Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/23/2006 3:26:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 10:14:05 AM EDT by raf]
Just thinking, but how is Utah? Is it completely overrun by Mormons? I was thinking over moving there. Are there more gu store there than Montana? What about jobs? Thanks.

Please, no cuss words in thread titles. Thx, raf
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:27:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MT-Gun-Nut:
Is Utah a shitty state?

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:29:12 PM EDT
I know a Jewish family that got pulled over for 5 MPH over the speed limit on a highway in Utah. The state trooper made a point of qiizzing them about their religion, then insisted on following them to a nearby constabulatory where they were compelled to pay the fine on the spot.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:29:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

Is Utah a shitty state?

Yes.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:32:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Echo_Hotel:

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

Is Utah a shitty state?

Yes.

+1

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:32:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:33:58 PM EDT
Utah is okay. Very gun friendly though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:36:20 PM EDT
Mormons, meth heads, and a few completely crazy Natives are what I saw there. It has some good to it, but there's no way I'd ever live there. No offense to the good Utes, Utahvians, or what ever you call yourselves.

Seriously, how many names do you guys have for yourselves. Here in Nebraska, we're Nebraskans. What's up with that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:37:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 3:41:06 PM EDT by steve-oh]
I believe the corect terminology is "utard". And if someone is mormon it can be said that they are "utarded"
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:39:13 PM EDT
I live north of Utah, but I think my thoughts would be echoed by even people from the beehive state. It is a fairly gun-friendly state; it even recognizes CCW permits from Idaho! Yes, there are a ton of Mormons, who in turn have influence over their Legislature. As such, the drinking laws in Utah are whacky!

Jobs don't pay very well even in Salt Lake City. Housing costs are going up dramatically. A quarter million dollars will buy you a moderate home.

My final recommendation: pick another state to live.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:39:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By steve-oh:
I believe the corect terminology is "utard". And if some is mormon it can be said that they are "utarded"

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:40:03 PM EDT
Utah is an awesome state. Beautiful, good gun laws and very friendly people. Never yet met a Mormom who wasn't very nice and friendly.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:40:19 PM EDT
There are fucking weirdos like any other place... The mormons could be a -1 if it bothers you. I stay on the highway to and from Lake Powell. Never had big problems...

I hear their State Patrol is s real "Yes Sir, No Sir" kind of operation. Be the best idear to keep that car right on the speed limit.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:44:07 PM EDT
^ Been to all the places posted in those photos. Mostly been to the entire western area.

Was thinking about moving near the SLC area for Snowboarding. Anybody know if the cost of living is expensive there?

Colorado is too expensive for me but I wanna snowboard next winter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:45:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ICEAGE:
^ Been to all the places posted in those photos. Mostly been to the entire western area.

Was thinking about moving near the SLC area for Snowboarding. Anybody know if the cost of living is expensive there?

Go to realtor.com and type in the amount you want to pay for a house and see what it gets you for the money.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:48:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ICEAGE:

You definitely won't regret spending a winter in UT. It isn't the most exciting place (read, no nightlife at all), but the snow is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:50:04 PM EDT

Are the gun Laws better than Montana?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 3:51:32 PM EDT by blacklisted]

img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/sr338/icansee4miles.jpg

Where was that pic taken?

I don't mind mormons, they are friendly people. At least when they don't go door to door.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 3:55:07 PM EDT by imposter]
Mormon 'culture' is stuffy, but people are generally pretty nice and it one of the most scenic places in the world.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:55:16 PM EDT
Should I try for Idaho instead?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:55:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By imposter:
Mormon 'culture' is a stuffy, but people are generally pretty nice and it one of the most scenic places in the world.

You want to stay on the good side of Mormons. Remember the Mountain Meadow Massacre!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 3:58:11 PM EDT by JDeere_1530]
My ex-wife lives there. It is obviously one of the seven layers of hell.

Edit- I just noticed this is my 69th post. How fitting that it would be about Satan's youngest daughter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:57:17 PM EDT
The snowboarding is excellent in Utah!

And the chick working at the Powder Keg had a great set of fake tits
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:01:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By blacklisted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/sr338/icansee4miles.jpg

Where was that pic taken?

I don't mind mormons, they are friendly people. At least when they don't go door to door.

Make it clear you aren't interested and you will weed out the religion hacks from the sincere humans.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:02:36 PM EDT
3.2% Beer...

Need i say more?
~Dg84
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:04:30 PM EDT

Idaho has a sizable Mormon population too last I heard but it is not 50% and growing though.

I grew up in a Mormon church (Athiest now) Mormons are almost always good people, they are generlly tolerant(not evangelical at all) they belive in and respect privacy and you will find no bigger supporter of gun rights. Mormons are not bad just clarify your not interested in converting.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:06:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mattl:

Idaho has a sizable Mormon population too last I heard but it is not 50% and growing though.

I grew up in a Mormon church (Athiest now) Mormons are almost always good people, they are generlly tolerant(not evangelical at all) they belive in and respect privacy and you will find no bigger supporter of gun rights. Mormons are not bad just clarify your not interested in converting.

There are just enough Mormons in Idaho to make it conservative and generally a good place to live. We are way low on strip clubs, though!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:12:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Midnight-Sniper:

Originally Posted By Mattl:

There are just enough Mormons in Idaho to make it conservative and generally a good place to live. We are way low on strip clubs, though!

Ironic really since the Mormons brought Vegas into existence and apparently still get a cut.

A start.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:15:12 PM EDT
Great place for outdoor sports, fantastic mountains, skiing, off roading, hiking, hunting. I was on assignment there for 18 months.

SLC is not cheap. If you can deal with the alcohol restrictions and the limited shopping selections in the stores you'll have a H - E double hockey sticks of a time.

And Oh my heck! if your not LDS you are going to have a problem finding a decent job.

Better like green jello too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 4:30:35 PM EDT by ED_P]
Utah has some pretty landscapes.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:23:42 PM EDT
beautiful scenery
for all the mormon talk I saw a liquor store and strip club within an easy walk of the main temple in salt lake city
according to packing.org they even recognize NY CCW, hell, not even NYC will recognize my NY CCW

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:24:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ED_P:
Utah has some pretty landscapes.

It sure does.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:51:17 PM EDT
Utah is a fantastic state for anyone who like the outdoors. Friendly folks, incredible skiing, hiking & camping, fishing, fantastic scenery... nowhere better in the lower 48. Costs are going up due to migrations from other states. If you have a good job, you can live comfortably, although not as well as you could have before the Olympics. SLC gets bad weather inversions in the summer and it gets pretty uncomfortable there in hot weather. BTW, I understand there are actually more Mormons in Idaho than in Utah.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:37:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
Utah is a fantastic state for anyone who like the outdoors. Friendly folks, incredible skiing, hiking & camping, fishing, fantastic scenery... nowhere better in the lower 48. Costs are going up due to migrations from other states. If you have a good job, you can live comfortably, although not as well as you could have before the Olympics. SLC gets bad weather inversions in the summer and it gets pretty uncomfortable there in hot weather. BTW, I understand there are actually more Mormons in Idaho than in Utah.

How 'bout some facts to back that up? I also highly dispute your statement that there is "nowhere better in the lower 48" than Utah. We in Idaho earn just as much (if not more) than people in Utah and with just 1.3 million in the whole state of Idaho it is a much better all-around place to live.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:47:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:

How 'bout some facts to back that up? I also highly dispute your statement that there is "nowhere better in the lower 48" than Utah. We in Idaho earn just as much (if not more) than people in Utah and with just 1.3 million in the whole state of Idaho it is a much better all-around place to live.

I'll eat crow on the "more Mormons in Idaho"... did some surfing and it looks like Utah is still #1. As far as the "nowhere better" for "Friendly folks, incredible skiing, hiking & camping, fishing, fantastic scenery"... you are welcome to dispute that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:01:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By doorgunner84:
3.2% Beer...

Need i say more?
~Dg84

What about hard-licker?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:01:54 PM EDT
I lived in Utah once, that is to say that I resided there for TEN EXCRUTIATING MONTHS! It's not all the drinking laws or crazy pretty families or even the Mormons that bother me. I am Mormon, actually, and so I can say that people dislike Mormons because of Utah Mormons. That aside, being in Utah is like being in a different country. Different laws, crazy taxes, sky high living costs for mediocre pay, weird public school systems. They do have breathtaking views and being in the Wasatch mountains was one of the greatest times of my life. Gun laws are pretty nice and pretty much any cop I met was an A-hole. Pick somewhere else. I myself am moving to Colorado to escape the rising costs here in Arizona and to go somewhere where there are white people.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:22:47 PM EDT
Dont' be an airman stationed in Hill AFB dating a mormon.......That is all......
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:45:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rizzo1318:
I lived in Utah once, that is to say that I resided there for TEN EXCRUTIATING MONTHS! It's not all the drinking laws or crazy pretty families or even the Mormons that bother me. I am Mormon, actually, and so I can say that people dislike Mormons because of Utah Mormons. That aside, being in Utah is like being in a different country. Different laws, crazy taxes, sky high living costs for mediocre pay, weird public school systems. They do have breathtaking views and being in the Wasatch mountains was one of the greatest times of my life. Gun laws are pretty nice and pretty much any cop I met was an A-hole. Pick somewhere else. I myself am moving to Colorado to escape the rising costs here in Arizona and to go somewhere where there are white people.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:52:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 6:55:57 PM EDT by jnewson]
Originally Posted By sharky30:
beautiful scenery
for all the mormon talk I saw a liquor store and strip club within an easy walk of the main temple in salt lake city
according to packing.org they even recognize NY CCW, hell, not even NYC will recognize my NY CCW

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:17:27 PM EDT

Just as many Mormons in Ida-ho (no, you-da-ho) too.

Yea...Utah is pretty shitty......better stay away so there is room for me when I give NY the big middle finger this summer and move back there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:19:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By doorgunner84:
3.2% Beer...

Need i say more?
~Dg84

Not if you shop at the class 6 like me.

I think you can buy the stronger stuff at the state liquor store
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 7:29:32 PM EDT by SKSseven]

Go to realtor.com and type in the amount you want to pay for a house and see what it gets you for the money.

Dream home
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:30:34 PM EDT

my god that's a beautiful view!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:36:43 PM EDT
The family and I are looking at moving to Utah in the next year or so.

House we are looking at
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:39:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jnewson:
beautiful scenery

Liuor stores are everywhere, and there is a titty bar on Beck St not too far north of downtown SLC.

How could you be from Utah and not know these things?

I lived there for 2 1/2 years and would move back in a heartbeat. Very gun friendly, lots of public land for hunting, camping, hiking, etc. Skiing is said to be fantastic (I'm not a skier).

The liquor laws are no more screwy than other places I've lived (Kansas, Arkansas and Texas - dry counties, etc.)

Low crime rates, and the Mormon thing didn't bother me at all (and I'm not Mormon). In fact the mormons are IMHO very good people.

Anyone who wouldn't like Utah would definately be happier in Kalifornia or New York!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:41:19 PM EDT
Montana may not have the best gun stores but not many places where you can drive a 1/2 mile and go shooting for free and with out rules.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:47:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Warhawk:

Originally Posted By jnewson:
beautiful scenery

Liuor stores are everywhere, and there is a titty bar on Beck St not too far north of downtown SLC.

How could you be from Utah and not know these things?

Maybe you consider 3 miles on a 50 MPH heavy traffic road with no sidewalks in an industrial area "within an easy walk of the main temple in salt lake city", but I sure don't.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:00:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:13:04 PM EDT
Here is one more house we like

click here
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:06:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 9:07:32 PM EDT by rogerdodger]
Wyoming doesnt suck, think the gun laws are pretty decent too

Grand Tetons, nicest place ive ever been

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top