Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/25/2006 5:19:16 AM EDT
My girlfriend recently got a ticket for speeding. She has heard that if you send in a money order for a small amount over the amount of the ticket (say 50 cents or a dollar) that the ticket will not go on your insurance record because the paperwork required to give you your change back is too extensive. Is this just a rumor he said she said or is there any truth to this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:20:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:22:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:26:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 5:29:11 AM EDT by SubnetMask]

I don't have the energy to visit Snopes, as my coffee isn't done brewing yet. Tell your girlfirend SubnetMask on ar15.com says "Bullshit".
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:28:07 AM EDT
Rumor has it if you send in .50 under the amount, you get a warrant issued for your arrest
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:31:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By falaholic1:
Rumor has it if you send in .50 under the amount, you get a warrant issued for your arrest

Good One!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:33:12 AM EDT
Id be willing to bet they would look at the "extra" as a Donation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:38:28 AM EDT
See if you can get the ticket deferred before the court date if she has no other violations on her record. If that doesn't work, she might be eligible for traffic school which would wipe the ticket off her record and save her the points. Also, you can show up at court with a lawyer and request a trial. Usually the judge will drop it down to almost nothing or dismiss the charges to save the trouble of a trial over a traffic ticket.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:42:07 AM EDT

That would be true.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:43:26 AM EDT

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:57:59 AM EDT
In most places if you go to traffic scholl your insurance company doesnt find out about the ticket.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:27:28 AM EDT
Consider the traffic school option, I have used it twice and the tickets basically just disappear, at least that's how it worked in Florida. Hell at one time Blockbuster had a traffic video you could rent, watch it, take a little online or telephone test, and just mail the receipt for the rental in with a fee and your test results and that wiped out the ticket and the points.

I have gotten 5 speeding tickets in my driving career, the last one 6 years ago. Two in Florida where I went to the traffic school instead of paying the fine and they never showed on my driving record or affected my insurance. Two were in Georgia, I just paid the fine and they never showed up on my Florida driving record. The only ticket that shows up on my record (I just got a complete extract from DHSMV a few months ago) was the last one I got from 1999 (61 in a 55) and I got it 5 days before I left for bootcamp, just dropped a $38 check in the mail and did nothing else so it is the only one that I am credited for in the State's eyes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:30:54 AM EDT
I think she heard a twisted version of the rumor.

If you send in some extra money, they'll have to send you a refund. If you don't cash their check in, the transaction is not complete and they can not put points on your record. However, you'll have proof of payment and no warrant.

I honestly have no idea who came up with that, but I would just bend over and pay it. Remain low on the radar screen.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:34:39 AM EDT
As a police officer, my response is- You've got to be kidding
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:35:27 AM EDT
Most cops wont give a ticket to a doc for minor stuff.

It also helps if you have delivered multiple babies for guys in the department.

ARDOC: Hey, Bob, sorry for speeding but I got to get to the hospital for a delivery.

Officer Bob: No prob doc, becareful and see ya.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:28:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

That would be true.

In Florida IIRC they just suspend your DL for Non-Payment
Top Top