Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 9:59:26 AM EDT
So I'm sitting on the couch eating my Taco Bell and watching the spring training game between the Dodgers and the Cardinals. The announcers are talking about never judging someone by there appearance. They were talking about David Eckstein, Cardinals short stop, when one of the brillant announcers starts telling the story about how Mr Rogers was a war hero and Navy Seal, and had to wear sweaters because of all his tats. I about spit out my Dr Pepper. Just thought I'd inform you that the so called rumor IS true

EDIT: I KNOW ITS FALSE. I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY THAT AN ANNOUNCER ACTUALLY SAID IT ON TV. Nobody has a sense of humor today?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm gonna need more proof. I new he was hiding something. Him and the little hand puppets.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#3]
"Fred Rogers served as a sniper or as a Navy Seal during the Vietnam War, with a large number of confirmed kills to his credit.

This same rumor has often been applied to boyish country singer-songwriter John Denver (among others), and it's just as false when told of Fred Rogers. Not only did Fred Rogers never serve in the military, there are no gaps in his career when he could conceivably have served in the military — he went straight into college after high school, he moved directly into TV work after graduating college, and his breaks from television work were devoted to attending the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963) and the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Child Development. Moreover, Fred Rogers was born in 1928 and was therefore too old to have enlisted in the armed services by the time of America's military involvement in Vietnam. "

www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Umm, yes I'm aware  its false. I posted this because if baseball announcers say its true, it must be true. I guess my sarcasm didnt come across very well in the post. Read "brillant" announcers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#5]
www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

Fred Rogers served as a sniper or as a Navy Seal during the Vietnam War, with a large number of confirmed kills to his credit.

This same rumor has often been applied to boyish country singer-songwriter John Denver (among others), and it's just as false when told of Fred Rogers. Not only did Fred Rogers never serve in the military, there are no gaps in his career when he could conceivably have served in the military — he went straight into college after high school, he moved directly into TV work after graduating college, and his breaks from television work were devoted to attending the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963) and the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Child Development. Moreover, Fred Rogers was born in 1928 and was therefore too old to have enlisted in the armed services by the time of America's military involvement in Vietnam.

Fred Rogers always wore long-sleeved shirts and sweaters on his show to conceal the tattoos on his arms he obtained while serving in the military.

As noted above, Fred Rogers never served in the military, and he bore no tattoos on his arms (or any other part of his body). He wore long-sleeved shirts and sweaters on his show to maintain an air of formality — although he was friendly with the children in his viewing audience and talked to them on their own level, he was most definitely an authority figure on a par with parents and teachers (he was Mister Rogers to them, after all, not Fred), and his choice of dress was intended to establish and foster that relationship.  

ETA: damn, I'm slow to post.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Some of you guys need to get your sarcasm detectors re-calibrated, as the OP was being sarcastic when he posted.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"Fred Rogers served as a sniper or as a Navy Seal during the Vietnam War, with a large number of confirmed kills to his credit.

This same rumor has often been applied to boyish country singer-songwriter John Denver (among others), and it's just as false when told of Fred Rogers. Not only did Fred Rogers never serve in the military, there are no gaps in his career when he could conceivably have served in the military  — he went straight into college after high school, he moved directly into TV work after graduating college, and his breaks from television work were devoted to attending the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963) and the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Child Development. Moreover, Fred Rogers was born in 1928 and was therefore too old to have enlisted in the armed services by the time of America's military involvement in Vietnam. "

That's because it's CLASSIFIED. It was all a part of his cover, and deniability.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This same rumor has often been applied to boyish country singer-songwriter John Denver (among others), and it's just as false when told of Fred Rogers. Not only did Fred Rogers never serve in the military, there are no gaps in his career when he could conceivably have served in the military  — he went straight into college after high school, he moved directly into TV work after graduating college, and his breaks from television work were devoted to attending the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963) and the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Child Development. Moreover, Fred Rogers was born in 1928 and was therefore too old to have enlisted in the armed services by the time of America's military involvement in Vietnam. "

That's because it's CLASSIFIED. It was all a part of his cover, and deniability.

No kidding.  Jeez guys.  You don't build a trained killer then leave a confirmable paper trail.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top