Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 8:57:35 AM EDT
Supposedly he wants to serve, personally I think the guy is a little bit too much of a computer nerd/pussy.  He is a nice enough guy and smart but I really dont think he can cut it.  First off he is a big time city slicker, and I dont think he will adapt well to the field.

Secondly he is a very quiet/private person and not very social, this is not going to be a good adaption especially with how close you have to live with your buddies in the Army.

I straight up told him you are probably going to get your ass kicked in basic and you are probably going to have  miserable time.

He does not want combat arms and thinks he can find a cushy job as a Signal Officer working on a computer, he says the recruiter told him its guarranteed and they go to a different basic than enlisted?

This sounds like Pure BS to me, I thought there was a guy in my platoon at basic who was going to OCS after basic????

I told him with his weak physical condition he will probably struggle thru basic, then flunk out of OCS and he will end up as a E4 in Korea as a ammo bearer.  I wasn't trying to offend him, I just was making a point that the Army owns your ass, if you dont become a officer they are going to get time out of you another way?

he says i'm full of it and its guaranteed...

yeah dont listen to me what do i know, recruiters always tell the truth
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#1]
anyone know how it works if you fail OCS??
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I was going to go the OCS route too...My recruiter told me that I would go through the same basic training as the enlisted.  My AIT would be going to OCS.   I believe the only other way around that is to complete a 4 year ROTC program at a Senior military college like WP, VMI, NGCSU, etc etc etc....
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#3]
OCS - Requires that you enlist in to the Army National Guard.  There are 2 ways to do this.  First you can enlist and go to basic training and advanced individual training in a job you are qualified to get.  This opens the door to some incentives/bonuses for enlisting and taking a "critical job".  This option would require you to spend at least 14 weeks on active duty for training which is dependent upon the job you would be qualified for.  More technical jobs would require longer training.  Upon completing your basic training and AIT, you would enroll in to the OCS program.  The second option is enlist under the OCS enlistment option.  This program will allow you to go to basic training and return back to Illinois to enroll in to the OCS enlistment option.  Sounds temping?  It is, however history has proven that those who take this route with no prior military service have a difficult time with OCS.  It is purely your unfamiliarity with the military because you have only received 8-9 weeks of training to prepare you for OCS.  It can be done.  If you choose this program, no incentives are offered for you to join.  Now lets get in to the OCS program.

There are 4 OCS options.
   1.  Traditional OCS - This is one weekend a month for 14 continuous months with two 2 week annual training held in the summer over the course of 18 months.  Generally starts every March and ends August of the following year.  IE, This years class started last weekend and will go to July 2007 and commission the class in August.  Once completed your commissioned a Second Lieutenant.
   2.  OCS Accelerated 501 program - This program is 4 months of 1 weekend a month with 8 straight weeks of OCS over the summer (June to early August.  Once completed your commissioned a Second Lieutenant.
   3.  Accelerated OCS - This program is 8 straight weeks of OCS at Ft. McClellan, Alabama from January to March every year.  Once completed your commissioned a Second Lieutenant.
   4.  Federal OCS - This program is 14 straight weeks of OCS at Ft. Benning, Georgia.  There is no guarantee when you will attend this course upon submitting your application.  For instance with the 3 options above, you know when each one will start and end.  For this option, you submit your application and if accepted, the Active Army will give you a seat for it's first available class which might be immediately or 6 months down the road.  

Remember, OCS is not necessarily an environment where they teach you to lead, they evaluate your leadership.  You get taught skills that officers require to be successful, but it is foremost a test of your leadership skills.  This is why generally the OCS enlistment option folks have a more difficult time with OCS.  They haven't had enough experience to make those split second decisions which leaders have to make and the more experience you have, the easier it is to make those decisions.  Now you have some things going for you that would help you and that is your age which maturity goes a long way and also your completed degree which indicates intelligence.  So, think this over and if you are interested still, give me a call and I can help you with whatever you need.

I contacted a officer recruiter last week and this is what he told me.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#4]
1911greg,
Get your friend to go to www.armyocs.com. It's a forum for Army OCS and it has a lot of good information. There's no point in arguing with your friend.
And yes, you are not guaranteed a branch. But, I hope that's not a deal breaker for your friend.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think the guy is a little bit too much of a computer nerd/pussy.  

Could be me. I'm an IT guy and a dedicated gamer.

First off he is a big time city slicker, and I dont think he will adapt well to the field.

Definitely could be me. I'm a dedicated urbanite. Don't get on well in the countryside.

Secondly he is a very quiet/private person and not very social, this is not going to be a good adaption especially with how close you have to live with your buddies in the Army.

I've been described as a bit of a loner on occasion...

I straight up told him you are probably going to get your ass kicked in basic and you are probably going to have  miserable time.

I can't say I overly enjoyed it, but being somewhat smart, I got it easier than some of the idiots I went to basic with.

I survived basic, OCS and Iraq. I'm sure he can too.

He does not want combat arms and thinks he can find a cushy job as a Signal Officer working on a computer, he says the recruiter told him its guarranteed and they go to a different basic than enlisted?

Not necessarily. A signals job may or may not be on the cards depending on slots available.
Any BCT (Not OSUT) could fill the requirement. He could go to Knox, Benning, Jackson, Leonard-Wood... wherever the Army wants to send him. I went to Knox.

I told him with his weak physical condition he will probably struggle thru basic,

They will make you strong! I'm something of a weakling myself. Never did understand the attraction for weights/working out which seems so prevalent in the Army. OCS isn't physically as tough, it's far more a mental challenge.

I just was making a point that the Army owns your ass, if you dont become a officer they are going to get time out of you another way?

Yes.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this Guard OCS?  If so, they have a racket going.  They'll put you in with OCS in your contract.  Once you're in, you're in for whatever they want you for.  If you can't hack OCS, they'll kick you out and make you an E-2 or something and then stick you wherever they want.  Pretty good racket to get some enlisted folks, actually.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is this Guard OCS?  If so, they have a racket going.  They'll put you in with OCS in your contract.  Once you're in, you're in for whatever they want you for.  If you can't hack OCS, they'll kick you out and make you an E-2 or something and then stick you wherever they want.  Pretty good racket to get some enlisted folks, actually.  

No its not for the guard, although i know a few soldiers in the guard who have had this happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top