Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 3:11:52 PM EDT
I worked on the NMCI project at NOB for awhile when it was in its infancy. SlimHazy and I were just talking two weeks ago about how badly he hates having to use it at his work. Looks like he's in for a few more years.

wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=1178824

PLANO, Texas (AP) -- The Navy said Friday it has extended by three years a multi-billion-dollar contract under which Electronic Data Systems Corp. is building a communications network for the Navy and Marine Corps.

The extension, through September 2010, will add an estimated $3.1 billion to the contract, which was previously worth about $8.8 billion in revenue.

The Navy also agreed to pay EDS $100 million to settle the company's complaints against the service, while EDS agreed to a 15 percent discount on work stations. Other terms of the contract, including the buyback value of equipment being used by the Navy, were also changed.

EDS officials have been negotiating for a contract extension for several months. Work on the contract was more complicated than EDS first believed, and the contract was a cash drain on the company for several years.

Delores M. Etter, assistant Navy secretary for research and development, said it was best for the Navy to exercise the option early. The contract, known as NMCI, wasn't due to expire for 18 months.

"NMCI has become a vital part of our day-to-day naval operations, and I felt it critically important that we not lose connectivity for our users, particularly at a critical time in the global war on terrorism," she said.

EDS Chairman and Chief Executive Michael Jordan called the extension a significant achievement for his company.

The network covers 290,000 work stations at more than 1,000 sites. EDS said the network stopped 20 million unauthorized access attempts and eliminated 70,000 computer viruses last year.

The Navy contract, EDS' largest government deal, was seen as a coup when it was awarded in 2000 at an original value of $6.9 billion in revenue. However, EDS soon found that revenue was outstripped by costs, as the company struggled to transform the Navy's aging computer programs into a faster and more secure network. Along the way, Congress also imposed tougher testing requirements on the system.

Before the announcement, shares of Plano-based EDS rose 8 cents, to close at $27.56 Friday on the New York Stock Exchange.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Swell.....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
NMCI..  Slow, slow, slow...  Waste of money at a time when they are cutting manpower.  All so we can have a navy.mil email addy...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never seen Navy networks work that well in the first place. NMCI just happens to be an easy scapegoat.

This is the first Windows based network that I've had no problems with; although, if you need service it seems frustrating.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've never seen Navy networks work that well in the first place. NMCI just happens to be an easy scapegoat.

This is the first Windows based network that I've had no problems with; although, if you need service it seems frustrating.

To me what is even more maddening is that approved Software must be in DADMs.
So even if a person has an S&T seat, they still have to get their tools approved. And some of the SW listed in DADMs is not necessarily the best. And getting FAM approval is a pain in the butt.
(SECNAVINST 5000.36A)

And oh yes...NMCI Bytes.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To me what is even more maddening is that approved Software must be in DADMs.
So even if a person has an S&T seat, they still have to get their tools approved. And some of the SW listed in DADMs is not necessarily the best. And getting FAM approval is a pain in the butt.
(SECNAVINST 5000.36A)

And oh yes...NMCI Bytes.

There are some problems with NMCI no doubt. However, I remember the "good old days." Like transferring 3 times in one year and losing productivity because each time I transferred I needed a new account established and then had to make contact again with a whole address book full of people each time. NMCI allieviates that to a great extent.

In my current assignment I travel a great deal. Again, without NMCI or a system like it, that would be a royal pain. At least now, I know if I didn't bring something with me, I'm not totally screwed because I can hop on NMCI and get it. That and I can actually deal with things that come up via email instead of waiting a week.

That said, I was getting the PIN reset on m ID card and asked the PS if that system was on NMCI. It wasn't. They still have to use the legacy system because their software isn't NMCI friendly. Unbelievable. The CAC card has been out what 10 years? Close to it. NMCI has been out five. There's just no excuse for that. And I know that's not the only piece of legacy software that isn't NMCI "friendly."

We've also had to develop software tools that were either Microsoft Office based or Web based, neither of which are ideal for the application, because getting NMCI approval is a PITA and we just couldn't wait that long.

So yes, it does have its warts, but it does have its upside as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top