Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2001 6:27:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Price aside, what would you prefer to have, for your self defense?

----------------------

Adaptability is the key to survival!!
View Quote

No comparision...The MP5.  The MP5 is vastly superior to the Uzi.  I own both (Action Arms Uzi).  And I can tell you the Uzi sits in the safe.  The HK get's out just about once a month.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have access to both, as well as the HK-PDW (which I personally prefer to the MP-5). [b]If[/b] price is not an issue, then I think the HKs are the way to go, just based upon the number and quality of the accessories available for that line, as well as overall quality.

But PRICE is always a consideration with us, so we have a lot more UZIs around then we do HKs! UZI parts are unbelievably cheaper than HKs, just think of the FN-Uzi parts kits around for $150.00 -$175.00! Think you could buy a full parts kit for an HK for that kind of money?

When the SHTF actually happens, my choice would be different - the UZI is far and above the better weapon to have when there is no one from whom you can obtain repairs, barrels, parts, etc.  It is more robust and able to take an incredible amount of abuse, the kind that would invaribly break something, you know, crucial in an HK.

The UZI would be my choice if I could only have one of the two.

Eric The(ButILikeThePDWBetterForFun!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately in the modern US of A the answer is neither for self defense.  All to often we are judged by the appereance of a situation.  Thus even if you used one of the afore mentioned guns in a completely justifiable situation a good lawyer would portray you as a gun nut running around with a machine gun looking for someone to shoot.  Thats why my vector stays in the vault and a colt 45 stays by my bed.  Now if you are talking hypothetical the uzi is a great fun gun to shoot alot($50 barrel that can be changed in two minutes) but the MP-5 is first class all the way.
But hey everyone has an opinion.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

When the SHTF actually happens, my choice would be different - the UZI is far and above the better weapon to have when there is no one from whom you can obtain repairs, barrels, parts, etc.  It is more robust and able to take an incredible amount of abuse, the kind that would invaribly break something, you know, crucial in an HK.

The UZI would be my choice if I could only have one of the two.

Eric The(ButILikeThePDWBetterForFun!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

I won't waste my time typing a response. Eric The Hun covered everything I wanted to say. Vote #2 for the UZI as the better hard use weapon.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently had the chance to fire both guns at a full auto rental range in New Hampshire this past June. My experience is admittedly limited, but I was surprised at how controllable and accurate the Uzi was on full burp. 30 shots into one ragged hole at 7 yds. Virtually ZERO muzzle climb. The MP5 was also a very nice gun, reasonably accurate and controllable, but the UZI was definitely the sleeper out of the 5 subguns I shot.

If NY were to miraculously become class 3, I would probably be giving Vector Arms a call.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#6]
MP5 but do you really need a submachine gun for self-defense?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Post from ECS -
View Quote

[b]Need?[/b] Who said anything about NEED?[:D]
Not sitting here in my office in North Dallas, but maybe on the farm in a SHTF scenario.

BTW, I just thought of a 'hands down' reason that the UZI is superior to the MP-5 line of weapons!

[size=4]You can get kits for the UZI that permit you to fire .45 ACP and .22 cal, from the same weapon! Try that with a MP-5![/size=4]

As a matter of fact the only conversion kit with which I am familiar is the factory .22 cal kit for the HK-91.  It looks very nice in the box, and I suggest that is where you most likely will find it - IN THE BOX!  We've never been able to achieve any kind of reliability from the HK-91 w/.22 cal conversion kit. At least not the same as with the .22 conversion kit on the UZI. It's a real zipper!

I've heard that HK made a .22 conversion kit for the HK-93, but I've never SEEN one and the price for the one I heard about was $1,700.00!!
Compared with approx. $500.00 for the HK-91 kit!

Eric The(UZIDoesIt!)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Post from ECS -
View Quote

[b]Need?[/b] Who said anything about NEED?[:D]
Not sitting here in my office in North Dallas, but maybe on the farm in a SHTF scenario.

BTW, I just thought of a 'hands down' reason that the UZI is superior to the MP-5 line of weapons!

[size=4]You can get kits for the UZI that permit you to fire .45 ACP and .22 cal, from the same weapon! Try that with a MP-5![/size=4]

As a matter of fact the only conversion kit with which I am familiar is the factory .22 cal kit for the HK-91.  It looks very nice in the box, and I suggest that is where you most likely will find it - IN THE BOX!  We've never been able to achieve any kind of reliability from the HK-91 w/.22 cal conversion kit. At least not the same as with the .22 conversion kit on the UZI. It's a real zipper!

I've heard that HK made a .22 conversion kit for the HK-93, but I've never SEEN one and the price for the one I heard about was $1,700.00!!
Compared with approx. $500.00 for the HK-91 kit!

Eric The(UZIDoesIt!)Hun[>]:)]

View Quote

OK you win, I surrender. Can I keep my tinfoil hat?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Can I keep my tinfoil hat?
View Quote

Sure, why not? BTW, what'd I win? [>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget the Colt SMG. Mines, quieter than the MP5SD, looks a damn site better, and VERY controllable.

[url]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=258760&a=13421952&p=52238933[/url]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Reliability on the Colt SMG is worse than the MP5 and UZI, IMO.
According to a Colt factory rep that I spoke to, Colt redisigned the UZI mag instead of spending the money to mill the opening of the M16 mag well wider. The redisigned mags are the weak link of the system.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#16]
First off, you must understand, as a soldier, I see everything from a military point of view (rim fire kits, and parts are not an issue for me).

As far as I am concerned the Uzi is a clunky old 'SMG', and the MP5 beats it hands down, firing from a closed bolt, higher rate of fire, and the safety is more 'ergonomic' than the Uzi. The stock is also easier to extend, and more solid.

I have fired both, and I am familiar with them both a great deal, but the MP5 wins! In short, I'd rather have my soldiers armed with MP5s than Uzis.

As for the Uzi, it it a true SMG, open bolt firing, simple in design, and strips fast, and has won its place in SMG fame. Its a truely great weapon its own right. I see the MP5 as a mini 'assualt rifle', with better sights, and in general much more friendlier to use.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll take the MP5
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Reliability on the Colt SMG is worse than the MP5 and UZI, IMO.
According to a Colt factory rep that I spoke to, Colt redisigned the UZI mag instead of spending the money to mill the opening of the M16 mag well wider. The redisigned mags are the weak link of the system.
View Quote

I think what puts the Colt SMG in third also, is that it is a conversion, not a SMG-only platform. Sort of a second thought by Colt to compete with the MP-5. From what I hear, plenty of LE's still have them in their arsenal.

The mag statement is true. But, I've gotten some good reliable (factory Colt) mags and got my little beast running like a top. Haven't a failure in a long time.

And their's always the mulit-caliber conversions... Pretty good bang for the buck.

Also, you may call me vain, but I'm not going to use my subgun professionally, so when I was deciding on a suppressed SMG, I took into consideration the following:
- function (took the mid-road with the Colt - got lucky and got mine running quite well)
- familiarity (have other M16's/AR15's)
- looks (man MP-5/UZI may look good in the picures, but in person, they are ugly - mines purdy)
- compactness (there is no UZI-SD - gets pretty long with a can, MP5-SD is really pricy and about the same size as mine with the Gemtech Talon-SD upper - mine is alot cheaper and servicable - of course MP-5 has true collapsible stock)
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#19]
i picked up an uzi once ( i think it was david highlines) at a gunshow, i though it was real heavy, but then again, it had a big ass supressor on it
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#20]
why not just use an M1 carbine with a choate folding stock? its lighter then the UZI and cheaper then the HK-MP5. you can buy 30rd mags all day long at gunshows and parts are easily avialble and cheap. if used for defense it would be easier to defend in court; it being an old WW2 gun and all [:D]

plus the .30 carbine round is more potent and has better range then the 9mm round. low recoil and accuracy for easy handling!!!

i dont own an M1 lib
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:49:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Shot both and really don't like the UZI. I'd take the MP5 in any case.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#22]
No contest, MP5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top