Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:31:58 AM EDT
Last saturday myself wife and kids were returning home from the in-laws 1 1/12 drive on I94 30 minutes into the trip i noticed a car tailing me he was making every move i did same lane changes etc as we got closer to the exit for our house I told my wife this is kinda weird this fucker has been on my ass for the last hour so i take the exit thinking it might just be a fluke guy is still following me. I turn into or sub-divison and he's still behind me so i decide i'm going to snake through the neighborhood to see what this fuck does. He stayed on me the whole way. So i finnally said enough is enough i drove down a dead-end guy still following me i got to the end of the street stopped guy stopped behind me. I got out and was approching his car and he put it in reverse and sped off. Older guy in mid to late 50's nice car wearing a suit. By the way I WAS PREPARED. I didn't get plate number or call police. WTF
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I had something like that happen a couple years ago in Tampa. I lost him when I stopped at a red light at a busy intersection and just as traffic started to move, I ran the intersection. He was stuck where he was at.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Not the way I would have handled it.

You led him into your neighborhood

You trapped yourself on a dead end street

You exited your vehicle, exposing yourself

Should have either lost him, or drove to a police station (or donut shop )
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:37:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It was stupid to box yourself in like that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What he said.

You led the guy to your home area, bad juju.

When you got out he could have killed you and then your family.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#6]
thats why i carry. my wife would have been freakin out. you never know who is a wacko any more.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I agree.  Leading him right to the local PD would've been the best bet.  Keep us posted on whether or not you catch somebody tailing you again.  I'd guess it won't be the last time-he was following you for a reason.

Watch your 6.

HH
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#9]
like I said I was prepared if he would have got out and a confrentation ensued I can assure you he would have lost. he did have out of state tags. My wife said later that she never would have noticed this. moral of the story pay attention to your environment at all times
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#10]
you think your prepared until Mr. James Bond 007 crack head pulls a rpg out on your ass, lol.

Seriously though, you should have tried to loose him and at least get his license plate # Ive had someone tail be before, ended up loosing them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
like I said I was prepared if he would have got out and a confrentation ensued I can assure you he would have lost. he did have out of state tags.

Because you are way more prepared than he could ever be.   You must be Chuck Norris.

Edit:  How were you "prepared"?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
like I said I was prepared if he would have got out and a confrentation ensued I can assure you he would have lost. he did have out of state tags. My wife said later that she never would have noticed this. moral of the story pay attention to your environment at all times

Ohhhhh, big bad Carhlr.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
like I said I was prepared if he would have got out and a confrentation ensued I can assure you he would have lost. he did have out of state tags.

Because you are way more prepared than he could ever be.   You must be Chuck Norris.

NO NO i'm not saying i'm some bad ass but with my wife and 3 young children in the car i would have stopped at nothing to protect them. Looking back I never had a plan for this sceniro. I would handle it differently like get the law on the cell and trapping this fuck. I'm worried about seeing this guy come driving up the street or pull in my drive.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

NO NO i'm not saying i'm some bad ass but with my wife and 3 young children in the car i would have stopped at nothing to protect them. Looking back I never had a plan for this sceniro. I would handle it differently like get the law on the cell and trapping this fuck. I'm worried about seeing this guy come driving up the street or pull in my drive.

By "prepared", I am assuming you were packing heat, and mentally prepared to use it.   I also presume it was still concealed.

The problem is - concealed, or even out in your hand, you are probably DEAD, followed closely by your family.

Action is virtually always faster than reaction.   If he just leaned out the window and shot you, it would be over, likely before you get a shot off.

I'm not trying to bust your balls on this, but this wasn't a good way of handling a possible threat.

I'm glad your family is safe
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well you led him to your neighborhood. Big No, No. All he has to do is cruise it to find your car.

Also what would you do if the guy shot you? Can't help the family then can you? Or run you over with his vehicle.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#18]
This happpened to me three times in twelve years as a blonde female social worker.

Male drivers of *ahem* a certain demographic following me.  I put on the flashers and drove straight to the closest police station.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So How were you prepared?   Did you have your AR with you?  What?   Anything less, and you were "trapped", not prepared.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Geeze, exit your car and pull the shorty M16.   Dump a beta C through the windshield and I'd bet he wont follow you around any more.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So How were you prepared?   Did you have your AR with you?  What?   Anything less, and you were "trapped", not prepared.

we had mr heckler and mr koch riding with us
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Geeze, exit your car and pull the shorty M16.   Dump a beta C through the windshield and I'd bet he wont follow you around any more.  

I like your train of thought
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you get the license plate?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO NO i'm not saying i'm some bad ass but with my wife and 3 young children in the car i would have stopped at nothing to protect them.

Instead of stopping at nothing, how bout next time stopping at the police station?  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Another thought:  Since it was a decently dressed older guy, did it ever occur to you that he was wanting to flag you over for a GOOD reason?  Like something was wrong with your car?

OK, maybe I'm a country gal, be we do things like that out here in the boondocks.

One time on the interstate I saw some gal driving with a passel of kids in the back, and one of them was starting to open the car door.

Not that I cared about the dumb skank, but I didn't want me or any other uninvolved party to lose a windshield to her flying offspring, so I honked and cut her off at the pass.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I would not have gotten out of the car.  Next time go to a public place.  

Some idiots tried to run my family off the road in NV when I was young and kept following us.  My dad stopped at the next gas station, went to the truck, pulled out a shotgun, held it high enough for them to see what it was, got back in the car with the gun, and drove off.  We never saw them again.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You have no way of knowing the outcome if the SHTF.
You ASSume you would prevail but sometimes bravdo does not work.
As others have said, your tactics on that day sucked.
Don't take it as an insult, take it as a learning tool.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Another thought:  Since it was a decently dressed older guy, did it ever occur to you that he was wanting to flag you over for a GOOD reason?  Like something was wrong with your car?

You don't follow someone for a HOUR to do that - you flash the lights, get along side........
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Instead of stopping at nothing, how bout next time stopping at the police station?  

sounds stupid but the police station is closed on sunday. like i said could have should have
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:03:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Did you get the license plate?

i think he made that clear here... he
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#31]
this guy could be a pedophile. Did he get a look at your kids? maybe he followed you hoping to find out where your kids lived. You should've gotton his license number. A digital camera would've been nice to have. Oh and I think it was a mistake to lead him to your neighborhood.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

OK, maybe I'm a country gal, be we do things like that out here in the boondocks.

One time on the interstate I saw some gal driving with a passel of kids in the back, and one of them was starting to open the car door.

Not that I cared about the dumb skank, but I didn't want me or any other uninvolved party to lose a windshield to her flying offspring, so I honked and cut her off at the pass.

WTF is wrong with some of the people here?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Last saturday myself wife and kids were returning home from the in-laws 1 1/12 drive on I94 30 minutes into the trip i noticed a car tailing me he was making every move i did same lane changes etc as we got closer to the exit for our house I told my wife this is kinda weird this fucker has been on my ass for the last hour so i take the exit thinking it might just be a fluke guy is still following me. I turn into or sub-divison and he's still behind me so i decide i'm going to snake through the neighborhood to see what this fuck does. He stayed on me the whole way. So i finnally said enough is enough i drove down a dead-end guy still following me i got to the end of the street stopped guy stopped behind me. I got out and was approching his car and he put it in reverse and sped off. Older guy in mid to late 50's nice car wearing a suit. By the way I WAS PREPARED. I didn't get plate number or call police. WTF

Interesting... very interesting...

If that happened to me I would be wracking my brain as to who it could be and why they would do it.

I would be thinking “what reason would an older individual in a suit have to follow me?”

If a single person in a single vehicle follows for very long he’s bound to get spotted. It seems like this guy didn’t care if he was spotted but he didn’t want to get into any nasty confrontation.

Police maybe, if they wanted you to know they were watching. However, if a confrontation seems likely I would think they would just back off and call for some kind of backup. If the cops where suspecting you of something they would have probably questioned you already... just guessing....

A private detective maybe, but they are expensive. Have you had a problem with anyone who has the money for a private detective?

A private individual maybe, but who wears a suit anymore? If he was brave enough or dumb enough to openly follow you I would think he would be brave enough or dumb enough not to back away from confrontation... .. just guessing...

Interesting..
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Buy a cell phone and call the cops, have them meet you some place and bring the guy to that area. The cop will ask him whats up. Mention to the cop that you are armed and that you think he is as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been on trips before where we were following another vehicle on the highway, and get back a ways and lose sight of the vehicle. After speeding up once and catching up with the leader... it took us a while to figure out they weren't the leader, just a similar looking van.

Perhaps the out of stater thought he was following some friends/relatives home and didn't notice untill you stepped out that you weren't who he thought you were.

But I agree with the majority of the rest of people, that parking on a dead end street and exiting your vehicle wasn't the smartest idea. If things got ugly, you limited your escape routes, and lost any cover you had. Not to mention going to a non-public place.

Just something to consider for next time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#37]
It's a wonder we didn't read about this in the news paper...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've been on trips before where we were following another vehicle on the highway, and get back a ways and lose sight of the vehicle. After speeding up once and catching up with the leader... it took us a while to figure out they weren't the leader, just a similar looking van.

Perhaps the out of stater thought he was following some friends/relatives home and didn't notice untill you stepped out that you weren't who he thought you were.

But I agree with the majority of the rest of people, that parking on a dead end street and exiting your vehicle wasn't the smartest idea. If things got ugly, you limited your escape routes, and lost any cover you had. Not to mention going to a non-public place.

Just something to consider for next time.

thats what I was thinking
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF is wrong with some of the people here?

Jeeze, it's funny!!!  I like the way she thinks!

BOT, dude he wasn't following you.

Your wife "knows" him.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Reading your post, I'd say:

1)  Extremely overconfident.
2)  Led BG to your own neighborhood.  How difficult will it be for him locate your house now?
3)  Trapping family on dead-end street while you get out
4)  Confronting an "innocent motorist" while you are committing a crime (s.s.941.23) is a great way to lose the lawsuit and get arrested.
5)  Unobservant.  How did you manage to not get the plate number?
6)  I'll put $ down saying you haven't reported this to the police yet, either.

Live & learn.  No one is born a ninja.  But do better next time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Reading your post, I'd say:

1)  Extremely overconfident.
2)  Led BG to your own neighborhood.  How difficult will it be for him locate your house now?
3)  Trapping family on dead-end street while you get out
4)  Confronting an "innocent motorist" while you are committing a crime (s.s.941.23) is a great way to lose the lawsuit and get arrested.
5)  Unobservant.  How did you manage to not get the plate number?
6)  I'll put $ down saying you haven't reported this to the police yet, either.

Live & learn.  No one is born a ninja.  But do better next time.

I committed no crime what are you talking about?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#44]
You're in Wisconsin.  With a HK.  Was the gun loaded in the car?  You just committed a class A misdemeanor, violating state statute 941.23, carry a concealed weapon.  Was the gun on your person?  Same violation.

If you didn't have the loaded gun on you when you got out to confront the other driver, you were at his mercy, and not at all "well-prepared" like you state in your earlier post.  An unloaded gun is worthless as a defensive tool.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

we had mr heckler and mr koch riding with us

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You're in Wisconsin.  With a HK.  Was the gun loaded in the car?  You just committed a class A misdemeanor, violating state statute 941.23, carry a concealed weapon.  Was the gun on your person?  Same violation.

If you didn't have the loaded gun on you when you got out to confront the other driver, you were at his mercy, and not at all "well-protected" like you state in your earlier post.

Why are you implying I have committed a crime??? I had no loaded weapon in my car or on my person last time I checked it's not illegal to transport a cased weapon!!!! You know in a perfect world I'm sure you would have done things differently. once I knew the jig was up it took all of about 2 minutes for all this to transpire. To try to say i'm the bad guy committing a crime you sir are way out of line. we live in the country no police station nearby....real easy for everyone to armchair quarterback this situation...On this day I was not expecting to have this happen this was not my fault. I was minding my own buisness HE CREATED THE SITUATION NOT ME. I WAS TRYING TO STOP IT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Relax--don't read too much into my response.  When you said you were "prepared" I think many people would assume your HK was loaded.

What possible good would a cased, unloaded pistol in your car do when you got out to confront the guy?

OK, you committed no crime, but you were completely unprepared.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you didn't have the loaded gun on you when you got out to confront the other driver, you were at his mercy, and not at all "well-protected" like you state in your earlier post.

Why are you implying I have committed a crime??? I had no loaded weapon in my car or on my person last time I checked it's not illegal to transport a cased weapon!!!! You know in a perfect world I'm sure you would have done things differently. once I knew the jig was up it took all of about 2 minutes for all this to transpire. To try to say i'm the bad guy committing a crime you sir are way out of line. we live in the country no police station nearby....real easy for everyone to armchair quarterback this situation...On this day I was not expecting to have this happen this was not my fault. I was minding my own buisness HE CREATED THE SITUATION NOT ME. I WAS TRYING TO STOP IT

Um, you really need to stop digging.  You said you were "prepared."  A pistol unloaded and cased hardly constitutes "prepared."  Were you going to call a "timeout" if he emerged from his vehicle shooting?  Geez, get a clue.  

I have a clue I nor my family will be victims period I had no idea what this clown was up to I told a story here and I get you were committing a crime Bull$hit and I'll lose the lawsuit........better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 IDID NOTHING WRONG
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top