Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have to say the stores losing the guns do not sell enough.  Wal mart bows only to money.  if stocking guns in a particular store negatively affects the bottom line, they will remove them.   I guarantee they will not remove the guns from their gunnutville location to appease a few anti's (or thousands of picketers for that matter).  If wal mart was about appeasement they would be union and paying cashiers 40k a year with a reach around each monday, wednesday, and friday.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
E-mail sent.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
it's not the quantity of the bump..... it's the quality of the bump
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Just emailed this:

This is concerning your recent decision to halt sales of guns and ammunition in your stores.

I'm disappointed of this decision.  Many times I drive a little farther to Walmart because I can buy my normal purchases and pickup some ammunition at the same time.  

If ammunition and guns are no longer going to be at my Walmart, I will not drive the extra distance to patronize your store.

Thank you for your time and I hope my voice is heard.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I could care less. Actually I hope they quit selling ammo also.

If Wal-Mart falls, then so will other stores. Eventually, Cabelas, Outdoor World, ect.

It's not just about Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, Walmart has the right to sell whatever the hell they want, and if they feel they can make more money selling product that they can move much faster than their guns & ammo section, it's their decision.

The BEST way to keep WW selling guns and ammo, is to go and stock up more often! Dollars talk louder than words.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and don't forget to tell them to start selling EBR's,handguns and defense ammo instead of only WWB.

WM use to stock AR's and handguns on the rack.

Support your local business. Buy local.

what if we live in bentonville arkansas?

then, wal-mart is local
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Sent.  Let's hope they pull their head out of their ass and tell the Brady bunch to take a hike.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]
e-mail sent.

will call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a friend that was formerly "garage" FFL.  Walmart put him out of business.  They were selling guns for what he was paying for them.  I just heard the same thing directly from a major BMG rifle manufacturer.  He wanted a Remington 700.  Walmart sells it for what he can get it for.  

No kidding.

When/If Walmart stops selling guns they will fill the empty shelves with products from China, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and any other foreign made product that we Americans can't stop buying.

This is a no shitter guys.  Read the fine print the next time you're in a Walmart (or any other retail store).

Shoes - Korea
Sweaters - Pakistan
Tools - Mexico
et-cetera ad nauseum

This didn't happen overnight and it didn't happen on a whim.  End consumers dictate what an industry does and doesn't do.  And it's taken a few decades to reach this point.

Did I get off topic?  No, this is directly and proportionately related.  Imagine you have a retail business.  You pay rent for a finite amount of real estate.  What will you put in each square foot of space?  Products that are low turnover and low profit?  Or products that are higher turnover and higher profit?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#12]
If wal-mart (or anyone for that matter) stops selling any product to satisfy a group that DOES NOT BUY THAT PRODUCT ANYWAY all they accomplish is giving up sales.
its like not selling meat cause the vegitarians dont like the meat department. Stupid.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#13]
email sent
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did not expect that response from you.

You are, of course entitled to it.

It's just surpriseing is all.

There were places to buy guns and ammo before WM. Hopefully the gunsstores left will benefit and grow.

I hate WM.

Capitalism, it's the American way.
How many threads are made on here weekly about the poor service/outrageous prices in local gunshops?  There is a good reason their business is struggling, and it's not b/c of Walmart.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Sent..... As for local places. Wal-Mart IS local to me......

I like WM and will continue to go there, but it will be less money spent each month.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Support your local business. Buy local.

I do support local business. My walmart is in the same town I am.

BTW, until I had a Walmart in my end of town, there were NO gunshops and worse, no businesses at all. Now, Wally world brought a whole new development to our city, and they sell guns to boot.

There are small businesses opening up near our new Walmart every day. So much for that "putting the small guy out of business" horseshit. Oh, and there's a new gunshop too.

Stick that in your Walmart-hater-cap and smoke it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#18]
What I wrote:

It has come to my attention that Wal-Mart is coming under pressure from certain anti-gun organizations to cease the selling of firearms and ammunition. I wish to voice my vehement opposition to such a measure. The blatant fearmongering and doomsday predictions of the anti-gun movement are hollow and shameless, and their repeated predictions of bloodshed and mayhem resulting from retail arms and ammunition sales are proven patently wrong time and time again. To cease the sale of ammunition and firearms would cost your company many millions of dollars in lost customers, as many of us would cease to patronize your store simply on grounds of principle alone. We have done so with Kmart, and other stores who buckled to the pressure from this small yet vocal minority of anti-gun activists. I have personally spent thousands of dollars on ammunition alone at WalMarts around the country. I can purchase it more cheaply online, but buy it at Walmart because of the convenience. I was extremely disappointed when our local store ceased the sale of the Winchester 55gr .223 FMJ 40-rd value pack, and would cease patronizing your store completely if ammunition was removed entirely from the inventory.
We are a large, organized and politically active group. Losing our business would be a most unfortunate and costly decision. I urge you to ignore the pressure from these tiny groups of gun-fearing individuals, and continue to sell (and expand) your firearms and ammunition inventory.

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There were places to buy guns and ammo before WM. Hopefully the gunsstores left will benefit and grow.

I hate WM.

Capitalism, it's the American way.
How many threads are made on here weekly about the poor service/outrageous prices in local gunshops?  There is a good reason their business is struggling, and it's not b/c of Walmart.

+1

Competition is what America is all about.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#20]
So they need a poll to help decide if they should bow to pressure from the anti gunners?

How about if I just not shop there based upon that alone.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Best  gun Ive ever seen at a WalMart was a Mini14, and walmart ere doesnt sell anything to do with firearms (plenty of airsoft, paintball, and bb guns though).  Walmart can suck my ass.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I have yet to be able to purchase ammo at a wal-mart.
It never seems to be convenient to have an attendant around
to pull the stuff out of their locked cases.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate WM.

I like Valuepacks.  Mom and Pop can kiss my ass.

+1 if "mom and pop" gunstores wanted my buisiness they would approach reasonable pricess and try to keep things that interest me in stock.  The only thing I buy from them is what I have to.  And I can safely say that they won't get any new buisiness from me because of this (a few online ammo places will though)

Just to inject some REALITY into the situation.

Mom and Pop CAN'T compete with Wal Mart. My DEALER PRICE + shipping is almost exactly the same price as Wal Mart retail on guns and ammo.

NO Mom and Pop store gets the same volume discount as a 25,000 chain store.

I buy my ammo at Wal Mart because even with sales tax it is usually CHEAPER for me to buy it at WalMart than it is to ORDER it at dealer price.

My solution of course is, if Wal Mart sells it...don't even bother.

But it isn't because Mom & Pop have huge markups.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If Wal-Mart falls, then so will other stores. Eventually, Cabelas, Outdoor World, ect.

It's not just about Wal-Mart.

I doubt that scenario. The ones you mention are geared towards guns and ammo sales, Wal Mart can get by without them. In fact Wal Mart dropping guns and ammo would actually help the stores you mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate WM.

I like Valuepacks.  Mom and Pop can kiss my ass.

+1 if "mom and pop" gunstores wanted my buisiness they would approach reasonable pricess and try to keep things that interest me in stock.  The only thing I buy from them is what I have to.  And I can safely say that they won't get any new buisiness from me because of this (a few online ammo places will though)

Just to inject some REALITY into the situation.

Mom and Pop CAN'T compete with Wal Mart. My DEALER PRICE + shipping is almost exactly the same price as Wal Mart retail on guns and ammo.

NO Mom and Pop store gets the same volume discount as a 25,000 chain store.

I buy my ammo at Wal Mart because even with sales tax it is usually CHEAPER for me to buy it at WalMart than it is to ORDER it at dealer price.

My solution of course is, if Wal Mart sells it...don't even bother.

But it isn't because Mom & Pop have huge markups.

I don't know the dealer prices of Wally World's guns, but I know this much for absolute fact....their retail prices are higher than some of my local small shops.

For instance, they sell 10/22's for $189.99. My local FFL sells the crap out of them for $169, and has done so for a long time. If his price IS $189.99, he's losing $20 on each gun. I know he's not doing that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:23:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Gee whiz. The gun and ammo business survived when Firestone Stores (yep, the tire store use to sell guns and ammo) quit selling, same thing after Sears, Montgomery Ward, K-Mart (remember when K was bigger than WM?), most of your hardware stores sold guns and ammo. I'm sure there are many more that escape me at the moment.

I even remember when you could buy AR's in a WM. Did the AR business fail after they quit stocking them? I don't think so.

I really doubt the gun and ammo business is going away just because WM can make more money utilizing the shelf dedicated to firearms for something else.

As demonstrated many times here. Shooters are a very small percentage of the population these days.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't choose to shop for guns at Wal*Mart or any other chain department/discount store. I just pass by the display case. I go to gun/hunting stores to do my ogling and playing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#28]
bump
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#29]
$20 for a box of 50 Magtech .45ACP at the Mom and Pop... or $13 for WWB .45ACP at Wal-Mart.

Think I'll go write my e-mail.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate WM.

Yeah, but who do you dislike more, WalMart or the gungrabbers? If was the chairman of the board at WMT I'd still call. And I will.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I sent them an email for all the good it will do.  Since when does Wal-mart listen to customers?  That stopped when Sam Walton died.

I also sent them one asking when they are going to pull the self-checkout lanes.  Those things cause more headaches that they're worth.  Once more, that email will go into file 13 as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Email sent and bump.

Also - If Wal-Mart is so concerned with the anti-gunners, and wants to be a good corporate citizen by not selling guns and ammo, then why don't they remove tobacco products from their stores as well?

How about all the Obesity inducing snack foods too? When I go into Wal-Mart, I feel like I should carry a whale harpoon.

Thar she blows!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Email sent
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Here's the email that I received this morning:

At Wal-Mart, we strive to provide merchandise to meet consumer demand in a given community.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has made a business decision to remove firearms from approximately 1000 locations within the U.S. beginning March 6, 2006.  This decision is based on diminished customer relevancy and demand within multiple markets.

As with all merchandise decisions that we make our decision to remove guns from Wal-Mart locations is simply based on the lack of customer demand for firearms in a given community.  We will now be able to utilize our resources more effectively to provide customers with the merchandise that they wish to purchase -- and to discontinue merchandise that they show no interest in.

Thank you,

Customer Relations

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Walmart has one policy and only one... PROFIT

they could give a shit about anti or pro gun agendas. If ammo and firearm sales make money they stock them. if not the shitcan them in favor of something that WILL.

That is as it should be. No one can expect them to stock items that don't move.

If your statement above is true than any contact by us is only a few minutes wasted.

If you are wrong and they are influenced by non financial considerations, maybe it will do some good to contact them. Again, a couple of minutes of our time. If all the yapping done in this thread had been aimed at their site we would have crashed the servers.

Yeah, shooters may be a small percentage of the population, but if they spend ten minutes rationalizing why they won't spend two to do something that might be constructive, they'll be an even smaller percentage down the road. Count on it.

As for the statement they only care what sells, didn't they pull some DVDs, CDs in response to content? (Not counting the album that criticized them for selling firearms to kids!).
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

At Wal-Mart, we strive to provide merchandise to meet consumer demand in a given community.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has made a business decision to remove firearms from approximately 1000 locations within the U.S. beginning March 6, 2006.  This decision is based on diminished customer relevancy and demand within multiple markets.

As with all merchandise decisions that we make our decision to remove guns from Wal-Mart locations is simply based on the lack of customer demand for firearms in a given community.  We will now be able to utilize our resources more effectively to provide customers with the merchandise that they wish to purchase -- and to discontinue merchandise that they show no interest in.

Thank you,

Customer Relations

automated response.message i got.

Thank you for your message.

At Wal-Mart, we strive to provide merchandise to meet consumer demand
in a given community.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has made a business decision to remove firearms
from approximately 1000 locations within the U.S. beginning March 6,
2006.  This decision is based on diminished customer relevancy and demand
within multiple markets.  

As with all merchandise decisions that we make our decision to remove
guns from Wal-Mart locations is simply based on the lack of customer
demand for firearms in a given community.  We will now be able to utilize
our resources more effectively to provide customers with the
merchandise that they wish to purchase -- and to discontinue merchandise that
they show no interest in.  

Thank you,

Customer Relations

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
and don't forget to tell them to start selling EBR's,handguns and defense ammo instead of only WWB.

I reckon if you got hit by a couple WWBs you'd die plenty good.  

What's "defense ammo?"

I guess WWBs would just bounce off jackets.......

What I mean is I would like more variety in their selection instead of FMJ 115gr 9mm 165gr.40... etc, it would be nice to get heavier bullets and hollow points instead of the target/plinking.
When I ask if they sell Gold Dot and the cashier points to the art/craft section it's rather depressing

Two nights ago, I was in Wal-Mart picking up a few things and stopped by the sporting goods to pick up soome ammo for my new XD 45.  I asked the guy if they carried any personal defense ammo.  He looked and said sorry we don't have any.  I looked in the section where he was searching and said that I'd just take one of those boxes of Winchester White box marked 230 grain JHP Personal Defense.  

(Yes I know they aren't the best I can get, but I figured it would be better than FMJs until I can get some Gold Dots or Rangers)

He apologized for not seeing them and that was that.  Anyway, evidently some Wal-Marts do carry a small selection.

As for the argument about buying from my local gunstores, I checked and most of them have a very limited supply of ammo as well.  Why pay them a ton of money to order what I want when I can do the same thing myself without the huge mark up and have it delivered right to my house?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Ok...As was said...Can people let go of their Wal Mart prejudice to
stand up for the second ammendment?

We'll see where the loyalties are.

I have never seen another chain ask for the public to voice their opinion on this subject.  Good for them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I understand the cost vs. profit thing.  I'm not angry about that.

I do a lot of travel and one thing that stays constant, almost no matter where I am, is there will be a Wal Mart.  Hell, when I was in China they had Wal Mart.

But I also like to go shooting when I am out of town.  I always try to keep X amount of rounds with me for my pistol which is usually defensive type ammunition.  Range ammo is limited because I am driving somewhere whith my gear, clothes, etc. and 1,000 rounds sometimes doesn't fit.  So where do I get ammo?  

Local gun shop?  Maybe if they are open after I get off of work.  Even if they are the prices are probably rather expensive compared to Wal Mart's super death bulk purchase price.

Sporting goods store?  Not always around.  Also might not have much in stock (Wal Mart here in Shreveport, LA has more pistol ammo in stock than Bass Pro, or at least they did a few days ago).

Then there are the Internet retailers.  No problem ordering when I am at home but hotels don't often like to receive 1,000 rounds of 5.56 and 500 rounds of .45 ACP.  It makes the staff a "little nervous."

So where does that leave me?  Wally world.  Lowes or Home Depot doesn't sell ammo.  Kroger, Alberstons, etc. doesn't sell ammo.  What is a shooter to do?

There is a local place I have been shooting here that sells their own "brand" of ammo.  Its reloads.  I don't trust their reloads and don't even know if the manufactures of my firearms would warranant my gun if it blows up shooting their reloads.

Wally World and WWB all the way!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you,

Customer Relations

in a given community.

within multiple markets.  

Thank you,

Customer Relations

That response is what the young lady with whom I talked said, based on demands from those stores.  It's a business decision based on sales.  How dare them!

I did express to her that they should go back to selling any legal firearm including ARs.  She said they are documenting all the responses they get, either via e-mail or telephone.  So, when you e-mail them or call them, mention the ARs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Done.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#43]
called
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you,

Customer Relations

in a given community.

within multiple markets.  

Thank you,

Customer Relations

Exact same response here too
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Email sent...bump.

HH
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Got the same canned response everyone else has posted.  I did mention that discontinuing guns and ammo would make me and my family much less likely to shop at Wally World in the future.  Vote with your feet people.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Got the same canned response everyone else has posted.  I did mention that discontinuing guns and ammo would make me and my family much less likely to shop at Wally World in the future.  Vote with your feet people.  

I only wish that would happen. But I doubt it very seriously.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#48]
done
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Thank you,

Customer Relations

Same response I got.

ETA: my reply:

I can certainly understand removal of a product for lack of demand. In theory then, in stores where demand is high can we expect an expanded product line to include semi automatic sporting rifles (AR-15, SKS, AK47) and accesories? Possibly even handguns? As I stated in my original message, the fact that wal mart carries fire arms, ammunition, and accesories is the only thing that sets your store apart from your competitors.

Thank you again for your time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I could care less about WM and their gun and ammo sales. Or lack there of.

And I doubt very seriously if WM does not sell guns and ammo the people are going to be deprived.

I agree with that statement, and I, frankly, hope WalMarts new "superstore" in Marysville, OH dies.... I do NOT see it succeeding... but then, maybe I'm wrong.

Thing is, the MORE places that DO sell guns and AMMO, the safer the 2nd, will I buy from them? Hell no. BUT, that won't stop me from making a call and letting them know that if they DO this, that I'll remove my, and my EXTENDED families' support. And do everything possible to see to it their new store dies. (I'll say it nicer, don't worry). It's 1st day was Wednesday.... yes, THIS Wednesday.

YMMV.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top