Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Its part of the best fuckin country on the face of the globe, automatically giving it some redeeming value.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Utah is okay. Very gun friendly though.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/sr338/icansee4miles.jpg

Thats an amazing picture. Any chance you have a high-res version of it?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah well I heard.......

Give me a break!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know a Jewish family that got pulled over for 5 MPH over the speed limit on a highway in Utah.  The state trooper made a point of qiizzing them about their religion, then insisted on following them to a nearby constabulatory where they were compelled to pay the fine on the spot.

With the speed I was goin', I probably would have gotten the chair!

ETA:  I probably broke the Mormon sound barrier, which ought to be right around 81 Mph.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It will be quite popular after the TEOTWAWKI.

When the Mormon missionaries showed up at my door, I said "Not today. But in case the SHTF, put me down on the "Auxiliaries" list as a friend in time of need." They laughed. I was only partly joking.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I believe the corect terminology is "utard". And if someone is mormon it can be said that they are "utarded"

I really need to get a keyboard cover for my PowerBook...

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Steve-oh.....other side of the lake I see, one of my favorite places to go shooting as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:15:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A quarter million dollars will buy you a moderate home.

Sounds like paradise to me...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know a Jewish family that got pulled over for 5 MPH over the speed limit on a highway in Utah.  The state trooper made a point of qiizzing them about their religion, then insisted on following them to a nearby constabulatory where they were compelled to pay the fine on the spot.

With the speed I was goin', I probably would have gotten the chair!

ETA:  I probably broke the Mormon sound barrier, which ought to be right around 81 Mph.  

The Mormon sound barrier is much higher than that . . .
Just ask about President McKay . . . he was well known for doing Mach 1 along the roads in his Caddy.  No cop in Utah was going to give the president of the church a ticket, not in Utah.

I served as a missionary for the Church . . . in Utah, up in Ogden.  

Coiuple of the missionaries were working in downtown Ogden (bad crime, per capita) and one of the cops offered the guys the use of his service weapon while they were out going door to door.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:24:48 AM EDT
[#10]
NO VACANCY

<---------------
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:
beautiful scenery
for all the mormon talk I saw a liquor store and strip club within an easy walk of the main temple in salt lake city
according to packing.org they even recognize NY CCW, hell, not even NYC will recognize my NY CCW

I don't know how far naked they got, but the sign said nude dancers. We were driving back towards downtown from the college and passed it
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Who fucken cares about the people.
People suck where ever you move.

this is true .  i also think there are some good people wherever you go , just not enough of them .

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:51:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Housing costs are going up dramatically.  A quarter million dollars will buy you a moderate home.

Hell that's awesome! In most parts of this country a quarter of a million doesn't even get you a condo. I would consider those housing prices excellent!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I did a nickel in Utah.  Let me explain something.  If you haven't live in or been to Utah, you have NO idea what people are talking about  when it comoes to  Mormons.  Generally they are average people like everyone else,  but in utah they are some fucked up people.  I  don't  have  time to bitch enough about them.  I will say that I  haven't met a single  one who has lived up to the  morals they pushed on me and I have not met one that has any clue about reality.  I am a better person than 99.99999% of the judgmental fuckups in Utah.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
beautiful scenery
for all the mormon talk I saw a liquor store and strip club within an easy walk of the main temple in salt lake city
according to packing.org they even recognize NY CCW, hell, not even NYC will recognize my NY CCW

I don't know how far naked they got, but the sign said nude dancers. We were driving back towards downtown from the college and passed it

When I was there in 2001, they had to stay behind a rail several feet from the customers, couldn't do lap dances, and had to wear PASTIES.  Just fucking wierd.

Liquor laws are bad and prices suck at the state stores.  No discounts for larger packs of beer, for example.  I.e. a case of beer costs as much as 24 singles, with a hefty per bottle tax.  And they have and alcohol enforcement division to catch people coming in from the state line (which is crawling with HUGE liquor stores).

Other than that, nice people, pretty clean, actually has some interesting stuff to see and do, and very scenic.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I did a nickel in Utah.  Let me explain something.  If you haven't live in or been to Utah, you have NO idea what people are talking about  when it comoes to  Mormons.  Generally they are average people like everyone else,  but in utah they are some fucked up people.  I  don't  have  time to bitch enough about them.  I will say that I  haven't met a single  one who has lived up to the  morals they pushed on me and I have not met one that has any clue about reality.  I am a better person than 99.99999% of the judgmental fuckups in Utah.

And, based on what you just wrote, you're not judgemental at all...... .

All you people...STAY AWAY FROM UTAH. IT SUCKS. Only people like me can handle it.

NOTE: the above comments are meant to keep people away so just me and my buddies can enjoy Utah's millions of acres of freedomland.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#17]
ive lived in utah for 11 years now and like every where else good points and bad .the gun laws are good .theres a lot to do outside pleanty of liquer stores i drink8.1% beer and its only 1.90 for a 24 oz can.very tuff to get a good paying job the god damn temp agencys have everything wrapped up.theres a kind of overall ignorance at least here in utah county that can be very aggravaiting .as far as the mormans go there nice on the surface but theres some very strange shit that goes on under the surface and there are some kids that cant play with my daughter because we dont go to there church but for the most part they are good nieghbors and they bent oyer backwards to help when my wife died she was lds but i dont think it would have matterd one way or another .for me the pros have outweighed the cons so i have stayed here but if i was strarting over i think i would look elsewhere.my job moved out here is how i wound up here but if your just looking to relocate i would do a lot of research and visiting to see whats right for you
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#18]
The women in SLC are beautifull. I'm guessing because of Bring'em Young University
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The women in SLC are beautifull. I'm guessing because of Bring'em Young University

BYU is in Provo(40 minute drive south), they're even prettier there than in SLC.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#20]
There's an amazing amount of ignorance about Utah from some people on this board.

1.  Mormons:

The Mormons settled Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, and even parts of California back in the 1840's, 50's, and 60's.  Why?  Because their bloodthirsty neighbors back east forced them out at gunpoint and the Mormons were desperate to find a place of refuge.  At the time practically nobody wanted anything to do with the deserts and mountains of the region, so the Mormons settled the unwanted land in hope of living in peace.

Complaining about the Mormon influence in Utah is about as logical as complaining about the Jewish influence in Israel or the Catholic influence at tha Vatican.  The Mormons settled the area and are primarily responsible for shaping it, over the past 150 years, into what it is today.  If a person is too bigoted or judgemental to live around Mormons, that person is welcome to find another place to live.  

If a person is going to gripe about the odd liquor laws, work with the legislature to change things or shut up.  Most Mormons don't drink and aren't fond of its affects on people and society.  Don't expect a whole lot of sympathy for one's liquor cravings.  If you have a problem with that, refer back to who settled this region to begin with.  If you want more liquor friendly laws, SLC and Park City are probably the places you want to be, as they tend to have the highest populations of non-Mormons.

As for living around Mormons, they tend to be good and friendly people.  Yes, they are sometimes click-ish.  It is often unintentional.  The Church is not only a group for worship but also serves as a social group, often hosting dinners, Christmas activities, Halloween activities, "Turkeybowl" football games at Thanksgiving, etc.  Be assertive and usually you'll find yourself invited to take part in these activities.  No, you don't have to be a Mormon at all to participate.

A few small communities can be stand-offish to outsiders, but in those cases it doesn't matter what your religion is.  If your great great great grandfather wasn't one of the original settlers, they couldn't care less who you are.

2.  Employment:

Utah, especially Salt Lake County and Utah County, is absolutely flooded with educated labor.  Expect real competition for white collar jobs.  The problem is that there are tons of college graduates, and not enough employers in the region.  The result is that white collar pay isn't anywhere near what it should be because qualified workers are a dime a dozen.

Construction and a few other industries are going gangbusters, so if that's your thing you'll find a lot of potential work.

No, religious affiliation does not come into play with employment.  If it ever does, please press discrimination charges.

3.  Housing:

Thousands and thousands of Californians are cashing out on the inflated California housing market and moving to Utah.  They literally can move from a tiny home in California into a small mansion in Utah with money left over.  The result from this migration is that Utah housing prices are going through the ceiling.  When you factor the increasing housing prices with the above mentioned low pay, it is getting harder and harder for native Utahns to afford a house here.

4.  Gun laws:

This was the home of John Moses Browning.  Mormons, as a group, understand the need for arms better than the vast majority of the country.  Mormons learned the hard way the importance of being able to defend themselves when they were murdered and driven from their homes back east.
No, not all Mormons are pro-gun, and the LDS Church doesn't argue one way or the other regarding firearms ownership.

However, gun laws are very, very good here.  You can legally carry your CCW onto school grounds if you wish.  The newly transplanted Californians are trying to ruin our gun laws in Utah, but fortunately they haven't gotten anywhere with their anti-gun attitude.

5.  Police:

There are good cops and bad cops here just like anywhere else.  The majority I've had contact with were good down to earth people.  No, religion has never come up in any conversation with a police officer in any of my experiences involving traffic stops, accidents, etc.  Not with me, my wife, or anybody we know.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Good post Shane.

I love it here, Drive an hour in any direction and get a dirfferent landscape; snow, lakes in the summer, desert, mountains, pine forests, aspen forests, cliffs, even wetlands.  We have it all.

If y'all don't like places with a religious majority i hope you don't live in the south with all the baptists, or in some NY neighborhood with all Catholics, or Jews, or anywhere else for that matter.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#22]
View from my front door.  Taken several months ago when the snow was just starting to come down at the end of fall.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Housing costs are going up dramatically.  A quarter million dollars will buy you a moderate home.

Hell that's awesome! In most parts of this country a quarter of a million doesn't even get you a condo. I would consider those housing prices excellent!

It's the exact opposite, geographically. $250,000 will get you 5+ acres and a 3000+ sq foot home in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas...need I go on? I understand that NOVA is ridiculously expensive, but honestly most areas of the country are actually pretty cheap to live in - even with the reduced wages.

Less than a year ago, my folks picked up a 6000+ sq ft Victorian on a little over an acre (with a shop, even) for $180,000. It's a beautiful home, on a wooded lot. Most folks around here consider that to be pretty expensive for a house, considering that you can pick up a nice little house in town for $70k all day long.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

there is a titty bar on Beck St not too far north of downtown SLC.

Used to be called Northern Exposure, right up the street from the Jimax Lounge.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Mormons, meth heads, and a few completely crazy Natives are what I saw there. It has some good to it, but there's no way I'd ever live there. No offense to the good Utes, Utahvians, or what ever you call yourselves.

Seriously, how many names do you guys have for yourselves. Here in Nebraska, we're Nebraskans. What's up with that.

Utahns is the correct nomenclature I believe(Atleast its what I seen in the Tribune),  I'm currrently in SLC on business.

Linked is a page w/ pics from my crappy camera phone sofar
www.kcaug.org/suse/Brainshare_2006
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just looked it up on Google.  I think it's being called "Southern Exposure" now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Well its got Mormons...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been in there. I mostly went to the 'mother in laws club', a country bar place way out on south state, and the little joint next to the popo shop in downtown.  Several years ago I did a consult in SLC. I liked it. Not everyone in Utah is a Mormon.

The liquor laws do suck though. Metro SLC has only one store where you can buy wine and beer over 3.2%. It's seperate than the numerous hard liquor stores. My consultancy was for a chain of  upscale dinner houses, so I had to become fairly intimate with Utahs' liquor laws. That wasn't easy because they are so ludicrous! For instance, a server in a resturaunt can't ask you if you would like a cocktail before you order...they must phrase it as "would you care for a beverage".

Another stupid law: you can't have more than one - 1ounce shot in front of you, (no doubles),....but you can have a pitcher of beer in front of you.

There seemed to be plenty of service jobs, but few white collar jobs. The Universities graduate a slew of degreed people who want to stay in Utah.

I could go on......

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I believe the corect terminology is "utard". And if someone is mormon it can be said that they are "utarded"

I really need to get a keyboard cover for my PowerBook...

"Utahn" and they speak "Utahnics"

As with Ebonics, people who speak Utahnics are genetically pre-disposed to do so. Therefore, I am convinced that we must allocate funds to teach Utahnics to non-natives. I have included a few Utahnics phrases below to illustrate the magnitude of the problem.

"djeet?" ("Did you eat?")
"lawnmore" (lawn mower)
"leafblore" (leaf blower)
"cha" (You)
"ain'tcha?" (Aren't you?)
"dcha?" (Did you?)
"djew?" ("Did you?", Panguitch version)
"squeet" ("Let's go eat)
"Lardy, Darthy, that's a gargeous ahrange farmal!" ("Lordy, Dorothy, that's a gorgeous orange formal!")

Here is a typical Utahnics conversation:
LaVerl: "Djeet yet?"
LaVell: "No, djew?"
LaVar: "Squeet!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That's nice. I wish I had that view from my house. I also love going to Moab, so I say no, it's not shitty!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mormons, meth heads, and a few completely crazy Natives are what I saw there. It has some good to it, but there's no way I'd ever live there. No offense to the good Utes, Utahvians, or what ever you call yourselves.

Seriously, how many names do you guys have for yourselves. Here in Nebraska, we're Nebraskans. What's up with that.

Utahns is the correct nomenclature I believe(Atleast its what I seen in the Tribune),  I'm currrently in SLC on business.

If you get back to Iggys, ask for Dave Apatchian (the owner), and tell him Chris from Kentucky said "hi"! It looks like you are staying in the hotel across the parking lot from Iggys. Have you been to Mullboons on the top floor? They have pretty good food.

The Pepper Corn is good too. And the little bar next to the downtown police station gets filled up with college gals about 10PM!

Have fun in SLC!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you get back to Iggys, ask for Dave Apatchian (the owner), and tell him Chris from Kentucky said "hi"! It looks like you are staying in the hotel across the parking lot from Iggys. Have you been to Mullboons on the top floor? They have pretty good food.

The Pepper Corn is good too. And the little bar next to the downtown police station gets filled up with college gals about 10PM!

Have fun in SLC!

I had an Iggys within walking distance up in Layton.  Great food and hot chicks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have fun in SLC!

I'm actually staying in the RedLion, and its top floor bar is called "They Sky Bar"  andi  the waitresses wear corsets
Dunno if I'll make it back to iggys, but if so I will tell him.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have fun in SLC!

I'm actually staying in the RedLion, and its top floor bar is called "They Sky Bar"  andi  the waitresses wear corsets

Yup, Mulboons has been replaced by a dance club.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Everybody and their dog has already moved here or is making plans. Now stop posting pictures of the scenery! You're making them want to move here!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Wyoming doesnt suck, think the gun laws are pretty decent too

Grand Tetons, nicest place ive ever been

I'd say so!  Saying Wyoming's gun laws are "pretty decent" is like saying Hillary Clinton is "kind of a cunt".

Wyming's gun laws are fucking awesome, almost up there with Alaska and Vermont.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wyoming doesnt suck, think the gun laws are pretty decent too

Grand Tetons, nicest place ive ever been

I'd say so!  Saying Wyoming's gun laws are "pretty decent" is like saying Hillary Clinton is "kind of a cunt".

Wyming's gun laws are fucking awesome, almost up there with Alaska and Vermont.

im going to wyoming!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#38]
bbbbbbbbbbbbb

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have fun in SLC!

So...have all the Mulboons gone under? They had one out at about 7200 South State. That's where I had my office.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#39]
The mormons suck there is no seperation of church and state,The church does dictates alot of the laws but will never admit it!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The mormons suck there is no seperation of church and state,The church does dictates alot of the laws but will never admit it!!!!

There is separation of church and state:  the state will not dictate how you worship.  The fact that the voters here do not vote in people who will enact laws which go against their beliefs (most of the time).  This is how it is SUPPOSED to work.  Don't like how it works?  The exit is ---->
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been in there. I mostly went to the 'mother in laws club', a country bar place way out on south state, and the little joint next to the popo shop in downtown.  Several years ago I did a consult in SLC. I liked it. Not everyone in Utah is a Mormon.

The liquor laws do suck though. Metro SLC has only one store where you can buy wine and beer over 3.2%. It's seperate than the numerous hard liquor stores. My consultancy was for a chain of  upscale dinner houses, so I had to become fairly intimate with Utahs' liquor laws. That wasn't easy because they are so ludicrous! For instance, a server in a resturaunt can't ask you if you would like a cocktail before you order...they must phrase it as "would you care for a beverage".

Another stupid law: you can't have more than one - 1ounce shot in front of you, (no doubles),....but you can have a pitcher of beer in front of you.

There seemed to be plenty of service jobs, but few white collar jobs. The Universities graduate a slew of degreed people who want to stay in Utah.

I could go on......

Lots of high tech white collar jobs in the SLC metro area.  Also have 13,000 good paying civilian jobs at Hill AFB up near Layton.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have fun in SLC!

Man I miss Mulboons, they had an awesome free shrimp bowl!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
bbbbbbbbbbbbb

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have fun in SLC!

So...have all the Mulboons gone under? They had one out at about 7200 South State. That's where I had my office.

That one, and the one at Trolley Corners are both gone also.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#44]
SLC is the ONLY major city I have been to in the last 10 years that you can walk the streets downtown after dark without worry or fear.

Park City is where I am going when I win the Lotto :)

Alabama Sucks !
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Very scenic state. Absolutely stunning when the weather is good. Dry (humidty wise) as hell though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Just my opinion seeee...  Utah bunch of holy then though bible thumping Mormons.........Other then that lots of great gun laws.  Sure beats CAli when it comes to gun laws.  Peace.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Hahaha..........Now that is to funny....... for some one who is born and raised in the Porn state of Cali.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Shhhhhhhhhh.............Opps did I say Utah is a cult waiting for there day in rapture.  Hehehee, ha.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

How can Utah "NOT" be gun friendly with all that open space and rural view.  Come on people.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Shhhhhhhhhh.............Opps did I say Utah is a cult waiting for there day in rapture.  Hehehee, ha.  

Piney, when you want to be schooled about religion, then take it to the religion forum.

'Rapture' buncha retards . . . Mormons don't believe in a'Rapture'.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top