Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 9:31:51 PM EDT
Marine Sniper: The Story of Carlos Hathcock

Starring R. Lee Ermy.

Used to be a time when we actually made movies about guys like Audie Murphy and Alvin York.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Starring R. Lee Ermy.

Used to be a time when we actually made movies about guys like Audie Murphy and Alvin York.

gunny did sort of look like him when he was younger
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I always thought a 6hr long, $1 billion budget Red Storm Rising would be the best movie ever made.

When I read that book ten or fifteen years ago I thought the same thing. The movie would be too big in scope, however (although today's CGI could handle it rather easily).

I hate CGI, however.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Movie - Unintended Consequences
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Better as a mini series, 3 generations of Bowman's.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Enemies, Foreign and Domestic.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd take some fiction with a Bob (or Earl) Swagger story
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Given the latest trends in ollywood, where they're proud to contemptuously differ from their audience, I doubt this would ever get made.

Unless maybe Hathcock was re-written as being gay.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:51:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Given the latest trends in ollywood, where they're proud to contemptuously differ from their audience, I doubt this would ever get made.

Brokeback Hamburger Hill
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:54:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brokeback Hamburger Hill

Kind of thing that would happen these days...

Edited: damn I got too used to homie-typing...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:10:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And that right there is why Hollywood will become less and less relevant in the coming years. If they keep jamming shit down our throats that we don't want to see, and people don't go to the theatres anymore (this is already happening), then I guess Hollywood will have to scale down. They are not going to want to pay some shithead actor millions of dollars if they can't recoup their investment. As CGI ramps up, there will eventually be no need for "actors" anymore. Not for movies anyway.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Getting back to the original topic before the gay hijacking -

Quoted:

Quoted:

Starring R. Lee Ermy.

Where do you guys come up with this dumb crap?  I knew Carlos, and Lee Ermy neither looks anything like Hathcock, nor acts remotely like him.  What you guys are proposing is like getting Denis Leary to play The Pope.  Sorry, I don't mean to be cranky, but after watching Carlos whither away and die from MS it really pisses me off to see know-nothings sully his memory.  Carlos was so soft-spoken you had to lean into him to hear what he was saying.  And he was so low key if you met him without reading "the book" you would have absolutely no idea of the things he accomplished.  He was a total and complete wallflower, but when it came time to do things he just did them with no fanfare and no shouting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Getting back to the original topic before the gay hijacking -

Quoted:

Quoted:

Starring R. Lee Ermy.

Where do you guys come up with this dumb crap?  I knew Carlos, and Lee Ermy neither looks anything like Hathcock, nor acts remotely like him.  What you guys are proposing is like getting Denis Leary to play The Pope.  Sorry, I don't mean to be cranky, but after watching Carlos whither away and die from MS it really pisses me off to see know-nothings sully his memory.  Carlos was so soft-spoken you had to lean into him to hear what he was saying.  And he was so low key if you met him without reading "the book" you would have absolutely no idea of the things he accomplished.  He was a total and complete wallflower, but when it came time to do things he just did them with no fanfare and no shouting.

I suggested Lee Ermy because he is one of the FEW actors who would be coming from a USMC background and would give the part the dignity and consideration it deserves.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I suggested Lee Ermy because he is one of the FEW actors who would be coming from a USMC background and would give the part the dignity and consideration it deserves.

Not every Marine in the world is like Lee Ermy.  Morphing Carlos Hathcock into Sgt. Hartman would be a slap in the face of the soft-spoken sniper.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I always thought a 6hr long, $1 billion budget Red Storm Rising would be the best movie ever made.

Brother, ain't that the truth!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm gonna have to go with "Point of Impact" by Stephen Hunter.

With Old_Painless starring as Bob Lee Swagger.

"Mornin', Pork."

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not every Marine in the world is like Lee Ermy.  Morphing Carlos Hathcock into Sgt. Hartman would be a slap in the face of the soft-spoken sniper.

With all due respect to you and Mr. Hathcock......actors act. They get paid to act like others. If they make you believe they are someone else, they win awards [insert Jamie Fox pretending to be Ray Charles]

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Red Storm Rising would be awesome, but probably have to be closer to a 10 hour series like Band of Brothers. I would LOVE to see that.

Likeing the idea of C. Hathcock too, I think Gunny could pull it off
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Patriots for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Lucifer's Hammer...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Apparently Tom Berringer in SNIPER doesn't qualify for this?  Some of the action scenes were fresh from 93 confirmed ...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Hunter's "Point Of Impact" would be a good one but Clancy's "Without Remorse" would be fuggin' awesome, IF it wasn't screwed up like "Sum Of All Fears".
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Lucifer's Hammer...

That would be sweet!! I read that book back in Middle School, then picked it up years later to read it again!!  Kick-ass SHTF story as well!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Starring R. Lee Ermy.

a movie like that would be labeled racist/xenophobic/jingoistic/ect
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Lucifer's Hammer...

That would be a long movie if they followed the book.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who said he would be doing Sgt. Hartman?

Again, I suggested him because he would approach the project with the RESPECT it would deserve.

You did know Ermy has done more roles than just FMJ right? I wasn't suggesting a "DI Sniper."
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Again, I suggested him because he would approach the project with the RESPECT it would deserve.

You did know Ermy has done more roles than just FMJ right? I wasn't suggesting a "DI Sniper."

you should see him in Saving Silverman  that last scene will be burned onto my retinas for the rest of my life
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I have always wanted to see a film portray the professional attitude and the outright skill of Carlos Norman Hathcock II. Reading Marine Sniper and Silent Warrior was pretty damn amazing. And an ACCURATE screen adaptation would blow Tommy B. off the map.

But, to do it right you need cash. And sadly the people that have it would fuck the movie up so bad I'd hate myself for having even suggested it.

MAYBE Mel Gibson could do it right if he read the books a number of times each, and had both numerous Marine Corp Snipers and friends and family of Mr. Hathcock on set to make sure things came out as honest and accuratly as possible.

If they did it right you would have people crying in thier seat the night the Apache did her work on that your Marine, amazed when the Cobra met his end, and silent as a stone when the 3 day crawl took place. As long as they stayed true to Hathcock it would turn out great.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you should see him in Saving Silverman  that last scene will be burned onto my retinas for the rest of my life

Go down there and chop her head off or somethin!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top