the end, your 1000 sq ft log cabin will cost around $200k...about twice of what a stick built will cost.

BUT, if you have some good cedar trees and lots of time on your hands then you may have a good deal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:32:19 PM EDT
There are a number of manufacturers who have log home 'systems' available for sale.

If you are looking to DIY for bug-out or whatever, you might at least gain inspiration from examples of the pre-cut construction.

Ask yourself though: do you want to find, cut, dry (for about a year), stack, chink, and perform finish work on a complete cabin?

If you are building a retirement/vacation home, call one of those dealers, the truck shows up, you get a contractor to stack those heavy SOB's, sign the bill and call it a day.

Oh, and if you are building in western NC: whatever you think it will cost, however long you think it will take--double it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:43:07 PM EDT
google cabin kits.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:52:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 6:53:38 PM EDT by jrzy]
Top Top