Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Why do foreigners think Americans are "arrogant"?

Because forgeiners are lowly, insignificant, weaklings with deservedly low self esteem and they know that we are smarter, stronger, braver, heartier and just plain better than them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It's all Alan Greenspans's fault.

No seriously, fuck what the foreigner's think.  We've moved on to the more intelligent life in outer space anyways.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before you read this please note: I am pro-American and am just trying to explain the attitudes of others.  This post is for educational purposes only!

<SNIP>

I think everything you said was completely fair, valid, and true.

About the resource use, though, something should be realized.  A real cheap point is made that even thought there are 300m Americans (5% ofthe global population), we consume 25% of the resources, at least.

No consideration is made of what we do with those resources.  We're very efficient and productive with them.

As for propping up amenable dictators, we get a lot more crap for getting rid of easily accomodated a-holes like Saddam!

Yes, you are, generally, efficient, and you did, usually buy those resorces fair and square, and yes, you do get shat upon for removing said dictators. All this comes down to point 1:

1) The US is the biggest, most successful target
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:
We ARE arrogant.

quote]

Arrogant is not a good thing, stop showing ignorance........now we have to define that word....

try a synonym:

arrogant
Part of Speech:   adjective
Definition:   egotistic
Synonyms:   aloof, assuming, audacious, autocratic, biggety, boastful, bossy, bragging, cavalier, cheeky, cocky, cold shoulder, condescending, conceited, contemptuous, cool, dictatorial, disdainful, domineering, ego trip, egotistic, haughty, high-handed, imperious, insolent, know-it-all, lordly, overbearing, peremptory, pompous, presumptuous, pretentious, proud, puffed up, scornful, self-important, smarty, smug, sniffy, snippy, snooty, snotty, stuck up, supercilious, superior, swaggering, uppity, vain

This is from someone who was called arrogant in while in the military by a friend, I too thought it was something to be proud of.  Took a while to get that under control but ,while still good at what I do, I work at not being arrogant about it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you saw the way some Americans behave when they are in some other country, you might understand.  

My wife and I took a tour of Britan, Scotland, Germany, and Prauge for about three weeks.  I know what you mean.  I would run into some other Americans and I thought that they were rather loud and obnoxious.

Then, I realized something......they were all yankees!  I was glad I could spread the Southern hospitality and help better the image of my fellow countrymen.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's part of it, so is overbearing self confidence, and so is jelousy. The US absorbs alot of the world's resources, is amazingly rich, and unchallengably powerful. That breeds resentment, especially if you are on the wrong end of that power and wealth. Sometimes all some parts of the world see of America are rapacious companies or occupying troops. US companies prop up tin pot oppressive dictators, strip natural resources from local tribes without just compensation and a whole bunch of other nasty things. However, so do other country's companies.

Very likely.

That and "they're" tired of dealing with our shit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Arrogant is not a good thing, stop showing ignorance........now we have to define that word....

try a synonym:

arrogant
Synonyms:   aloof, assuming, audacious, autocratic, biggetry, boastful, bossy, bragging, cavalier, cheeky, cocky, cold shoulder, condescending, conceited, contemptuous, cool, dictatorial, disdainful, domineering, ego trip, egotistic, haughty, high-handed, imperious, insolent, know-it-all, lordly, overbearing, peremptory, pompous, presumptuous, pretentious, proud, puffed up, scornful, self-important, smarty, smug, sniffy, snippy, snooty, snotty, stuck up, supercilious, superior, swaggering, uppity, vain

This is from someone who was called arrogant in while in the military by a friend, I too thought it was something to be proud of.  Took a while to get that under control but ,while still good at what I do, I work at not being arrogant about it.

It is not arrogance if you can do it.  If we can do it , who should we be apologetic to?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you saw the way some Americans behave when they are in some other country, you might understand.  

I would run into some other Americans and I thought that they were rather loud and obnoxious.

Then, I realized something......they were all yankees!  

In my travels it is embarassing to see how some of our fellow citizens act.... The thing is they wouldn't dare act that way back home. I sometimes go up to them, chat a bit and the tell them they are making an ass of themselves and would they knock it of.  Quietly of course , it like someone turned the light on and they get embrassed , and start acting like normal people again, except for the really stupid drunk backward fool who doesn't think a brown skin person should them him anything, anywhere. Only happen twice that was fun, at least for me....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

try a synonym:

arrogant
Synonyms:   aloof, assuming, audacious, autocratic, biggetry, boastful, bossy, bragging, cavalier, cheeky, cocky, cold shoulder, condescending, conceited, contemptuous, cool, dictatorial, disdainful, domineering, ego trip, egotistic, haughty, high-handed, imperious, insolent, know-it-all, lordly, overbearing, peremptory, pompous, presumptuous, pretentious, proud, puffed up, scornful, self-important, smarty, smug, sniffy, snippy, snooty, snotty, stuck up, supercilious, superior, swaggering, uppity, vain

It is not arrogance if you can do it.

If we can do it , who should be apologetic to?

It's still arrogance if you can do it. You can be good and humble at the same time, and it helps people recognise your talents alot better. You also have to fight them less.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
because we are that fucking good!  Seriously we can fuck up any country in a matter of days.

And it only took us 200 years to fuck up our own country...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]

It is not arrogance if you can do it.

If we can do it , who should be apologetic to?

No one, but being arrogant is not the way to act. An overbearing pride is never something to rub into other peoples face. You end up being your own worst enemy, self destructive and allienated with no one willing to follow you.

If self confidence and self assuance in ones ability is displayed properly you will be a leader and others will follow .

Look at some of the Antonyms:   humble, modest, self-effacing, unconceited . Nothing wrong with these character traits, hope my children have them and are the best at whatever they do. I don't want arrogant children.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's still arrogance if you can do it. You can be good and humble at the same time, and it helps people recognise your talents alot better. You also have to fight them less.

No child left behind eh?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a lot of friends from European counties, mainly Germany.  Some of them say that we are arrogant because we are very proud of our country.  In Germany, if one flies a German flag at their house they are called a Nazi. IMO, when they come to America and see our pride they get jealous.  They want to have pride in their country, but cant.  So yeah, we might be arrogant, but look who copies who.  They are very Americanized (especially Germans) because they like our music, TV, movies, books, food, and sports, so we get the last laugh every time they talk shit about us.                                            
                                                                    NorseBoy                        
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Pride can be a good quality and a bad quality, depends on how you use it.

pride    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (prd)
n.
A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.
Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession, or association: parental pride.
Arrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment; haughtiness.

A cause or source of pleasure or satisfaction; the best of a group or class: These soldiers were their country's pride.
The most successful or thriving condition; prime: the pride of youth.
An excessively high opinion of oneself; conceit.

ETA: another word used to describe a misuse of pride:
superbia

n : unreasonable and inordinate self-esteem (personified as one of the deadly sins) [syn: pride]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Because chicks dig us and men fear us.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
because we are that fucking good!  Seriously we can fuck up any country in a matter of days.

Then along came Reagan and fixed all that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah!!!!

But along came Bill...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah!!!!

But along came Bill...

In more ways than one...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Like the English, French and Germans were never
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No child left behind eh?

Huh? All I know is that "No CHild Left Behind" is a great way to un-good your country really fast.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah!!!!

But along came Bill...

In more ways than one...

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I thought China had mooved ahead as the worlds largest polluter.

They have but the Liberals are trying their best to cover that up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So because the losers act that way, it's OK for us to act that way????

I hope we are able to rise above what they do!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kyoto accord!!  Blame America
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
We ARE arrogant.

quote]

try a synonym:

arrogant
Synonyms:   aloof, assuming, audacious, autocratic, biggety, boastful, bossy, bragging, cavalier, cheeky, cocky, cold shoulder, condescending, conceited, contemptuous, cool, dictatorial, disdainful, domineering, ego trip, egotistic, haughty, high-handed, imperious, insolent, know-it-all, lordly, overbearing, peremptory, pompous, presumptuous, pretentious, proud, puffed up, scornful, self-important, smarty, smug, sniffy, snippy, snooty, snotty, stuck up, supercilious, superior, swaggering, uppity, vain

Ok, I pick cool
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
We ARE arrogant.

quote]

try a synonym:

arrogant

Ok, I pick cool

That pretty good, I didn't make the list, that is good though.

ETA: This could go on forever.....
OK good or bad cool?

cool    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (kl)
adj. cool·er, cool·est

1)Marked by calm self-control

2)Marked by indifference, disdain, or dislike; unfriendly or unresponsive
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kyoto accord!!  Blame America

Yeah, that doesn't help. Funny how no one hammers China and India for not signing because they're "developing"

We get hammer 'cause we didn't sign it either
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#28]
It's the in thing to do?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If your country sucked you would want to focus  globally also.

Oh Damn !!!!!! Elegant in it's simplicity yet fucking savage. I applaud you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel that we have risen above what they do/did.  Didn't see them (europeans)acting too quickly to put down the recent ethnic cleansing in the Balkans did we???????? Or how about the ethnic cleansing currently going on in Sudan.  France is proping up the Sudanese gov't for oil.  That is real blood for oil.

If the USA was even a fraction as brutal or overbearing as others have been in the past  people would really have something to cry about.   Now, because they no longer are top dog they point at us.   France is currently going through a time where they feel very put upon by much of the world because they arr irrelevant in world affairs.  They know they cannot justify their position on the UN Security Council.  Look at how Chirac walked out of the EU Economic Summit this week because English was spoken........OHHHHH HOW HUMBLE

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:03:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Chirac upset over English use
03/24/06 - 03:05 PM
BRUSSELS, Mar 24, 2006 (UPI via COMTEX) -- French President Jacques Chirac, reportedly irate over a French industrialist's comment in English, left a gathering of European Union leaders in Brussels.

Chirac's symbolic gesture was in response to the French expert switching to English after saying it is "the language of business," reports the EU Observer. The meeting had been called to discuss Europe's economic problems.

The report said the comment was made by Ernest-Antoine Seillière, head of the Unice employers organization, who called on the leaders in English to "resist national protectionism in order to avoid a negative domino effect."

France already is facing mounting criticism over its protectionist policies and "economic nationalism." Chirac, who returned after Seilliere's speech, has claimed his country is "one of the freest" in Europe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:07:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Nah, most europeans dont think americans are arrogant, most europeans think the french are arrogant .

I for one certainly appreciate USA's position as a world power. If America would stop projecting its power in the world and instead adopt a policy of political isolation, russian tanks would start rolling over the borders of my country right now, chinese cruise missiles would slam into Taiwan right now etc. etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#34]
As a non American who has has a lot of contact with Y'all I'd only go so far as to say that "some" Americans are arrogant, but that goes for every nationality on earth...
For the most part the Americans I've met have been regular normal decent folks...
The ones who were a**holes would probably been as such no matter where they had been born.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#35]
We're not arrogant... we actually ARE better than everyone else. It's a fact.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife and I took a tour of Britan, Scotland, Germany, and Prauge for about three weeks.  I know what you mean.  I would run into some other Americans and I thought that they were rather loud and obnoxious.

Then, I realized something......they were all yankees!  I was glad I could spread the Southern hospitality and help better the image of my fellow countrymen.  

Amen brother, they act the same way when they visit down south!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:36:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
We ARE arrogant.

+1

A vast majority of Americans do think they are better than the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#38]
all americans or just us texans?\\
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Our country has the balls to take a position and stick with it, good, bad, or otherwise.  While they are trying to out bid each other to see who can appease our enemies more, we are solving the worlds problems.  We are simply on a different page.  I think it is because we understand the problem and they (EU nations) have their heads in the sand.

You mean "compromise?"
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#40]
A dutch friend of mine did the whole route'66 in a car a few years ago. The idea that he got was that most people were very hospitable. What he did find strange was that most people he met actually seldom left their home town and very few had traveled out of their home state, let alone out of the country. As a consequence those people had no idea whats going on outside their home town. Also in the middle states (i think he meant Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, im not sure anymore) the people seemed to be very poor, badly built houses, worn out infrastructure, absolutely nothing to do. It looked like 3rd world there, not as the richest nation on earth.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Who cares what smelly foreigners think?

I vote this one,especially the frenchies.

FUCK THE FRENCH

AMERICA FUCK YEA!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
A dutch friend of mine did the whole route'66 in a car a few years ago. The idea that he got was that most people were very hospitable. What he did find strange was that most people he met actually seldom left their home town and very few had traveled out of their home state, let alone out of the country. As a consequence those people had no idea whats going on outside their home town. Also in the middle states (i think he meant Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, im not sure anymore) the people seemed to be very poor, badly built houses, worn out infrastructure, absolutely nothing to do. It looked like 3rd world there, not as the richest nation on earth.

+ 1 billion...

Only 20% of Americans have passports and even less actually use them.  This goes a long way towards creating the attitude that what yoo do and think is the only correct way.

And to the person who said that the Romans, Alexander the Great, etc., were also arrogant; that is incorrect.  Before Ceasar or Alexander would go into a country, they went to great lengths to learn and understand the culture and history of the people and DID NOT try to change the lives or beliefs of conquered peoples.  Alexander had many historians in his army to teach him and upon conquering a city would very often lower taxes, restore their "ancient ways" and keep the existing govt intact.  He would however, leave one of his commanders as governor and a small number of troops to keep order.  Unless of course you really pissed him off; then he would kill all the men, sell the women and children intot slavery and burn down the city....

The way you gain peoples respect (and in return, their compliance) is by respecting their culture and beliefs...its just human nature.  This is how its happened over thousands of years and it doesnt change just cuz youre the big kid on the block now
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Basically, the average American has no idea what happens outside of the US news (which is entirely US-centric).  Whereas other countries tend to focus more globally.  This is a generalization of course, but that's more or less what people see.  People of other countries interpret this as arrogrance when it's more like ignorance.

i haven't read every reply, i don't have the time, so this may be a dupe reply.  We influence the world more than the world influences us.  That is also why other countries focus outwards.  It is because other countries influence them.  We are not affected that way.  We focus more on other states.  We are far more likely to influence each other than another country is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

+1
Some of it is just foreigners with sour grapes attitude but some Americans actually are arrogant.

I've seen Americans complaining because a Buddhist temple doesn't have a McDonald's in it.
On a different occasion an American makes a fuss because a Chinese whore house doesn't have a good selection of white girls.

That is definitely arrogance by my standards.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Basically, the average American has no idea what happens outside of the US news (which is entirely US-centric).  Whereas other countries tend to focus more globally.  This is a generalization of course, but that's more or less what people see.  People of other countries interpret this as arrogrance when it's more like ignorance.

i haven't read every reply, i don't have the time, so this may be a dupe reply.  We influence the world more than the world influences us.  That is also why other countries focus outwards.  It is because other countries influence them.  We are not affected that way.  We focus more on other states.  We are far more likely to influence each other than another country is.

...and also the fact that you have to cross big ass oceans to get to almost all other countries.  Americans just dont have the day to day interaction with other cultures that most of the world has
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Nah, most europeans dont think americans are arrogant, most europeans think the french are arrogant .
I for one certainly appreciate USA's position as a world power. If America would stop projecting its power in the world and instead adopt a policy of political isolation, russian tanks would start rolling over the borders of my country right now, chinese cruise missiles would slam into Taiwan right now etc. etc.

Thank you Madis.I know that all right thinking peoples the world over will in time join me in my hatred of the french
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
As a non American who has has a lot of contact with Y'all I'd only go so far as to say that "some" Americans are arrogant, but that goes for every nationality on earth...
For the most part the Americans I've met have been regular normal decent folks...
The ones who were a**holes would probably been as such no matter where they had been born.

Girlieman, if the Americans you have come in contact with have been mostly "firearms enthusiasts", I fear your population sample might be rather heavily statistically weighted toward the "arrogant" side of the spectrum, with a higher than average "a##hole" standard deviation
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Girlieman, if the Americans you have come in contact with have been mostly "firearms enthusiasts", I fear your population sample might be rather heavily statistically weighted toward the "arrogant" side of the spectrum, with a higher than average "a##hole" standard deviation

Fear not.... I have not found that to be the case.
There's usually one or two in every crowd, but I'll stand by my completely unscientific and bias laced research

Come to think of it... I'd hafta say gun haters (American and otherwise) are more prone to arrogance than are shooters... Y'know, how they look down their nose at ya 'cause you're so uncivilized as to own a gun.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Because we are.....the world sees us as a country that doesn't care about anyone else but us, and for the most part they are correct. What the world sees is actions like Bode Miller, and the girl snowboarder who tried to showboat andd lost a position, they see a country that finances people like Saddam Hussein in the 80's, and then turns around and goes to war against him twice while using WMD as an excuse that many people around the world didn't buy.....

As the most powerful nation in the world, the rest of the world uses us as their police force....and when we start up a military action the rest of the world usually thinks " great, here goes the US of A sticking their nose where it doesn't belong again...."

BTW, the day we start to think that we are better than everyone else is the first day of our decline.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Euros wrote the book on being arrogant! America is the "upstart" newcomer according to the euros. They THINK we have no right to be arrogant, yet it's OK for them to be? They have looked down on us from the start. Who do they ALWAYS call for help? AMERICA, thats who. Do we hesitate, NO. Do they, fuck yes! We are not the most arrogant nation on this planet.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top