Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:37:57 AM EDT

I get these “need to shrink my collection” bugs every once and a while.
I have 43 firearms.  I only shoot or fondel about 15 on a regular basis.
I want a smaller number.

I see 8 guns from my collection that can go.  But 2 of them I have not got rid of because they are just real crap.  Transfer/shipping fees would be more than the price of the guns.  I don’t have gun by back programs in my area.  I’m half thinking about going to the range and yelling “guns for $30!  First come, first serve.” But that would probably look weird.

Would be an interesting EE experiment.  Put WTS Guns for $30 each.  get both for $50

I guess last resort would be go to the police station and say “here have some guns”?

I know the argument of "what are they hurting just sitting in your safe?"
But I just feel like getting rid of them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought you lost all those in the "boating accident"
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Any chance of a "Buyback" in your region? You might get $50 a pop and make your area safer for the children at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are wanting to dump them for $30 they must be junk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Hold onto them for one of those "buyback" programs.  They might give you $50 for each.  Haven't seen any of those in our area lately though.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#5]
keep for parts?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
keep for parts?

No parts they have would be usefull.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Give them to a gunsmith for parts..
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Any chance of a "Buyback" in your region? You might get $50 a pop and make your area safer for the children at the same time.

I have never seen a buyback in my region.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a barrel of guns you speak of. About 15 that are in various degrees of togetherness. Every so often when i need a part for another gun I take a couple to the local show and trade them to the parts guy. The next show I will wheel the barrel down and give him the lot. Build up a little account so to speak.

If your guns are safe and shootable, donate them to a benifit auction or find a youth that is just getting into shooting and give to him via the parents.

CH
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Give them to a gunsmith for parts..

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Aint got a Marlin model 60 hiding there do ya?     ( need parts!)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#12]
What are they, if you don't mind telling us?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What are they, if you don't mind telling us?

Davis P380.  380acp.
My first handgun.  I think I have managed to get it to feed a 6 round mag without jamming 3 times.  But usually it will jam 2-3 times out of the 6 round mag.  The whole gun is pot metal and absolute POS that will bite the bloody heck out of your thumb while shooting.  This is the gun you see on COPS all the time being taken from the drug dealers. I half worry about it bowing up.  It’s pot metal.  It scares me more than Glocks. j/k

JC Higgins 22 revolver.  I think it is model 88.
Had no rear sight.  I cut a crude one from a piece of scrap metal and shaped it with a file.  Drilled a hole in the gun and screwed the rear sight in, which wobbles all over hell.  It functions fine.  But does not really have a rear sight.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Go to a gun show and offer the whole lot to a dealer?

If you pile trash high enough, someone will bite.

Or for more fun, put them inside house walls or time capsules for future generations to enjoy.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Or for more fun, put them inside house walls or time capsules for future generations to enjoy.

Inside the walls, bad guy comes in you put your fist through the wall grab the Davis and hand it to him.    When he tries to shoot it blows up and kills him.    

I gave away an old single shot 12ga once, about 3 years later it came back.   It pops open when you fire it   I suppose it'll stay in my safe till I expire cause I damned sure aint shootin it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Inside the walls, bad guy comes in you put your fist through the wall grab the Davis and hand it to him.    When he tries to shoot it blows up and kills him.  

I gave away an old single shot 12ga once, about 3 years later it came back.   It pops open when you fire it   I suppose it'll stay in my safe till I expire cause I damned sure aint shootin it.

The mental image of that is priceless.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I enjoyed cutting up crap like that. The smell of hot metal and a carbon blade is good!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#18]
why not give the 22 away to a new shooter?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I would if it had a rear site.  it does not really have one.  The one on there is lightly held on with a screw that partially obstucts.  It wobbles, and is crooked.

Not really the best platform for a new shooter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Put on latex gloves.

Disassemble pistols as much as possible and clean thoroughly.

Wipe down ammo and load.

Drop weapons in separate ziploc bags.

Result:  Two perfect throw-down pieces.  (This is assuming there isn't a 4473 attached, of course.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Put on latex gloves.

Wipe down ammo and load.

Result:  Two perfect throw-down pieces.  (This is assuming there isn't a 4473 attached, of course.

22 no
380 yes
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would if it had a rear site.  it does not really have one.  The one on there is lightly held on with a screw that partially obstucts.  It wobbles, and is crooked.

ill pay shipping!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Put on latex gloves.

Wipe down ammo and load.

thats not a bad idea
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Aint got a Marlin model 60 hiding there do ya?     ( need parts!)

Here's some
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok, I'm dying of curiosity, what guns are so crappy that you are willing to dump them?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Ok, I'm dying of curiosity, what guns are so crappy that you are willing to dump them?

Reading is fun and educational!

Quoted:
Davis P380.  380acp.
My first handgun.  I think I have managed to get it to feed a 6 round mag without jamming 3 times.  But usually it will jam 2-3 times out of the 6 round mag.  The whole gun is pot metal and absolute POS that will bite the bloody heck out of your thumb while shooting.  This is the gun you see on COPS all the time being taken from the drug dealers. I half worry about it bowing up.  It’s pot metal.  It scares me more than Glocks. j/k

JC Higgins 22 revolver.  I think it is model 88.
Had no rear sight.  I cut a crude one from a piece of scrap metal and shaped it with a file.  Drilled a hole in the gun and screwed the rear sight in, which wobbles all over hell.  It functions fine.  But does not really have a rear sight.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#27]
take them to a gunshow and sell them to a dealer dirt cheap, you will get more from a gunshow vendor than from a gunstore, you wont get a lot but you will get more than if you brought it to a pawn shop

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#28]
There has to be an arfcommer in VA that'll take 'em off your hands for $20 each. Hell if I lived in VA I would.

The very idea of selling them to a buyback program is disgusting to me and I am saddened greatly that anyone on this board would even consider it. The principle of selling a gun (regardless of how worthless it is) to allow it to be destroyed in my opinion is just about the worst thing that a gun owner and second amendment advocate could do. Especially that .22 since it works.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I think I'll just put them on the EE here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#30]
come on do the right thing, sell it to a member of DU. they will never know its bad, heck they'll never shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
There has to be an arfcommer in VA that'll take 'em off your hands for $20 each. Hell if I lived in VA I would.

The very idea of selling them to a buyback program is disgusting to me and I am saddened greatly that anyone on this board would even consider it. The principle of selling a gun (regardless of how worthless it is) to allow it to be destroyed in my opinion is just about the worst thing that a gun owner and second amendment advocate could do. Especially that .22 since it works.

very true.  when you see their claims the next day of "we kept XX guns out of the hands of children, so the world is safer"  you can rest assured that it was YOUR gun that was going to make the world a more dangerous place unless you turned it in
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#32]
If you do decide to get rid of them, please IM me.  My father owns one of those .380s that for some odd reason he is very attached too, and it is in DIRE need of new parts =)

Quoted:
I think I'll just put them on the EE here.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Is there a gun smith school around your area?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JB Weld
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top